Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Heikki360

Heikki360 Registered

Real names give realism to the game, i think it's cool. I prefer to race against David Svensson, Markus Bradl, Alessando Conti or Antonio Bravo than against xXsPeeZdEmonXx, rBeast1982, SchuHamLon_22 or Dante_Devil_Warrior.

2. Crankee Stroka

Crankee Stroka Registered

FORCED being the issue.
    I love my stupid, over the top, americanish racing name. It's well over 12 years old.
    It refers specifically to V-Twin nitro racing bikes or in fact any top fuel stroker engine.
    What if your real name was "Whimply BoomTishcar" or something o.0
    erm.. sorry Whimply, just sayin..

3. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

that is your opinion. i don't give a rat's butt what the Lobby Name is. a nickname does not detract one bit from the 'realism'

4. Heikki360

Heikki360 Registered

Of course it's my opinion, did i say otherwise? You say a nickname doesn't detract one bit from the realism, that's your opinion too.

5. Tiger

Tiger Registered

well, i didn't think that such a light subject like this one could raise such a hudge reaction!
    imho, nickname are for the virtual world that internet and online racing!
    real name are for real life, mxing the two is a bit disturbing!

and y the way, I have only positive answer concerning the procedure I explained earlier!
    waiting for confirmation by ISI team ;)

6. RBRacing

RBRacing Registered

I think when most people registered, they, like myself, assumed the nickname field would be used for online, as it is on Xbox or PSN etc. I too would prefer this option rather than the current system using real names.

7. coops

coops Banned

you can change it ,,post somewhere about it i have done it

8. Terry Schmidt

Terry Schmidt Registered

Nicknames are stupid!!!

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Apart from some good points made, our Sim Racing website actually links our race results with our forum name - so our game name MUST be the same name as our forum name for the database to work correctly.

Given we have thousands of members, it would take forever to go through and contact each member and update their profile with their real name.

10. delpinsky

delpinsky Registered

Privacy comes first, especially online.
    So I strongly believe ISI should implement an option to use your nickname instead of your real name.

For me ain't a problem using my real name but, people should be able to choose what they feel is better.
    As rFactor2 is still in "beta", then I think this is a good topic to discuss about.

11. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

and seeing that a great many here share my opinion, it should be accepted by you that we absolutely should be given the option to use our nickname online.

that is the purpose of this thread, trying to get ISI to implement the OPTION - not to decide if using 'real names' is 'better / more realistic'

115 members online now. 7 using real names :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  12. Knightwolf

Knightwolf Registered

Yep, Great idea
    +1

13. Kiro

Kiro Registered

ya well, as Scott Juliano said, you better remember to switch it back every month as the monthly updates come out or it will break.
    I switched mine back because I will never remember.
    I'll wait for the fix.

The only advantage I see is we can see our buddies online that we have known as SimGod or whatever for the last 10 years.

We thought of using our league name for first name and then nickname for last.
    Since sometimes it only shows first initial.

14. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

exactly. we need the option.

15. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Hi ,to change your name you have to firstly have "show hidden folders" checked in folder and options(go to the "view" tab).To find this go to 'User' then the 'Organise' tab top left of page
    Then go user\appdata\roaming\.rfactor\rfactor.Name File, type the name you want to see on the second line of that page and delete what you dont want IMPORTANT ,Once edited you must change the properties of this file to 'Read Only',,Also do this at your own risk as it may affect future updates,,You can over come this in the intial purchase if you only fill out the 'Surname' line only with your online nick name

16. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I remember seeing that picture about a year and a half ago or more on the iR forums Dave. Damn that's funny stuff. LMFAO. :D

18. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

But your premises are all wrong.

This is a serious issue imo. I haven't bought rF2 yet, so maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation. But I would be upset about my real name being published through "rF2 world".

There is simply no need to use a real name. It reveals REAL user information - and there is absolutely no need and no purpose served.

Whilst on the other hand, publishing real names raises myriad serious issues.

The premise should not be "what have you to hide?" but rather "what on earth are you doing putting all that information into the public realm for no good reason whatsoever?"

There is no good reason to do so, is there? I can't see how there's any sufficient reason to do so. I'd be fearful of (ISI) getting into litigation and various other troubles from such a policy.

Personally I'd feel very disinclined from using rF2 online if forced to use my real name (which would also appear on the credit card I bought it with, obviously). I'm a big ISI fan, but this seems crazy. I must be misunderstanding something.

So how does it work? Is the name taken from the credit card and purchase? Or do you just enter "your REAL name", or what?

Is there no way to offer the same controls and whatnot when using nicks as using "real names"? I don't see why.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

Let's deal with the consequences of a level of anonymity rather than abolish it.

Let the user decide, at least? ie host and client.

19. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

Obviously a Megane driver. (Probably made the mod himself......explains a lot)

20. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

@lastnameleft.

You just said you don't have rF2 so how would you know anything about the megane?! :p