Framerate Stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MarcG, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

**Potential Fix Post #52** - Framerate Stuttering

Potential Fix:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1680-Framerate-Stuttering?p=28841&viewfull=1#post28841
    Editied 11/1/12 22:20 GMT

From the top:

Intel CPU E8400 Core 2 Duo 3ghz
    nVidia 9600GT 512mb
    4gb RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit
    No background programs running apart from Avast ANtivirus with settings set to Gaming Mode.
    All PC drivers upto date (including nVidia 285.62)

I get Stuttering when running in various resolutions from lowest to highest, all in game settings set to Lowest/Off/No, no AA in game or forced vi nVidias control panel. Using various cars at Mills (obviously Monaco would be a bit more intensive so picked Mills)

Strangely when I run the game with HDR the stuttering disppears but the Framerate is obviously a lot lower and too low to drive even in low resolutions unfortunately. Happens in Cockpit view mainly so switched to Bonnet Cam but still there, have tried different sound settings too, I have everything (Core & Data) installed into the same area on one HD.

I dont think its my system, I run 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' very well indeed and FIFA12 will High Details.
    Yes I know its a Beta and I'm not expecting it to be amazing off the bat, but something seems to be wrong if other people are getting good FPS (without any apparent stuttering) when their systems are similar to mine.

I'm trying to think of what the reason could be but i'm now stumped, hence this thread in a plea for other people to maybe think of something I hav'nt!
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  2. blaknift

blaknift Registered

I have a quite similar system, 3 gigs of ram, Same gfx card and vista. and mine seems to be a bit slow too. fps is between 25-50 at spa with pretty much everything on medium. no hdr, 1920x1080. no stuttering that i have noticed.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm tired now and cant think what else it could be, tried running with Higher Details just to see and obviously the FPS drops but there still seems to be a Stuttering. Either way its pretty unplayable for me right now :(
    Refuse to believe its my system so maybe it is purely based on the Beta state of the game...which of course is fair enough :)

I'll come back tomorrow with New Eyes Open and attack the problem head on again!

4. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

You didnt say what kind of soundcard you have. There's a lot more going on soundwise now, so you may want to try lowering the number of sounds.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sorry yeah onboard sound, no difference when using any number (8 to 32) or different options (Windows Settings, 5.1, Stereo etc)

6. clubfoot

clubfoot Registered

I had a similar problem, though my system is scraping the bottom of the minimum req's. However, just for kicks I installed it on my XP drive and it works without stutters there, and with 10-15 higher FPS.

E5400
    GTS 450
    Win 7 64 (unplayable)/ Win XP (stutter-free)

Changing settings had zero effect on the stutter. It is very similar to what I got in Race 07, though oddly enough Race 07 runs without stutters on my Win 7 install but is unplayable on XP. The Race 07 stutter problem is quite common and has never been resolved to the best of my knowledge. I'll be sticking to XP for rF2 it looks like.

I know this does not resolve your problem at all, but it could give someone an idea about where the problem may lie. :)

7. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

159 FPS slideshow here

Not worried though. I'm sure it can be sorted.

MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme video card with 3GB of main memory. 16GB of memory on the mobo, i2600K (not yet overclocked so running at stock speed). That's 19GB total, so I'm fine there (Win7-64 Ult).

2TB disc, pretty much empty, and a 128 GB SSD if needed.

The machine is not causing my problem. I suspect my install might be, however.

I run using a 60Hz limited projector (@1920x1080P/32) and generally see 300-600 FPS in rF1...so I wouldn't expect things to be substantially worse in even the rF2 beta...

...but it's a slideshow right now (and undriveable). The car "hops" forward fifty feet or so...then hops again...all while the FPS is up in the 160 range. So it isn't a GPS issue.

What I did do is install to two subfolders located side-by-side inside another, one labled "CORE" and a second one "DATA." Perhaps I'd be better off installing DATA to an entirely seperate drive altogether (such as my SSD?). Seems to me that's the best idea anyway if only to promote faster "level" (track) loading.

Thoughts or ideas welcome.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  8. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I get good fps but stuttering at Mills, but only with the Megane. It gets smooth if I drive from the bonnet, though. Mill and the Megane don't seem to get along, as everything else seems to run smooth.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K (stock clocks)
    GPU: nVidia GTX 460
    Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333

9. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Guys, I would reccomend doing a disk defrag, it may or may not work, but give it a try.

Regards.

10. Bob Simmerman

Bob Simmerman Registered

i7 920 @ 2.6 GHZ
    12 GB DDR 3
    NVIDIA GTX 460
    Windows 7 64 Bit

Unplayable stuttering at Mills in the Megane, with the FPS meter pegged at 60 FPS. VSYNC on. Not seen (yet) with other tracks and cars.

11. Christopher Snow

Some improvement here

I did cut and paste my DATA to my SSD, and it seems I can now (mostly) drive around SPA (60's). But there is still the occasional hiccup in smoothness.

So: Stutter MOSTLY solved but not yet solved completely (almost certainly a different issue now than before).

Further updates as events warrant...and "film at 11," as they say....

---

I DO have to say: It LOOKS very nice indeed. Makes rf1 pale by comparison, in fact (first impression).

CS

12. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

Stutterig to. Seem to be getting beter results when I disable Aa, Af in Ati catalist manager and use the game options.
    I also get higher frame rates using level 3 Aa instead of 2

can't wait to fiddle with it more tonight after work

13. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I get the stutter as well even though frame rate is above 50 most the time , core i5 8GB ram GTX460.

Rf1 used to get stutter to fix it you set Maximum ore-renderd frames ahead to 0 , I have done this for RF2 but didn't seem to have an effect.

14. clubfoot

clubfoot Registered

The "fix" for me was to install it on my XP(32) drive. It does not stutter and FPS is 10-15 higher. My system is scraping the bottom of minimum though. I had this issue with Race 07 as well, though running that one from Win 7 fixed it. Not really an answer to the question, but might suggest where to look for someone.

15. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I only get stuttering in Cockpit view, which is disappointing as its the only way to race IMO. In rF1 you could see a difference in frame rates between cockpit and bonnet views. Here that is not the case.

16. Christopher Snow

Well, as you correctly point out, brabham67: [cockpit] is the only way to race (and so I do all my testing that way too).

I'm also seeing a "hesitation" or "hiccup" from time to time, as though the sim is loading a new section of the track each moment (which I would almost hope might disappear the second time around each circuit, since it's already loaded at that point...(right?).

But, hey...it's a beta, so these issues can be solved, and I have every confidence ISI will get it done.

For my part, I'm reasonably pleased so far, with at least the promise of making it work, if not the actual working beta. Yet.

CS

17. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

OMG, the Megane at Mills is undrivable. FPS says ~40, but I swear I'm getting maybe 3 frames a second. I was having some fun with those 3FPS too, Mills and the Megane go hand and hand. PLEASE FIX

18. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

FPS shown is not felt at all. I've always felt this from all isi games EXCEPT sportscarGT. It doesnt feel fluid at all.

19. slowpace

slowpace Registered

Hi guys. First post.

I have the stuttering problem too. I found that the problem is with my forcefeedback. When I turn forcefeedback off from the menu all stuttering is gone and game runs smooth.

My setup: Asus P5P55D-E, Intel core i7 860 @2.80GHz, 4Gb DDR3, Radeon HD 5770 catalyst version 11.12, Built in audio, Thrustmaster T500RS.

20. blaknift

blaknift Registered

My fps counter almost seems to be a bit slow, It says im running 30 fps when it feels more like 50.