G25/27 horrendous rattling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mee, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's been there since the first build.

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Exactly. I can't wait 'til the next shoe drops and ISI says that this or that belt-driven wheel is slow or slips or etc. etc. etc. Commercial suicide. Exactly. Also, clearly no apparent business sense or communication skills.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Ah, nevermind then. Anyway, it doesn't do much else than the steering torque filter option, as it still introduces the same delay in between samples.

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

With this post and you're other one I think you're being a bit dramatic.

rF2 was not "designed" for certain wheels and not for others (like HuntTheShunt asked. Not sure if he was being sarcastic or not)

They decided to go with the most advanced, direct, undampened FFB they could.

It turns out, gear motor wheels makes noise and don't seem to be able to handle the FFB correctly.

You make it seem like they planned this. Conspiracy theory much?

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I remember that my G27 came with a rF1 CD included. I guess that co-packaging deal isn't going to be repeated, is it?!? :D

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'm pretty sure I mentioned gears bad, belts good, a few times.

No, I'm not. Nobody is saying no FFB at all. If you are OK with the changes I have suggested, party on. If you are OK with rattling, party on again. The G25 and G27 are COMPLETELY COMPATIBLE.

It is NOT POSSIBLE for the G25 and G27 to move, in the way they need to move to give you that FFB you feel with rattling, without rattling. If you remove the rattling, caused by the movement, you remove the movement.

*scratches head*
    I guess communication is only good if you agree with what is being said. I can only assume no response at all would have been more pleasing for you, in which case I'm sorry but I am going to reply in this forum.
    One would hope Logitech will be looking at other technology in their next product. This is nothing against Logitech, but the G25 was released around the same time as rF1, the G27 is essentially the same.

This also has nothing to do with what wheel the community uses. rF2 FFB works absolutely fine on the G25 and G27. The issue, is the rattling. That rattling is the surface of the track being translated through the wheel. I see people saying the kerbs are bad, etc, you're not running a canned affect, you are feeling the teeth of that kerb, which is a shape on the physical track surface. If you don't want to have the noise from your G25 and G27, you can't use a G25 or G27 to feel those kerbs in the raw way rFactor2 gives it to you. You need it muffled or canned, like it is in most simulations already. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

This ^ part should be a sticky.

8. Ricoo

Ricoo Registered

For me FFB with my G25 is close to perfection. I don't need anything else. :)

Keep the noise. Who said a race car is silent? :)

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Ok, thanks :)

10. thepower

thepower Registered

this problem was in the first build but i thought it was going fixed. maybe not right now but before the game is released

check out this thread from 1-11-12 and the first post from ISI member scott juliano -

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ng-a-strong-noise-rattle-with-your-controller

and scott said - Edit: Please note this is not a permanent solution, but hopefully will get you to something acceptable for the time being...

so i assumed/believed there may be a permanent solution ? does anyone else see anything wrong here as i do ?

how about extending the refund policy for us g27 owners as if i knew this was the case i would have applied for a refund back when i got it , as i believed the above post and though it would be fixed. but now your saying it wont be.

i am gutted as it has so much potential and i loved rfactor 1. but you cant really race as it is with a g27, any racer knows there are times you need to clip a kerb and the shaking on the g27 just ruins it. i have spent a maximum of two hours on rfactor 2 because of this.

i know the refund wont happen , but id rather the issue was looked at . i dont mean to have a go as the rest of the game is great. its got such a great feel to it until you hit a kerb of go off track then it goes horribly wrong

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

1. If the rattling really annoys you then the CSR will eliminate that annoyance. For me that is a huge win, plain and simple.
    2. Despite not being a top of the line rig it is a good mid-grade rig. It conveys subtlties and has sufficient force. Left and right hammer bashing is converted to tugs and vibration.
    3. In my view it is right on par with a G27. Some may say it is not and they may be right. But I refer you back to #1.

The first time I got it running and went down the straight to Masta in a 60's F1 I was like... "Ahhh! This is so sweet!" No bang-bang, just bumps and tugs. (Not to mention the relief of thrashing thru fields and ditches without waking the neighbors!) Keeping my G27 pedals I achieved this joy for $200. That's a fair value for the product. I still dream of owing the Cadilac but for right now my Chevy is a joy to drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  12. 88mphTim

It is possible for an acceptable solution to become a permanent one (although I am still not saying that is what this is). If you are not driving rFactor2 as it currently is, I am going to have to ask why you are not going ahead and filtering the FFB, which merely reduces the FFB to the filtered level you would get in every other sim?

If FFB was the sole reason for your purchase of rFactor2, and seemingly top of your list if you are not driving without it right now, then you should probably consider a wheel with what the sim racing community as a whole seems to regard as a better method of FFB than gears, even if you were to never use rF2 again... If FFB is that important to you, I would recommend a belt system.

13. yokelhama

yokelhama Registered

Has anyone actually pulled apart a G27 to examine the FFB movement? Is it at possible to physically mod the wheel to control the rattling?

14. 88mphTim

yokelhama - I don't think it would be. Perhaps a spray rubber or something, but I would probably not want to risk a wheel doing it.

15. yokelhama

yokelhama Registered

Fair enough, anyone know if the Thrustmaster T500 RS is belt driven?

16. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Add this ^ to sticky as well.

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Where have you said that? Probably hidden in some thread somewhere and you just expect everyone to read everything you say, that's poor communication....it should be in the minimum specs required section period.

YOU said to turn off FFB only a couple of pages ago, sorry Tim but your attitude to this baffles me it truly does....you need to get something in place for gold to explain to YOUR customers the effects of YOUR FFB using these devices but you seem incapable of proper communication so I doubt that will happen.

I love this game I truly do but sometimes I do wonder...

19. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

I think the G25/G27 rattling is super irritating and a big flaw of rF2.
    I can't play this at night when it's quiet in the house, without waking/annoying my wife, baby or my neighbors who sleep right above my studio/gaming room.
    As soon i hit the grass the whole wheel makes a hell of a noise.
    Basically it feels like FFB effects are just spiking left/right, sounding like the wheel is braking down any minute..
    Not everybody got a US sized house with seperate garage to play in.
    I have a medium sized appartment in the city of Amsterdam.
    My steeringwheel can be heared troughout the house if i drive rF2, all other sims I drive don't give this horrific sound..
    Don't even want to imagine driving on offroad tracks in the future.
    It just happens the G25/G27 is most used wheel in the industry by far, for those of you who been living under a rock the last 6 six years.

I think less than 10% of the drivers have a belt driven steeringwheel like Fanatec or the most expensive model Thrustmaster.
    While putting more damping in the INI file to even out the spikes I ruin all other 95% of all great FFB effect while driving on the tarmac. Resulting in making the FFB feel really numb, even more numb than rF1 with proper Realfeel enabled.
    Can't you guys make a switch/option for regular gear driven wheels to numb the crazy effects when you get offroad?
    Till than rF2 is almost unusable for me.
    Night time is the only time I can play, i think that counts most of the Simdrivers who have normal obligations in the daytime.

Might be worthwhile to look in to this problem instead of just weaving it off to the gears system.
    With this you just waved off the majority of simracers that used Logitech geared wheels.

That a belt system is far superiour is also debatable, the belt is just damping the signal from the motors.
    The normal Fanatecs just have one Mabuchi 540 motor, the G25/27 have 2 of those motors, so basically can handle twice the amount of effects send to the wheel.
    Many people feel and say that about the entry level belt wheels that their FFB is less informative than the G25/G27.
    I can hardly imagine we all should spend $ 500,- + on a steering wheel and otherwise should settle with this noisy behavior and shut up.
    If you go a few steps beyond working class equipment they use direct drive servo motors, no belt at all there.

My opinion about the effect it self when going offroad, I driven with real cars in the grass and mud quite a lot.
    Never i felt this kind of noisy feedback.
    Driving on grass or mud makes the feeling go much more numb as the ground is not solid like it is in the virtual world.
    It never felt like random rattling with a high frequency.
    The tires hitting the ground grips on different spots all the time, not a constant shake.

Hopefully you guys could make a option/switch for the FFB behaviour on grass.
    So i can play this great sim in the middle of night again, when servers are full, the house is quiet and my head is empty.

Now off to the new build!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Don't believe drama comments and sarcasm further the debate. I believe I have clearly stated my points and if you would like to quote something I have said that is untrue then please do so or I will be unable to help you understand. Having said all that I'll take your bait and say that my beef is not with whether g27 can handle ffb. It is with the spin around this topic. Let's be honest and move on. If the g27 can't handle the ffb then tell us before taking our money. I wish the best for those of you who will stop at nothing to get the what you are looking for. I personally have limits and am fine with going to another sim that is better suited to my equipment. My beef is that I paid for a product for which my hardware is insufficient and also wasted months of my life contributing to a product that I am not going to use. All I am asking for is a refund and for ISI to be honest in setting expectations BEFORE taking poeple's money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.