Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Stefaan

Stefaan Registered

I've said it before and I'll say it again, your statement is the cliché argument against people that have something negative to say about a beta product, I would like to think that most people here are mature enough to provide constructive criticism, feedback has been pretty elaborate, particularly when people have quote, unquote negative feedback. And I'm sure that the devs appreciate criticism in such a fashion and are also smart enough to ignore any of the "this game sux" comments and are equally aware of the fact that people are a lot quicker to complain about the negatives then praise the positives, that's just human nature.

The more feedback the better if you ask me and not mentioning something because it's a beta seems even more ridiculous, if we don't make comments how could the final product possibly be improved upon. It is also a consumer product, we are paying for this, ISI is not a charity and if people have something to say about the product they are buying they should be entitled to do so in a civilised manner!

Oh and telling someone to Shut the **** up is utterly rude, obnoxious and completely does away with any validity that your argument ever had. I much rather here a well constructed bit of feedback then the type of language you are using even if you tend to categorise feedback as complaints.

2. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

+1

3. jamesowen

jamesowen Registered

Sound

Hi there,

:DI don't know if anyone has mentioned it already but I think who ever did the sound for this game deserves a pay rise. It's so subtle but brilliant...GREAT JOB!:D

4. ozleem

ozleem Registered

I'm loving this beta, so much that i let my iracing account run out. I'd pay ISI the same if not more money then i do for iracing and then some, only part that is (lack of better words) dumb is the wreckers online, if ISI can come up with some way to fix this i'd be so happy.

Thank you ISI for amazing sim great job can't wait for more updates so we can find and fix more bugs ...beta's are fun , it's like playing where's waldo haha

With my spec's i must be one of the lucky one's out there cuz all settings turned on even Vsync all on max, (fps is 58-60) everywhere./ have had no trouble, only with a few optimization here and there but it's beta thats why we are here to test and fix.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  5. Dragos Haba

Dragos Haba Registered

Hey Luke its the Hamster here, I don't know if you still frequent this thread. I will be installing rF2 shortly and hopefully adding to the quality feedback section ;) , see you on track later on.

6. evphelps

evphelps Registered

G'Day!
    Just thought I'd chip in with some thoughts...
    We are getting a tad over enthusiastic pro/con here and seem to be losing sight of ISI's original intentions for this pre release,feedback!
    Sure we all act like twat's occasionally when we respond to posts,we're only human after all,but do we have to continue feeding this condition by constantly responding in kind :confused:
    I am as guilty as anyone,I'm doing it right now!
    I tend to be a bit hotheaded myself and the air can turn quite blue when my buttons are pressed, I am ashamed to say.
    I have refrained from opinionising on aspects of the beta which I have already been informed are not/partially implemented.

So; first impressions... Bloody hell,this is hard! ffb rox! Looks nice :D
    second " Bloody hell,this is hard! ffb rox! Looks nice :confused: it's a beta...
    third " Bloody hell,this is hard! ffb rox! Looks nice :eek: they will fix it,it's a beta...
    Repeat ad nauseam 'til release.

Personally,I wish ISI would stop pandering to low spec users and start listening to the growing number of disaffected people with high spec rigs,who are currently unable to realise the potential of their considerable investment (I am not referring to dx version here,just the raw power! :mad: ).

Oh,before I forget,@jamesowen I have the exact opposite reaction,sorry to say. This is as bad sound implementation as rF1.
    I am not talking about the sounds themselves(they're ok,I guess),but the directional sounds etc are not working correctly in my quad speaker setup.Surely it cant be all that difficult to get a wheel in each corner and engine/g'box/exhaust to the rear? Or am I wrong?

Rant mode off

7. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

@evphelps - the surround sound seems to be broken, there is a thread about this somewhere.

I think the issue is that een on high end rigs the performance is poor and the graphics don't appear as if they should be stretching top end kit. Hopefully the graphics will be optimised to allow artists to get the most out of it. Also there seems a big difference between cars & tracks. 60s cars at Spa seem to run quite nicely whilst pretty much every other track is more sluggish. I think this goes some way to explain the variation in feedback. Also SLI and Crossfire seem to run especially poorly which can make those with uber expensive setups feel very unloved.

8. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

I think this will be a very great title once some of the graphics issues are fixed. I get real good frame rate on Spa but very bad frame rate on Mills I don't get it? As far as the entire look of the graphics to me it's fine. There are other things more important so I won't give them any bad press over it. Graphics just need to run smooth throughout the sim the shader level is fine!

9. UKBeancounter

UKBeancounter Registered

Having modded and played rFactor1 to death, I can't believe the first impression improvements of this Beta over the original.
    1967 Spa in an open wheeler is one of the best race sim experiences I have ever seen. The attention to detail is fantastic, and the feeling that you are back in the day cannot be faulted.

The replay system seems a little buggy at present, the view from behind the car only shows parts of the car and some solid colour blocks. I managed to remove a wheel at Monaco just before the tunnel and in the replay the wheel seemed to be attached to the car like a yoyo, firing off into the air with a line back to the car. then rebounding back again. Absolutely hilarious, please don't fix this !

The brake sensitivity with ABS completely off is a big improvement over rFactor1. The ability to judge the locking point of the wheels is fabulous.

I just need more cars and tracks now, but brilliant work so far.

10. Kaboom

Kaboom Registered

I'm a big fan of Rfactor 1 thaught it was very dynamic unlike other racers. Rfactor 2 Beta blows it away. Its like a DCS simulator version of car racing. The cars and enviroments look very high in objects and polygons. compared to modern games. With lower settings I can get better performance and graphics than Rfactor 1.

Windows 7 64bit
    i7 920 3.4Ghz hyperthreading off
    6GB tripple channel Ram
    GTX260
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty

All on highest but Shadows Medium, no reflection, 16 cars, aa at 3 , I get 30fps on the grid start then it smoothes out to 60fps once the cars spread out. Monaco is around 20 - 45 fps though but my graphics card is over three years old now and wasn't the best card back then. GTX 260 is the minimum to run this on two thirds of the graphics settings. The Nvidia GK 100 cards due anytime should push all the graphics card prices down.

TrackIR support missing
    Sound could do with more bass.
    Visable tyre wear mising from the 1967 F1 cars.
    67 F1 cars breaks dont lock up when braking hard not sure if thats realistic or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  11. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Really? I've definitely seen HUGE tyre degradation in the F2 cars, but haven't admittedly tested with the F1's.
    Maybe check your controller settings, they lock up just fine (and pretty easily) for me.

12. Favio

Favio Registered

I'm user of rF1 since 2006, now that I have this beta can't go back and drive rF1, it's not the same... I like very much physics and FFB, also dynamic grip on track, it's amazing, weather it's good but need a little bit of work.
    Graphics are...like rF1 but with more resolution (just my opinion), they are just fine for a sim, but I think they need a lot of work to do (shadows, hdr, and FPS performance specially), anyway I really don't mind if they look like pCARS or not, when u are racing at 160 km or fast u don't recognize so many details, for me it's only about sense of inmersion and real physics.
    I don't like sounds, megane are ugly, and the others cars are regular, not enough for me at this point.
    Im happy with rF2 beta, feel of cars are light years from rF1, I see a lot of potential. I hope ISI read all users feedback and give us a really good gold version!. :D

13. Bogboy

Bogboy Registered

to be totall honest looks nice drives nice ####but wheres the Fing up dates it only runs once out of every 5 attempts and then if you get more than 10 on track it crashes and locks my pc. For 60 bucks it is ****

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

If it only runs once out of every five attempts for you something is wrong. I've never had a crash or failed start up attempt yet.

15. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Same here. The only time I have ever seen rF2 crash is to Alt-tab. Totally solid otherwise.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Why don't you try reading my entire post, I said a beta is for feedback to tell isi what's good, what's bad, constructive feedback, where to improve etc, The people I was referring to shut up where the people sayin rfactor 2 sucks, I can't believe I paid money for this when this doesn't work and that doesn't work etc etc, well its a beta and you were told its a clearly unfinished beta, so you can't complain about the game sucking and being a waste of money because you don't know what the hgame will be like because your are just playin a still in heavy developement beta and not a complete officially released game.

So people with constructive feedback to give to isi on what isn't working, what is missing, etc is what we need, but people saying rfactor 2 sucks it doesn't work properly I want my money back, well that's not constructive feedback, those are idiots who buy an in development clearly unfinished beta of a game and complain that it has issues, well ya its a beta unreleased game in development, that's the whole point, for us to give feedback to isi.

17. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

Sounds are okay, not great yet. Sounds should be an upgrade priority just as everthing else. Disappointed in the formula renault onboard mostly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
  18. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

I have no problems with this Beta Test. At first I was having major stutters and three runtime crashes but some tweaking and reinstalling the included runtime has sorted a fair bit of those issues out.

My system is not a rocketship by any means, but I can run almost everything on Full, although have Sun Occlusion turned off along with the option for reflections other than road, etc.

I turned the number of simultaneous sounds to 12 from the default 32 or so.. I also turned off desktop composition for W7 only when rF2 loads up.. and my FPS on any track has improved from low 30's up to and including 70+ at times.. so I don't have any complaints about the graphics side of the Beta.. and being aware it is still only a Beta Test.

The online experience so far has been okay, although high pings from internationals on our open server did seem to have some negative effects that are more distance/connection related than anything else I would imagine. But watching some of those aliens crash out when the rain came was well worth any small inconvenience at the time.

So, I am very happy at the moment with the Beta Test Version we have. It is not straining the little GTS450 nVidia card at all and the temps are in a nice range. The FPS does at times suddenly drop to low 30's again but I wait a few minutes then go back out on track and all is good again.

I enjoy the speed sensation rF2 provides.. especially in the F2 and F1 cars.. nice work guys.

I love the rain, then drying track scenario where I have to start scouting for wetter surfaces to cool the tyres... nice.

Physics are nice too.. and I do enjoy the Feel through the steering wheel as I can sense what the car is doing at all times, and the off-track shakes, well, drive your real car off onto the side of a road and tell me it isn't rough there.

Yes I am aware things will change as optimization occurs, as more Bling is switched on, as various things get refined over time, etc. In which case I do think rF2 will be what we had hoped it would be.. patience will be the key.

19. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

Are you aware that '60s F1 cars could run for almost a full season on the same set of tyres?

20. O11

O11 Registered

Well, this is not my first impression, since I'm using rF2 since the release of the beta. But my opinion has changed.

At first the harsh FFB was a great shock. Especially the rattling of my G25 as if it could be ejecting its internal part straight into my face at any moment was quite a shock. But though the rattling sounded wrong, the feeling was right I realised after a while. When I ignored the sound I felt that the FFB did what is't supposed to do. At first I started using headphones so I couldn't hear the deathrattle of my G25. But after some sime I got used to it and now I'm just driving as I always did in other sims.

The formula Renault was horrible at first because of the bouncing. But some setup solved that. Still I found it very hard to drive. But I learned that it just needs really quick reactions and delicate input. It just takes lots of laps to learn that car. And adjusting the rollcenter presets in the tuning screen seemed to help a lot too.
    At first I thought that the car just bounced in fast corners, the Megane also. And that once you lost road contact all was lost. But with experience I learned that there's still grip after you lose grip (you guys know what I mean). I've learned to recognise what that feels like and now I can approach the edge of control much closer than I could in the beginning. Sometimes I even dare to go over that edge and force the car into a slide and stay in that magic zone at the edge of control.

I'll try to explain what the sim feels like to me.
    The sharp FFB effects feel like the ones from netKar PRO. The road texture, bumps, kerbs and stuff like that. But the movement of the tyres feels like Live for Speed. How you can feel the flex of the tyre and estimate when it's going to 'snap' out of grip. In LFS this was very clear and the 'snap' was very forgiving, you'd see it coming for miles and it was more the managing of the weight of the car than the estimating how much grip you had that was the challenge to me. And once you slid in LFS there was little 'feel'. In rF2 I still feel the road surface pulling on the tyres, even when I'm sliding. Tyre movement is much 'smaller' in rF2, which seems realistic in the Megane and F3.5 that I've driven.
    The rears of the cars I've driven the most (F3.5 and Megane) feel really snappy. When cornering hard at lower speeds. But that's to bee expected with a powerful formula car and a short wheelbase silhouette racer. But when you treat them delicately I've been able to control them pretty well. Even getting the F3.5 to sidestep at the final corner at Estoril without crapping my pants. That made me kind of proud actually. :p
    So overall I really like the feel. Like the best of nK PRO and LFS combined. It just took me some time te learn what the FFB was exactly telling me. But now I slowly understand it more and more I like it more and more.

The roadsurface feels good I guess. The live track feature I can't really say anything about because the track isn't 'live' yet. But it is really interesting to see that as more time passes in qualification the times become sharper and it really pays of to go out late in the session. And then you'll really hate anybody that ruins your fast lap on that optimal track. :D

Noticing it's started raining I found very difficult without spray from the wheels and without drops on te visors or windshield. But that will come shortly I hope.