G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

...AGAIN there is NOTHING to "fix", plus it is widely regarded that RF2s FFB is better than rf1s with out without real feel, you may need to adjust some settings to get the feel you want.

you want the "moan moan moan" thread

2. endonesia

endonesia Registered

Unacceptable solution! Even with it turned wayyy down, it still rattles on certain parts of the track.

I didn't say I couldn't handle it physically.

3. endonesia

endonesia Registered

This is not a natural driving sensation. I put "fixed" in quotations for a reason, btw.

Can you please tell me the setting to adjust that gets rid of the godawful wheel breaking jackhammer? I've already tried turning the ffb down to around 20%, doesn't change it. Only makes the ffb super light feeling, then you touch a serrated curb and wham goes the wheel again. It feels ok, other than that. Any help?

4. Kiro

Kiro Registered

g25 here, I can tell you that I really don't get the "horrendous rattling" and I won't change any game settings until gold.
    So if you have it with g27, don't speak for all g25 owners as well.
    Apparently it has to do with the helical gears in 27 vs the ones in 25s.
    Remember g27 wasn't made for rF2, it came out prior.
    Might have to wait for the mythical g29.
    and yes, Long Live rf1!
    try using...
    Rumble strip wave type="4" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    and
    Off-road multiplier="0.00000" // Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)
    I haven't seen cow patties since the Glen in the early 90's.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

endonesia you want the Torque Filter setting in your controller.ini or whichever saved ini you use, lowering ffb strength doesn't change the rattling.

6. argo0

argo0 Registered

G27 here. Please try 107% in Logitech Profiler (or Windows controller settings), Steering Torque Filter at 8 (find this in the .plr file in your player folder) and FFB per car multi at between .65 and .75 depending on car. My FFB is fantastic, smooth and informative. Curbs, undulations, grip, tyre locks, weight transfer etc are all really good.

7. Tony

Tony Registered

At the moment this is the best fix for G25 & 7 wheels:

Go to: "My Documents/rFactor2/UserData/player/Controller.. now scroll down to: [ Force Feedback ], then find the line: "Steering Torque Filter="0" & change the value from whatever it says now up to about 28 (you decide how much filtering you want - some people are happy with 8..)

The higher value will stop your rattling, the downside is that it will have "numbed down" the FF a little - but it will save your wheel

8. endonesia

endonesia Registered

Thx for all the suggestions guys, will try today and report back. :)

9. yokelhama

yokelhama Registered

Has this been brought up before?

This is the mod to fix it (click on the photos for install instructions) - https://plus.google.com/photos/113839068734380231178/albums/5691461502139407841

Especially interested to know if it worked/helped reduce the rattling or not, I'd like to try it before I spend $$ on a belt wheel.

10. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Holy ****, i prefer ratlling 10X

11. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Yes that video has been posted here somewhere before- but as far as someone trying Idk and I wont be trying it, just sketchy instructions- But what I may do is take apart my old Red and black logitech wheel thats Belt driven and see if anything can be used other than that- I seen a video of where this guy took apart the motors and added Red lock tite to the screws and he claims it stopped the motors from making noise...

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I thought rumble strip was part of track design and not distinct object type??? Rumble strips especially Snetterton is where my problems are so if this works then very helpful and also where is sticky on this? Why have to read 50 pages for this?

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Rumble strips are part of track geometry and get their ffb information from their shape. The line in the controller file that talks about rumble strip wave type is for canned effects only.

14. endonesia

endonesia Registered

Thanks guys, these settings made it much better for my G27. :)

Now that I can actually feel the ffb working over the jackhammer, I'd rate rF2's ffb quite good.

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Someone should make a sticky summarizing all this as I am getting a headache...

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

its simple:

Steering torque filter=

change the setting in that until you're comfortable (the higher the number the dumber the effects), 'nuff said!

17. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

That is just medicating the symptoms not curing the problem :(

18. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Looks like too much endplay in the motor shaft!
    The manufacturer will have to construct the shaft play for mass production and very hot conditions; even so, that looks a lot of endplay. That excessive play is times two.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Those small motors are notorious for huge end play. I have raced radio controlled cars with those motors, or at least the Mabuchi RS540 ones, which are similar and have had to get into each one and place shim material to tighten the end play to keep the gears in line better. The process is a PITA, but if you want to be fast, you have to do the work :)

20. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

Agreed they need shimming.

Off topic I used to race slot cars and we like you had to do a lot of work on electric motors including shimming and rewinding the armature for more amps - upto a prescribed limit -.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.