ATI graphics optimization

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by NightnDay, Jan 11, 2012.

1. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

Hi,

this goes out to all the ATI card users.

So as allway and with any game I have serious issues to get a good AA.

At the moment, I force driver AA but it doesn´t work very well. Things far in the distance and stuff like fences just look horrible. For iRacing it works perfect.

What I would like to see in this thread is a screen from your ccc settings and your ingame settings.

Also I´m not sure of what to use....ingame AA or Driver AA ? and which specifications to get the max performance.
    Anybody with some settings out there?

pls keep this thread related to the ATI users.
    Thank you :)

2. shum94

shum94 Registered

There is a fps problem with ATI cards. I can run Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 or Project Cars without problems and nice rendering, with rFactor 2 i can't.

3. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I also have a problem.

I have ATI 6770, core i3 3,1 Ghz, 8GB RAM and even with low/medium settings I have about 20fps.

4. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

+1

ATI feels very neglected :(

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

Ok i'm up in the middle of the night, can't sleep so i tweaked rF 2. These offers pretty decent rendering and 30-60 fps on 1920x1080.

rFactor 2 Video Setup.jpg rFactor 2 Graphic Settings Panel.jpg CCC Panel rFactor 2 part 1.jpg CCC Panel rFactor 2 part 2.jpg

6. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Nice wallpaper!

And schumi, you running the game maxed almost, if I run those settings I get 9fps! :p

But my PC is old! Only a 4870

7. shum94

shum94 Registered

I think Anti Aliasing is the problem. Set application for aliasing and anisotropic in CCC and set in rF no anti aliasing and aniso on x2.
    Put performance everywhere in CCC but yes your graphic cards is getting old, i had it ehe.

163360TP9sRacingGTRbyiacoski.jpg

8. triebie

triebie Registered

i have a new HD6970 with the latest driver 11.12 and the graphics are absosutely miserable!
    First i had to set AA to 0 in the game settings to actually get the game to start , otherwise the game opens and all you see is a black screen with a mousepointer...
    So i had to let CCC override everything.

Ingame the graphics are blurry , no sharpness at all and the textures are flickering.
    ISI has to improve this dramatically or all ATI users are way behind!!!!!!!!
    i have no probs with any other game but with rF2 everything is just looking very bad.

so far for ATI users this game is not beta but early alpha!
    a lot of work to do till the final release!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  9. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Just in passing, I have a 6970 here at 1080p and I get very good FPS with most settings on FULL or HIGH. I'm not saying there isn't an issue with ATI, but there isn't one across the board, so it will take some looking into for sure to see if certain configurations may be having a problem, etc. Any additional info will be helpful of course...

Also, again just in passing, Use Application Settings IS recommended though, IIRC...

10. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

same issue here. best results you get by setting all driver setting to default except the aa mode on ssaa. this gives some performance hit and you might need to turn down detail level. gfx looks however pretty good like that. btw I use driver 12.1 beta. in game I have aa level 3.
    we know its beta and Isi certainly has to work on this... or maybe amd might do tweaking in the next drivers.

11. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

11.12 is the latest 'official' driver, but AMD strongly recommends using the 12.1a preview

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Catalyst121apreviewdriver.aspx

I've been using 12.1 (haven't installed 12.1a yet) for months and it's been great.

I run a single 5850 and am hoping to get decent performance at 5040x1050 (22" Eyefinity). Reports so far do not look good but a few more tedious hours of work and I'll get home to try it. Will post results later.

12. Kevin Krause

Kevin Krause Registered

Worked great!!! Thanks

ATI 5850 xfire

11.12 drivers

30-60fps

You just made my day. Thanks:cool:

13. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

i have ATI5970, (ingame AA Level3, AF 16x) default CCC and all max exept Shadows med or min. 15 AI drivers, FPS at start 30-40, in race steady 60fps with vSync

14. triebie

triebie Registered

OK, couple hours later at least i figured it out to have nice graphics and descent FPS on my ATI card.

THX for the hint to the 12.1a driver.
    I had to do a complete uninstall of all the old ATI stuff (drivers, apps etc.) and a new clean installation of the Beta driver.
    running on application controlled settings the game needs 20-30 secs. to update your settings if you change the AA level in game.

running on level4 AA, HDR disabled and everything on max is running fine, anything above is too much for my PC.
    (Win7 64, Q9550@3.2gHz, 8GB Ram, ATI HD 6970)

So excuses to ISI! it is not as bad as i first thought...but you need a lot of time to find the right settings with an ATI card...and you definitely need the newest drivers available to get the best image quality.

So after all the fiddling i would say: not that bad but room for improvement for ATI users till the final release!

15. Mee

Mee Registered

No fps problems here at Monaco: I've got a single 6950, 1920x1080, HDR on with AA at level 3, I didn't change the in-game settings because it auto-selected most settings at high/full and I get around 60-80 fps at Monaco (with about 10 AI's). So not all ATI's suffer :).

16. Jose Casanovas

Jose Casanovas Registered

What the heck guys? 60 -80 fps, whats this? are u serious? In this conditions you cant finish a decent race, i used to race with 300-400 fps, the cpu, mem, usage cpu temp all are low and the fps are low, many different config, many test done it, and the result is a slow motion driving experience trying to recognise what the hell is the marks , theres only 1 thing good, the tribunes of the tracks, may be Tilke help you.
    The Force feedback effects, are prehistoric, no possibilities to change the amount of effects and the strenght oh these effects, u only can change the ffb multiplier of the car, u dont have a good feeling in the first moments in turn , then suddenly the car drops into a barrel, the video rendering of instant replay has a lot of flickering and the shadows are poor, the physics when the car rolls are exhagerated, if u touch another car so slightly , be rdy to disapeer into a washing machine turbulence.
    Braking and steering collide always, also with brake power low, setup changes have poor difference into track

Rampage extrem mb I7 cpu

8 gig ram

6870 ati card

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  17. Mee

Mee Registered

Since my LCD screen has a refresh rate of 60 Hz I'm quite happy with anything above 60 fps...

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I'm running fully maxed on my 1gig 4890 @ 1920x1200-85Hz and get between 20 and 30 frames pretty consistently. There may be something magical about my card however since it seems to outperform alot of newer cards.

19. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

True. I have that on for almost everything. :)
    And just decide ingame for different games what i want to use. Instead od ATI controlling it all. :)

20. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

300-400 FPS? Thats' like saying that you need 1000hp car to drive to the supermarket to buy milk.
    Sorry but this is absolutely useless. Neither your Monitor nor you eyes need more than 60 FPS to have absolutely smooth experience. (anyway, if you enable Vsync, your FR will anyway be bottlenecked at 60FPS).