Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Hi,

PC Specs : i5 2500K,4 go, Ati HD 6950, Win 7 64bits
    Devices : Logitech Driving Force Pro,moded with 32cm Oreca rim
    Fanatec CSP pedals, Frex HShifter

What i tested :
    30 m of Megane @ Portugal
    1h of F1 60's @ Belgium

Physics
    Very Good to Great, It's was natural and nice at first Run.
    Have to reduce FF to 0.75 and it feel very nice.
    We can stalled on manual clutch that's good but you don't need to cluch at all to shift up in the historical F1, did i miss something?

Graphics
    I put all details to High ( not Highest )
    Seems nicely detailed, but the lighthing/colors is not very photorealist, I prefer Iracing there.
    In single screen I got poorly 120fps solo, when I got 200+ in iRacing.
    In tripple screen it's barely playable , I got 45 to 55fps with multiview and 55 to 65 without it. But Solo, If I set 20 AI I got terrible drop to 15fps

Camera
    OMG this VERY BAD. The camera is shaking randomly increased with speed, this is very bad, very unrealistic , make driving very difficult and unnatural, and it give nausea.
    I will create a thread to explain why/how to fix the camera. It's about inner hear and equilibrium stuff.
    Here the link on my post => http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...7177#post27177

Conclusion
    I got a liftime licence, and I think I will not drive iracing anymore if the camera and performances issues are solved.

2. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

especially when pCARS looks 10x better and plays at 60fps on the same rig that is struggling on this game. something is not right

3. Syonco

Syonco Registered

Alright let's rephrase that to i personally think this game looks dated. There's only so much you can do with a ancient gfx engine + DX9. Graphics goes under the immersion factor for me, which is a big deal. And it's lacking bigtime IMHO.

That's not to say the rest isn't alright though.

4. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

Well said. When you are trying to create a game that mimics a real life event such as racing, not only do you want it to feel, play and react like a real race, but you also want it to "look" like a real race and the "look" o rf2 is far from it.

There are other racing sims that look 10x better then this and run like a dream on many peoples pc's such as pcars yet this one doesnt.

not having a go at ISI. they work hard and do a good job but i think its time ISI look at implementing eye candy to this game as you cannot dismiss it

5. idiot_intraining

idiot_intraining Registered

how are u getting 60fps on pcars?.. u aint using three screens then?.. as i am.

yea. need to use rf2 ffb physics. gui menus.. and weather.. etc. put all that into pcars....graphics..
    i have a feeling pcars will turn out **** handling.. like their last game which i got a refund on.

6. Jeroen V.

Jeroen V. Registered

Ahh see some great first impressions, always nice to see. Well deserved for ISI, because this looks and feels like it will be a stunning product for many years to come.

So my impressions.
    - Installation: no problems there, ran the mod manager, installed and updated (FF3.5) the mods.
    - Had some trouble with the purchase and activation. Expected this because of the high anticipation one can expect the load on the server would have been tremendous. So sat on it and succeeded half an hour later.
    - Configuration in-game. I have some trouble finding FF settings. I can only see 1 main setting. Using a Fanatec GT3 RS V1. Must say the FF is great, but I would like the option to tweak the strength because my monitor is shaking all over the place.
    - How do I adjust mirrors?
    - Performance: I have I7 2600, 8GB and GTX570. This runs like a dream. All settings on highest possible. AA = level 6
    - Graphics: I noticed flickering here and there. Especially on objects with light changing. When I really noticed is at the pit exit on Monaco waiting till the guy gave me the go. On the trees and billboards the light shift in a pattern (can't really explain it in a better way)
    - Adjusting the seat. In Race ON this can be accomplished using the mouse and seems like it gives a wider range. This would be nice here as well
    - Alt + tab makes my game crash "Rfactor2.exe has encountered a problem".
    - Server browser: When trying to connect to a server and it fails the server browser refreshes. I found this quite annoying.
    - AI: seems improved a lot. Tried them on Mills with the Megane. 95% is the pace I can catch (no aids). Off-course this is only based on 1 race.
    - 1 time i drove behind a Megane it hit it slightly from behind and it flew 3 meters up in the air. Was a little strange. Seemed like it was colliding with the curb stones or something.
    - When driving close behind a car (Megane) I get an oval sem-transparent shappe on the window.

Only had about 1 hour to test. Hope to be able to get some more testing done this week.

JV

7. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

lots of people using single monitor and still getting framerates lower then 60fps.

What are u on about? UI menu's? what the hell does the UI menu got to do with framerates?

i agree about weather, that may impact pcars and ffb? the FFB on pcars is very very good already.

8. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok, I drove historic F1 cars on Spa and Monaco mostly.
    It feels great! The immersion, FFB, really really good! You just want to drive and drive!

Overall though, I think it should be called an Alpha, not Beta, there is still so much to do. For example:
    - I took RF3.5 to Malaysia, set time scale to x60, and when it was getting late (evenining) the sun looked just comical.
    - Loaded Spa with heavy rain, at first it looked ok, but buildings and trees in the distance were just white. They should be grey and dark.
    - many minor bugs

Oh, and I have all settings maxed out. It runs above 60fps on i5@4.5 GHz, 4GB ram, GTX 570.

Very dissapointed that LiveTrack isn't a LiveTrack, it's just SriptTrack. Major dissapointment here!!!

Does anyone know what is STERING RATIO in controller settings??

9. Rantam

Rantam Registered

First impressions:

From the modder point of view there're a lot of good things. First: files are very, very similar to the ones we have in rF1, so apart of the new parameters added everything should be quite straight forward if you're used to mess with mod's files. But even better: the developer mode contains those development tools which were exclusive for teams who bought a development license on rF1. So for a lot of things (edit physics, sounds, etc) you don't need to mess with texts files that much, as a lot of things can be modded directly using the GUI available in the developer mode. Well done, ISI! :)

About the game itself I had serious performance problems (despite having a powerful computer), but after some tweaks is much better now. Anyway, that's expected as it's a beta.

Physics, FFB and sounds look quite good and you can see the improvements, but graphically it's a bit disappointing so far. But all this was also expected. I'm sure it will get better during this last phase of development.

So, long way to go. Let's see how this evolves during the beta period :)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  10. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

I've said this a few times before but rfactor is doing a hell of a lot more in the background than Pcars and iracing. The dynamic weather lighting and road alone mean certain graphical effects can't be achieved in the same way, fully dynamic lights (rfactor 2's sun) vs a track made at a specific time of day differs a lot in terms of how it is built and rendered. So many corners can be cut (baked shadows / lighting onto the textures being a big one) fact is rfactor is processing a crap load more information than these other sims.

I also remember isi saying that hdr was the first of a few post process effects they want to add in. Look at pcars with all the post process effects turned off and it won't be to far from this really, as the game is built up it will look better and just wait till CTDP put something out for it.

Tl;dr rfactor is doing a lot more and doing it on the fly/dynamically and this is why the game doesn't look quite as good as other titles just yet. /rant

11. lbird

lbird Registered

Hi Rantam,

from your first impressions: How difficult will a port from HistorX 1.9 to rFactor2 be? Any plans yet? I am just curious how much effort porting such a big mod will take...

CU Olaf

12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

My game is just unplayable... i have above minimum specs to run the game but it just stutters a lot and is impossible to drive even with minimum graphical settings. Also the G27 FFB is too violent. Will ISI fix this graphical or processor issues?

13. Stefaan

Stefaan Registered

I'm no game programmer at all but I find that very hard to believe given the separation of powers in hardware, CPU/GPU, and for many even multi core cpu, multi GPU sli/crossfire solutions. And this is a PC exclusive title, if there is an audience out there with the power to run games in high visual fidelity it has to be the PC crowd!
    If you see what can be achieved in other gaming titles I would equally argue that there is a lot going on there as well.

Clearly the first impressions thread is pretty heavy on the disappointed in the GFX front, the computing power over the past 6 years has gone up dramatically, DX11 as I understand in its own right has a lot of performance benefits in the way it handles things.

I don't see the graphical shortcomings as a result of limitations in code or hardware, rather a design choice to go with DX9 and what seems to be the same gfx engine as RF1 with extra lines of code to provide those extra DX9 visuals. I would even argue that a totally new DX9 engine could have looked better then this overhauled one we see in RF2.

So the bottom line is that, it's a DX9 engine, it looks dated, it was ISI's choice to go with it, people are disappointed on that front but no argument is going to convince me that the only way to get RF2 to this level was by compromising on GFX. I am sure that not only 'could' it have looked a lot better but it 'should' have too!

14. clifdavis

clifdavis Registered

One thing I noticed from setting up my dedicated server is there didn't seem to be a "Standing" start option. There was Track Default, Rolling Start and Fast Rolling Start. Should I assume that Belgum will be defaulted to standing?

edit....
    Was able to scroll and find the standing start... oops..
    Still not able to connect to the server. Looking for answers in setting up the dedicated server.

Other thoughts....
    FFB is really great. Still learning to adjust everything to my style of driving. Lots to learn and worth every second and penny spent to this point. Great job. More to follow.

15. Vien1

Vien1 Registered

Graphics are maybe too poor and I don't like ffb when using kerbs or going off the track cause it's vibrating so heavily. Everything else is great, especially the menus.

16. Sergio Marques

Sergio Marques Registered

From today on, I still have more admiration for Reiza work in GSC, wonderful job!

I was with big hopes about this and after try it, what a big disappointment, FFB in the Megane was good but in the FR 3.5 is terrible with the G25, but the worst part is how the others cars look in a race, they seem like toys rolling on rails.

17. Pasi Rahikainen

Pasi Rahikainen Registered

hey..I'm also there in the same shot :D I'm the one with black shirt and jacket..nice

18. theother5

theother5 Registered

I will comment on this too ... I do like the UI in the game overall. Sure there is a small learning curve to climb but it is quite a neat welcome to the game environment and easy to navigate around. There was little wrong with rF and rF2 has a nice UI that does not break anything.

Installation was no prob and straightforward. Add the rfmod files was also a breeze. Graphics wise, we all knew that DX9 was the opening format for rF2 graphics ... and I would be surprised if it stays as Dx9 for the life of the product. In any case, I like it.

Having a wider range of FOV is great and easier to tune your cockpit view to your liking which is a small but valued additional already.

Recognising my G25 was instant once I selected it. Nice.

FFB [G25] was certainty there and my wheel was very much awake. It can tuned a little but overall, I am pleased with it and have no issues with the noticeable change when you use the kerbs.

Handling seems very much changed for the better based on my 1960's and Megane short runs so far. More to come on that.

As a beta, there is alot to be positive about. For sure there will be problems and stuff to fix but then if a beta did not have any, it's wouldn't be a beta would it.

TrackIR did not work yet so hopefully someone in the know will post notes of this. There is a thread started here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1789-TrackIR for this item

19. Diogo Quaresma

Diogo Quaresma Registered

Let's not forget that this is a Beta. Much work to do before the final release.

20. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Im no game programmer either but i am a game designer and have a solid understanding on what goes into content creation and typical game level design and the corners which are cut to achieve performance with the pretty bits. This is what is done in most titles, especially iracing with its shadowing and lighting effects. The sheer strain of doing all these different things and again on the fly is so much more hardware intensive than pre done or scripted.

Also optimization is typically the last thing done in programming, make it work then figure out how to make it work better! Also compare the stock rfactor content and plug ins etc to what it is now, its worlds apart. God knows what we can do with HDR profiles and the extra post process effects that we will get in the future. We all need to remember its a beta and it is rough around the edges that's obvious but im giving ISI the benefit of the doubt for the time being, and i have a firm belief it will only get better.

(PS: DX9 can look as good as DX11 and can be more efficient as well all depends on how its used, i would rather have a dx9 powered sim which is fully dynamic as opposed to a sim in DX11 which looks great in its one particular time of day and never moves or changes or varies...)

(PPS: in saying all that it can look better i dont disagree with you their but i belive certain concessions must be made, i mean its almost in the same leauge as comparing Battlefield 3 to ARMA 2, arma 2 is fully dynamic and has amazing ai with whole massive islands of terrain and cities BF3 is confined to smallish maps with one set bit of lighting and scripted simple ai.)

(PPPS: The UI is horrendously ugly and un-user friendly not a fan in the slightest)