ATI graphics optimization

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by NightnDay, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

When I make a profile for rFactor I get a message that no mods are installed, and the game won't run...

2. Tysonf1

Tysonf1 Registered

I have WIN 7 x64, i7 2600k 3.4 overclocked 4.5g, 8 gigs memory, two 6850 in crossfire, two Oz vertex 3 SSD in raid. Despite a good computer, i also am having problems with framerate and picture quality. I found some tweaking tip helped out.
    using catalyst 11.11.
    1)in graphics setup of game antialiasing set to none
    2)in CCC set to supersampling(this will help jagged edges)
    3)set aa to 8x (16x trade-off) I am able to still check sun occlusion without going below 30fps
    4)check enable surface format optimization (HDR will not show without it checked)
    5)Tesselation check AMD optimized
    6)checking morphilogical filtering button drops the framerates down to 15 with the other stuff where it is at.
    This gave me a playable game, not the best looking sim, but it is a beta
    I plan to try the 12.1 driver. number of sounds did not affect frame rate for me

!!!!!!!Another important update.!!!!!! When I moved the slider from performance to quality under catalyst A.I It actually improved my framerates, and I was able to move AA sliders to 16 and still maintain 52 FPS. I don't know if this was just me or what. Still using the 11.11 driver. 12.1 since it's not finished did not allow me to scale my screen size.
    The graphics with this setup are remarkably better.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: These settings work completely opposite when compared to games like F1 2011. These settings on F1 gave me 15FPS. I had to move the slider back to multi-sampling AAand turned catalyst A.I. to middle to get my FPS back to 50

3. Odje

Odje Registered

About ATI crossfire, from my tests (4870x2, benchmarking on same replay, everything max except reflections, and no HDR/AA/AF) :

CF Disabled : 51fps(100%)
    CF Set on Default mode : 66fps (129%)
    CF Set on 1x1 mode : 70fps (137%)
    CF Set on AFR Respectful : 74fps (145%)

Both GPU are being used with CF On, but only at 50 - 55% max. If anyone could confirm with his setup that the AFR option is the best for crossfire users, that would be great.

4. SHook

SHook Registered

+1

AFR gives me about 10% more frames.Went from 70 to 80fps with 5850 cf in Monaco!

5. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I managed to get 80fps with my 3870x2 everything on high except shadows medium, obviously it runs jerky, but when I press "look back" while driving the frames go up to 140fps and considerable smooth. there's something going on here.
    PS: what is AFR ? I dont have that

update: I saw AFR already at radeonPro software. and noticed too an option that nvidia users had to adjust to 1, rendering frames I think. Its there as "adjust Flip Queue size" and going to try!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  6. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

why is it obviously jerky? 80fps sounds good and should run smooth i would have thought?
    this might sound strange but have you turned off the head and cockpit shaking? as this makes it seems jerky when its not? just a thought :)

7. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

lol by jerky I mean like lag. not smooth but only lag/stuttering (single player, 0 AI players).
    only nose view seems not to lag or looking backwards in any camera xD
    cockpit shaking turned off helps in better framerate??? I have head movement 10% and for the four parameters of cockpit only 2 I use 0, like rFactor1

test with car stoped:
    cockpit camera 90fps lags
    road camera 45fps not smooth but no lag like above
    car camera 45fps "" "" ""

very confused. I will not go to bed until I have playable configuration

8. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

does seems confusing then, I have a few good online and offline races where the fps never got above 60 (as I now have vsync on), but it didn't lag and seemed fine to drive.

9. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

yeah but I found the right words to say about this. Imagine your FPS is 90 but its like 25.
    I turned ON vsync and its the same. stays 60fps but its like slideshow.

For Now I solved the stuttering changing Flip Queue size to 2.

10. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

are you using the beta 12.1a drivers?
    I have those and in ccc
    I have AA and AF set to application
    AA mode I have set to Super-Sample AA

in game I have res set to 1920x1200x32 level 3 AA
    I have reflections off
    crowd movement off
    I now have HDR on.
    all rest set to max

I have headmovement at just 4% and turned cockpit vibration down in player.plr from 1.0000 to 0.3000, makes it feel smoother.
    Rearview_Back_Clip="80.00000" too, seemed to add a few more frames.
    Flush Previous Frame="1" // Make sure command queue from previous frame is finished (may help prevent stuttering)
    Record To Memory="1" // record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)

this gives 60fps on vsync and it hardling ever dips below it :)

11. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

yep using 12.1a and everything is the same as you except all high using 1680x1050 and no AA. and cockpit vib 1.000 to 0.000
    I turned now HDR and its the same performance as off.

I believe we all dont need to worry because I believe and want to, that this will be as optimized as half life 2 engine lol

12. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Just a heads up to everyone, particularly those with ATI/AMD combinations. I had miserable frame rates at first with my system (AMD Quad 940, 4gb ddr2, HD5850, a modest system). To flog the poor horse once again, update video drivers, properly! Download new drivers, run the installation but select uninstall -remove everything. Reboot, run installation again. Your video drivers are now properly updated. Update windows! This could help improve performance of the OS, which is still taking up horsepower from the game. Finally, update your chipset drivers. If there's a new PCI-e driver available, it could make a huge difference in graphics performance. As well, consider updating your BIOS (user discretion advised). This worked wonders for me, where my bios was over a year out of date My average framerate went way up, and I'm running full detail with level 2 AA and 2x AF. Hope this sheds some light :)

13. tastyweat

tastyweat Registered

Thanks for the tip, will give it a play.

... although have just ordered a 580GTX to tide me over til Keplar :D

14. Odje

Odje Registered

i'm obviously not taking the risk of updating my gfx bios just to get 5 more fps in rF2, knowing the fact that every other games run just fine ;-)

15. 2k9

2k9 Registered

could someone from ISI confirm, that they are working on it?

16. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

My story. I hope you guys can make something of this.

Almost no stuttering with high settings but still AA is very bad. When I kick in the triplehead problems become bigger. While the frame rate seems too be like -10 fps but with 40 fps still acceptable the stutter jerkiness is much worse. My trick to discover the amount of stutter is to look at signs and buildings next to the track. The strange thing is that asking more of your pc doesn’t impact the framerate that much but especially the jerky stuttering makes it almost unpayable.
    Through the years this is something I mainly experience with Gmotor based games. When I went into triple head racing I struggled with it for some time. Every time I upgraded my GPU it seems to get a little less. I´am afraid that my recently bought 6870 again is to weak for rF2 triplehead as I thought that would be enough. I think this is a shame because the graphics aren´t that nice.
    One thing I noticed is that the detail on track is the major contributor too the stuttering. When I first tried Game Stock Racing, wich I thought I could run on triplehead, it wasn´t the case. The reason why? I think it is because of the high detailed track (trees, buildings, signs etc.) Visually the tracks aren´t that much detailed as a race07 track I think the makers overdo the detail or something on those objects.
    I upgraded my PC from DDR2 4GB to DDR3 8GB when I tried rF2 and it didn´t run smooth. This made things much better, too a point there is almost no stutter with higher settings (1920x1080). Still stutter using triplehead. Too conclude something out of these experiences is very hard. But I think the major issue with gMotor is the way it uses the memory and GPU. Is this something that will be solved in the near future? I don´t think so…sad to say…

Phenom X4 955 3,2 Ghz
    M5A9XX Mobo
    8 GB DDR3
    ATI 6870
    And a nVidia 260gtx for softth.

PS I tried my nvidia 260gtx. No better preformance but AA works like.

17. djt

djt Registered

I ended up removing the new AMD/ATI 7970 out of my one i7 setup and putting the Nvidia GTX 580 back in along with a fresh Windows install along with the 290.53 drivers to give rFactor2 a second look.

It's like night and day, at 1920x1080 resolution 8x super sampling AA/16xAF with everything at it's highest setting rFactor2 is running completely smooth with great image quality. The frame rate stays consistently above the refresh rate of the monitor (60Hz/60 FPS) so I'm able to run it with v-sync enabled.

I'm glad I didn't base my first impressions of rFactor2 strictly on what I was getting for performance/image quality with the AMD/ATI 7970. Maybe with a few Catalyst driver up dates in the future things will change but I'm not holding my breath.

18. SaS

SaS Registered

Hi Samuel, we have same PC configuration. I have no stuttering issues in any gMotor game.
    Make sure you set "flip queue size to 1" (ATI Tray tools)
    "Flush Previous Frame=1" did nothing to me.
    I am using latest 12.1a driver, seems to boost some % in performance to me.
    For better image anti-aliasing set AA level in CCC, not in rF setup and set AA to super-sampling.

My only issue so far, except poor optimization, is FPS hungry rear view mirrors. When mirrors are off I get 50% more FPS, ussually above 100 FPS.
    Track, car, opp detail HIGH, textures MAX, shadows MED, HDR ON, track refl. OFF, env refl. OFF, sun occ OFF

I use only one gpu for triple screen setup with softTH (2 DVI + 1 mini DP)

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Yeah, well every beta is different (for example DCS had humongous issues with FPS in beta), and it's usually the first step of development where you see the software running on client machines. Also, straight from the wiki:
    Betas also last for a certain period of time. If we have as much problems with FPS 4-5 months from now, then I'll start to worry.

20. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

Thanx. I´am at the office now but tonight I will test this. Doesn´t Flip queu size setting cause inputlag? Nice too hear from somebody with the same setup. I´ve got a major performance boost yesterday BTW by clocking my 955 too 3,7 ghz whole evening at 45c. No stock cooling.