Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ozspeedfreak

ozspeedfreak Registered

Finally got my first taste of rF2. Absolutely no problems with install. I'm using a red momo that is behaving perfectly from the first lap. Everything turned up and experienced no lag with 10 cars and average system specs. Just completed my first 20 laps in the megane around Malaysia. WOW!! I've never driven these or seen the track before but they feel great. I personally found them pretty easy with no assists compared to what I'm used to. This is quality beta and I can't wait for the final. Thanks for the huge effort all!!!

2. zetecr

zetecr Registered

My 2 cents worth below. I've tried to stick to things that relate to what I feel is the "core" of rF2, a mod platform. No comments therefore on mod quality, other than that I love the 60's mod, but not Megane.

FFB: I like it. 60's mod feels authentic and connected, though Megane feels hardly connected and artificial. The infamous rattle doesn't bother me so much. I guess the way 60's mod feels is indicative of what's possible with this package with its tyre model.

Environmental effects: Brilliant! The way wet/changeable weather is implemented is very immersive and believable. Just needs good spray effects and droplets on visor, which will hopefully be enabled soon. Aquaplaning too, please.. One noticeable glitch: rain/fog does not obscure blue sky towards the horizon during transitions.

AI: Seems much improved and very "raceable", but need further experience across more tracks and mods.

Graphics: Overall good and noticeable improvement, but I agree with some that it doesn't knock you out like some recent titles. HDR looks far overdone (too much clipping effects) on my GTX550Ti, and causes me to turn it off. Performance seems acceptable - I can just about tolerate the 25-30FPS I get on my moderate system with everything on.

System specs:
    Core i7 920
    8GB RAM
    GTX550Ti
    Windows 7 64bit

3. isamu

isamu Registered

I don't get it....how is it that some of you with only moderate PC rigs can run the game with no performance issues or any lag, yet some people with powerful rigs are experiencing framerate and other problems?

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

That is why this is a beta. To find that out. My 4890 with a stock 940 destroys my friend with two 6870's and 4ghz overclocked i7.

5. chunder27

chunder27 Registered

OK then

A few things of note. I am not a beta tester but have played many sims over the years so feel as a reasonably decent simmer I can have an input.

Initial install took a while, was in the wrong place and couldn't install a thing, but now sorted and I do like the new system. I also really like the sub-menu on boot up, to allow you to update, this means you don't have to do the old close the program thing every time you want that mods menus and UI to come up. And you can manage things so much easier, really good idea.

I have a mid spec PC and have not had any stuttering issues, I rarely run everything on high specs anyway legacy of never having the best of gear, so I get used to running medium etc. One or two brief laggy bits at Estoril, but none at monaco where you would expect it.

Online it is fine, very similar to RF1, could do without having to constantly click on series or track every time you leave a server, be nice if it remembered you were in FRS or 60's. And also go back to the old system of not being able to join server if the race is on as this can cause spikes of lag, and as a player is pretty pointless!

Sounds are OK, graphics are fine as I said.

Now we get to nitty gritty. FFB. I was an avid real feel user and was expecting this. it is different and better but only in one mod, the 60's mod. Those cars really do feel great, they give just the right feedback.

The Meganes are fine FFB wise, you get just enough and once you learn how to push it you can really start to get going in them, pushing the front and feeling the rear go away, but I do feel this is more intuitive rather than from FFB. Ie you learn that the car can do more, you dont get that from FFB, and at places liek Estoril the bumps make the car far too unstable, this might be good I dont know?

FRS, this is a very strange mod indeed. Some guys are amazingly fast in these cars and I have no idea why. I use them at Sepang and have done countless laps now.

The car feels almost as if the tyres have too much grip, for instance, I had a spin earlier at the tight hairpin about 6 corners from the end, I trail braked in there and tapped the power too early. What happend then was weird, I was on the track still and as I was spinning, the car sort of hopped sideways without rotating as if it was either hitting speedbumps or was so stiff the tyre were just full of air.

At turn 4, the car loses ALLL feel on the exit, the steering goes completely light and you feel like you are on ice. then into the fast bends the bumps are so bad that the wheel feels like coming out of your hands and again you get this hopping sensation.

I will admit it is immersive, but when you are 5 seconds a lap and 2 in one split down on someone, you know that something is not quite right. Especially when in the otehr mods you are respectably close to the men from Mars. Clearly there is a golden key to these things and watching some youtibe vids these guys float over the bumps that I cannot float over! No idea how or why.

Braking is magnificent, best I have ever tried in a sim. Vastly superior to RF1. I have a G25 and have had no wheel issues, yes it gets real bad off-trackm, but thats just a beta thing, my issue is in those FRS cars you simply or I simply have such a lack of feel and feel the control is almost out of control. You try and push through it and it just spins. Maybe its a wheel settings thing?

To sum up, I feel this is a very long term game. You can see the potential. The 60's mod is superb, Monaco is a pain as that chicane is a roulette wheel that makes online racing a bit pointless, but the F3 and 2 cars are spot on.

FRS feels like we are developing it though, never seen such a strange mod in my life, and judging by most peoples comments this is the area that needs work. Meganes are Meganes and will always be popular!

cant wait for a few more bits and bobs

6. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

impressions

- huge rfactor fan
    - far prefer rfactor to iracing and others

first impression of RF2?

- my GTX590 isnt supported properly. terrible frame rates. have to disable SLI and multi monitor. still lowish.
    - it crashes occasionally on launch, seems solid during game
    - SLI issues are really a huge let down
    - the visuals/graphics dont look anything like the beta videos ISI posted. this looks more like a slightly rehashed rf1/dx9 title. what is going on here..??
    - physics are excellent
    - g27 FFB is terrible. way too strong. way too loud.

all in all? very disappointing. VERY. beta? more like pre alpha.

edit: the spotter is just a 'placeholder' ?? 'we knew you were all going to replace it anyway' ?? WHAT?? err nooo...i wasnt going to...and that is suuuch a stupid cop out. You cant put low quality content into a game on the premise gamers 'were just going to change it anyway'.

Is ISI AWAKE at the moment??? this is just like one great big WTF for me.
    Not at ALL what i hoped.
    all i wanted was rfactor 1 with new graphics new sound and new content and better textures/quality. instead its like i got none of that, and all of the negatives.

try again....dont waste the general publics time with this kind of low quality b**** early alpha crap.
    no one in their right mind wouldve paid for the beta if we were aware absolutely nothing works in terms of SLI and that graphics are generations behind where they should be. and telling paying customers to 'click the refund button' if they dont like it, is nothing short of disgusting. poor form ISI, very very poor form.

Back to 3-monitor 2560x1600 iRacing for now....which is a huge shame since rF2 physics and rf in general is light years ahead. but it means nothing if none of its niceties are useable on any kind of modern/higher end GPU. ridiculous. pretty pissed right now. the dev team can stick their email to me up their a** frankly, i didnt ask for a refund i simply reported that absolutely none of the hoped for visuals in rf2 are present, or working, and that none of the GPU scaling or multiGPU is working, and that its running terribly on a system that laughs @ BF3 2560x1600 in ultra over 130fps.

i cant understand it...latest GPU, new wheel (G27), new build (public beta), and its THIS stuffed. Pffffffffft.
    Trav

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2012
  7. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

that ISNT why the game is beta. the game is beta because its not finished. the fact the game's engine has terrible SLI support and terrible multiGPU support is entirely ISI's fault and nothing to do with the beta product stage. beta products of all types have been released and generally are close to release quality and support all devices the release one will albeit with some caveats. This situation, on the other hand, proves this isnt an open beta at all its more like a very early alpha.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Still better we get it at all then constantly waiting not knowing anything. At least now we can tell them what to fix and be part of the process. If they just gave a release date of 2013 instead of this testing we would have nothing.. No say and MIGHT encounter all these problems anyway. So lets take this broken game and HELP THEM FIX IT...

9. sugarfoot

sugarfoot Registered

It's a modding beta. Obviously ISI want to get the modding side down pat so when they release the finished game there will be quality mods available to help sales.

This is not a normal beta release. ISI have told us they will do physics first and then everything else.

Tony

10. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

I cant understand ehy ISI havent more employes that this stuff happens faster...over 6 years since rf1 and a alpa rf2 thats so slow

11. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Probably an annoying thing called economics! I am sure Gjon once said the home consumer market can't sustain the company hence the need for the commercial projects.

12. blakboks

blakboks Registered

It's kind of strange. rF2 really is "backwards" in a lot of ways. Unlike my previous experience with Beta, where it's feature-rich, but highly unstable; rF2 is down on some features, but quite stable. I haven't had an outright crash, and from what it sounds like, neither have most people. So, it's up to each person what's preferable. Would you rather have a feature-rich beta that you can't really play? or would you rather have something that you can use to its extents, however limited they may be? It's six-to-one, half-dozen to the other.

Either way you're not getting a finished game, so please people, have some patience. If ISI says "it's a full release" and you're still not happy, THEN and only THEN do you have a right to 'complain'. Until that time, offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism so they can get it to a point we're all happy with. That means simply saying "I'm only getting x fps on y hardware running version z drivers", NOT "this is total bulls***, they're wasting my time with this garbage, I have the best system in the world, and I'm only getting x fps". Especially since they're not wasting your time, you are!

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't understand how people can call this a "broken sim". I think alot of the issues we're having were already known by ISI since alot are pretty obvious. This whole dynamic track feature has me hooked anyways. I can't stop having fun with it.

The bugs at Mills make me laugh too. They are so random you can see them but not get distracted. lol.

Does anybody know who the pit crew guy is? All the faces of the pit crew are the same I think.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Honestly the people complaining about the game should seriously SHUT THE **** UP.

Do you know what a beta is? It doesnt mean this, it doesnt mean that. It means the game isnt finished, PERIOD. Shut up with your "well other games in beta still have working this, or this feature", well thats another game go play that game if you got such a hard on for it. This is an unreleased game, its not finished yet, ISI just happened to let buyers in on it early to get a taste of some action and to get our feedback from them regarding problems whats good, whats bad etc. etc. (plus i think a major reason aswell is to get modders starting early before official release). So until the game is officially released, dont complain when something is called BETA because you knew it was a beta from the start, and you dont have the right to blame a product when it was sold to you has a BETA/UNFINSIHED/STILL IN DEVELOPMENT.

If ISI had said "hey this is the open beta , BUT I would like to let all you guys know that the beta represents about 95% of the final product as it is almost complete", then I can see why you would complain, but they never said anything like that. All they said was pretty much "here is a BETA build we are working on, the game isnt finished, we got tons more to do, if you wanna buy it now while were still making the game thats cool, if you dont then wait till it actually comes out.

BETA means, still in development/not finished, so noone has any right to accuse ISI of releasing an unfinished product "well even a BETA should still have sli/crossfire support or this feature or shouldnt do this or that". WRONG, a beta is a beta and therefore has or doesnt have whatever the hell the company has or hasnt put into it yet.

Simple as that.

15. Jack B

Jack B Registered

Should we ban anyone who complains? Would that help ISI make rFactor 2 better?

16. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

1. fanboyism
    The collective outlook and behavior of a group of people concerning a subject (movies, games, hardware, comic book characters, etc.) which when challenged results in an antagonistic, passionate, and unreasoned response.
    Rampant Fanboyism can be found on most internet message boards when such hot button subjects are discussed. You know a fanboy when you see one.

Example:
    Fanboy 1: "Stupid people didn't get this movie"
    Fanboy 2: "If you didn't like the movie, you should'nt come here and trash it."
    Fanboy 3: It's unrealistic because.....___(fill in the blank about how this movie about flying superheroes is unrealistic.___"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboyism

this is related to post above i quote

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
  17. zloca

zloca Registered

As a mainly RBR fan and rFactor fan must say that ISI go in good direction,i will not comment graphic optimisation because i have weak hardware,but i can say that tracks environment is very nice for me

The best part is physics, in rf1 you dont feel the weight of car,if u go in to spin u dont have any clue that this will happend,for me physics in rf1 have some plastic behavior,not natural feel like in RBR or gtr2

Now things are different, physics is more natural,if u go in to spin u feel that back of car want to come in front of you,and you can fight against that,u can react..On braking,also u can feel how much you need to push pedal,u can feel exactly how pressure u need for some curve.. This is great physics,Renault megane is best thing that i drive in last few years

I hope that physics will stay like this,great job ISI

18. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

While I'm completely OK with what ISI call a beta release for rF2 (it's to get feedback and user input after all), what they have released is not the canonical definition of beta: Wiki link The operative phrase is "feature complete" which rF2 is not, and does not claim to be. It's actually closer to an "early access" version IMHO.

But it seems no one uses this definition of beta any more. Some developers (not ISI) throw buggy, barely operational code out for people to use and call it beta. Others go from beta to RC with hardly any changes. ISI have been very honest with us about what is and is not in rF2, and I think that's the important thing.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

After my initial impressions have obviously gone now, my latest thoughts are more turning to whether ISI will get everything fixed (Graphics, sound, core elements) and other areas improved upon (RealRoad, weather etc) during Beta alongside the obvious MOD Making tweaks and fixes. Seems to me theres still a long way to go before this game could go v1.0, which as we know could be anytime but the general consensus seems to be 6 months from the initial Beta release. I just wonder whether they expected the amount of graphical problems and whether they included that possibility into their working program for the next few months, the rFMOD area probably took them by surprise as well so theres a lot of work to be done before the majority are satisfied.

Either way a long way to go in this Beta and I'm very much looking forward to watching the game grow during the course of it!

yeah I think the definition of Beta is different from software company to software company, I've seen Betas that could barely be called Alphas and others that were actually better than the Gold release version!

20. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Of all the racing sim companies SMS are probably the best geared up currently for community management. They are a significantly larger organisation than ISI and sized for console sales that dwarf the PC sim racing develpers. They won't tolerate rudeness, some of the postings on these forums would get the member an instant refund without option. There is a big difference between constructive criticism and rudeness. Some members here should be thankful that a refund is being suggested...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012