Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. pw-

pw- Registered

My biggest pet peeve right now is the GUI tachometre. It seems it's off, at least when driving the 60s cars. The GUI rev limiter maxes out at 8k, though the engine keeps climbing. The in-car tach also has an 8k red line, but it seems to be around 6k when the GUI tach is at 8k.

2. O11

O11 Registered

That's the redline. I've killed an engine that way. Shift at 8K.

Nice sound reverberations at Spa I've noticed. Really cool.

3. pw-

pw- Registered

My in-car tach numbers don't match up with my GUI tach numbers.

4. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I love the sim to bits, but my performance is taking a lot from the experience.

I have Intel E8500
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb
    4GB DDR2 Ram
    Win XP

I know this is by far not the greatest system. But I can run Crysis Maxed, (Old game, I know), and I can run every other sim, like iRacing, Netkar, LFS, etc, maxed, with 100+fps.

However, even with all settings medium, I can not get much above 30fps. There is also some stuttering, and at 1920x1080, without AA everything looks very jaggedy.

I know I need a new rig, and I certainly do not expect to run this game maxed. But if anyone on a similar system could give some advice if they are running it smoothly, I would be very greatful.

I would just like to get a good balance between visuals and performance until I get a new PC.

Other than that, I LOVE it so far!

Thanks!

5. Totorman

Totorman Registered

Hi there and first of all, thanks for giving us this game.

Like others, i've some pros and cons ;)

Pro's:
    Tracks looks very good
    Feeling of the wheel and car physics
    Weather
    Engines sounds are great

Cons:
    Graphic engine is very slow. Can't figure running Skyrim and BF3 and why i'm needing to lower graphics in rF2.
    (core i7 920@3Ghz, HD 5870oc, 12Gb RAM, 1920x1200). Looks like (i'm not saying it is) rF1 video engine with addons modules, but no real optimizations, so engine is at its maximum.
    My wife is now knowing what a FFB Wheel sounds like :)
    Spotter is not understandable because too low

Keep the good work, and i know it's a beta, so if all is going a good way, what's going next will be better ;)

PS : sorry for my french :) hehe

6. Boy van de Laar

Boy van de Laar Registered

My initial impressions are based on video's ive seen posted on youtube.

Overall it looks very promising physics wise with the new dynamic weather/track and tire model. I can keep going on about stuff that is great but since this is a beta i think its only appreciated if i send some feedback on the stuff that i think that needs improvement.

My main feedback that i will give you is about graphics as i didn't really gave it a try myself yet.

Overall it is the night lighting. When your driving on the road at night you can see the rear lights from cars that go into the same direction very clearly for a few miles (especially under braking). I would love to have this modeled. Same thing goes for the headlights, i remember Enduracers and some other mods designed very nice halo around the headlights, I'd love to see these more clear in Rf2 (especially from a distance).

Secondly it is the sound. I thought of a few things that might increase the overall quality. Perhaps its cool if you have a exterior sound for the car when its up close and a sound when its far away, something that you can change to your liking in the sfx file.

I remember that GTR3 launched a website with a exterior sound preview. I think this is because they run a different engine (which is really nice btw)

On the current sounds i noticed some looping in the Megane, and the Renault 3.5 sound changes after a few seconds then loops back into its original sound. I think this needs to be checked.

The onboard sounds seem good to me.

Thats my first impression, i will give a more detailed impression when i get the actual game installed.

Don't get me wrong, i REALLY like what i've seen so far but these are the only points i can think of at the moment that needs work.

Regards!

7. Nick88

Nick88 Registered

Think I just found the greatest thing ever!

Spa - Day to Night - Raining - F1 1960 mod. Absolutely AWESOME!

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I have a very similar system so would appreciate to be kept in the loop if you manage a good balance. I'll let you know if I have any success. Our work day started a few hours ago here in Oz so I haven't yet even downloaded the installer but will do so this evening.

9. vali

vali Registered

Great feeling.

HUGE improvement in FFB and tire physics. The cars feels just right. My graphic card is "a bit" dated (HD4850) but i can play the beta with no major drawbacks. Ok, the image quality is not great, but it is definitely playable AND enjoyable. No problems with G25 here either.

Just a question about the installer: Do you mind if we upload the file to some free file hosting? (thinking in mediafire myself). I don't know if this is answered elsewere (I searched a bit but didn't find anything against it). Just asking before doing something not allowed.

10. F1Racer

F1Racer Registered

@Totorman,

My computer specs are more or less similar to yours (core i7 930@4Ghz, NVidia 480GT, 6Gb RAM, 1920x1200)
    I have every graphic setting maxxed out with 32 sounds and I get a minimum of 70fps.

You should deffo be getting more than 30.

While I'm here, a bug I came across that crashed rF2 was setting the sound system to SRS Surround. 5.1 was fine though.

Also for those that havent read the docs... CTRL+F for FPS display and CTRL+C for CPU display.

11. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Game killer for me are the load times, low FPS and the noise from my wheel even when in the middle of the track.

Even when FPS are around 25 is still feels jerky.

System
    i5 750@3.5Ghz, HD 5850, 4Gb RAM, 1920x1200

If they could move of the settings to the actual race menus it would help as we wouldn't have to keep going back to main menus.

12. Totorman

Totorman Registered

hehe of course i'm over 30 fps. Otherwise i would be sleeping into this forum and would be shouting all ISI members :B LOL

But i thinks it's not the fps that is the real problem. Even at 60 or 80 fps it sometimes seems lagging.

13. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

i bought a fanatec gt3 wheel, in pure anticipation of this game. and the clubsport pedals. boxed up my old g25.
    im gona keep this brief and simple. its not as good as netkar pro TOTAL FAIL. i mean Unbelievable.

the ffb is sloppy, choppy, floaty. The rear end does allow a degree of slip now, which rf1 didn't, but the low speed feeling is still poor, and especially on power coming out a corner - it feels exactly like rf1. the ffb seems almost laggy. the controller input doesn't feel precise at all. (and no its not my computer)
    netkar pro is so much tighter, more stable, the ffb much quicker to inform.

this has been the biggest dissapointment ever. and i don't care that its 'only in beta' form - ISI deemed it good enough to release onto the open market and sell - which means it has to be of a certain standard.

and thats not getting started on the other things wrong with it:
    -the controller steering degree of rotation, fixing it to the car if you've set your wheel up at 900 degrees, doesnt work (i.e. you still have to set the degree of rotation to match the car, at least this time it tells you what the car does)
    -the menu button sounds............what was ISI thinking here?
    -ISI still seem to think that when you race in real life, you can hear all your opponents engines almost as loudly as your own - well i've got news for you ISI - this isn't true (and yes, this is with setting opponent vol. ratio to its lowest)
    -the onboard sounds (on all cars) - absolutely zero improvement from rf1. i mean they are ABSOLUTELY AWFUL.
    -graphics from 2008 (compare it to any of the codemasters games, okay thats unfair, compare it to netkar pro....)
    -interface is utterly dated

these are my first thoughts. i know this post is gona cause huge amounts of grief, shouts of 'troll' bla bla bla - but i don't care. im a hugely experienced simracer, and appreciated everything rf1 gave us. I expected rf2 to be, as a basic requirement, to the same level as netkar pro in terms of car feel and FFB - and it just isn't.

if you guys think the cars feel right in this, then you definitely haven't watched onboard vids of real life (as i have)...haven't driven proper race cars and single seaters for real (as i have), and definitely haven't played netkar pro.

i would like to know whether ISI honestly think this plays as good as netkar pro.....

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

This is a new industry standard in FFB. I used to think nKp was the best FFB.... until today. I've got a G27 and this is the best FFB I've felt on any sim ever. Blows nKp away on so many levels.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I have mixed feelings. But I know I spent 85 USD for good.

F1'79 on Spa is what I call pure racing.
    Megane on Spa is just journey, especially afternoon. Pleasure.
    I can feel tyre to road connection. I can feel weight of vehicles, inertia of the mass.

But I am also disappointed for a few things, especially graphics:
    1. not solved Z-fighting
    2. headlights still makes tarmac brighter during sunny day. Even brake lights are colouring a tarmac. It is almost clear, that old lighting method (from rf1) has been chosen. Too bad.
    3. headlights lit over shadows make them (shadows) darker (wtf?)
    4. glows around car lamps are made by objects. It is 15 years old technique. What about using HDR+bloom ?
    5. as commented before based on WIP screenhosts/movies, almost all objects are shaded by simply diffuse shader. Taking gfx card load into account, probably this way has been chosen to save FPS. In result, gfx looks cartoon-like. And will be, until approach will changed.
    6. A lot of place holders, like animated water. Comparing to what was done in rF1 it is step back
    7. Weather is scripted only, and transitions are too quick/vissible. however gives nice feeling.
    8. RealRoad is scripted
    9. Some features are ripped off (like real RealRoad, wind, clouds casting shadows etc)
    10. FF is not balanced. Maybe it is done correctly based on real forces, but some one forgot about dumping the values. Real cars doesn't generate such forces on steering wheel.
    11. Some minor bugs, like cosmic-looking sun glare through Megane wind-shield.
    12. Result files has the same header as rF1 ons - it makes impossible to recognize source of the file. We are talking about changing single letter in header file. How such things may be forgotten?
    13. No any improvements in damage. Additionally Megane is havy-duty like a tank.

But I cannot forget about pros:
    1. way better FF - needs some tuning but definitely it is what we were waiting for
    2. great tyre physics, however I have some doubts in case of F3.5, judged by car behaviour
    2. changeable weather system - constantly light changes, during race or even when restarting race, really adds immersion
    3. compactness of installation - really like to have all in the box, easy to install, ready to play

As I said at beginning, I don't regret money spent. I is good investment. But be honest: it is not beta. Beta means almost done product provided for testing. I would call current state of rf2 project as Alpha. Or even, a bit extended rF1. There are a lot not working things, issues or even not improved through years (some aspects of gfx) to diserve v2 number. I don't believe all those things will be solved/improved during next 6 years. There is too much work in various areas.
    But definitely it is great base for something extraordinary. I still have a hope for miracle.

I forgot about one very important thing: Even with low fps (in race with 30 cars, 1920 all full) I've got 28-35 fps and noticed no input lag, no gfx jittering etc. It is very important, that even when fps are sacrificed for overall immersion, it doesn't affect racing. Thumb up for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

i think you could have expressed your issues without being so aggressive. Don't you think?

17. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Good thing they will give you a refund.

18. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Any feedback on a system similar to this?

I have a quad core 6600 2.4GHz and a Nvidea GTS8800 video card with Windows XP32 and 2 megs of RAM. Anyone tried a configurations at the minimum spec. level?

Interested in some feedback?

cheers

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Had problems paying to start of with because the auth server wasn't working, but that's to be expected when everyone pounced on it all at once! :)

When I got signed up, I was able to start single player straight away so I jumped in.

The menus are fast, slick with no apparent lag when choosing options. They seemed to be quite clear as well. Some of the more complicated screens took a while to adjust and find what I was looking for, but that will just take time. I also got a bit confused with how the interface worked, I expected to go into the race settings and press go from there, but forgot it went in the 5 stages (series, car, track, race settings, race)

As my system is nothing to write home about, and not too optimised (hard drives are a bit slow) I stuck most of the options on medium without HDR but leaving some of the reflections and things on. I won't comment about the graphics as on my system on medium they are bound to look low-res :)

What I noticed straight away was the feeling of actually touching tarmac. Rolling out of the pits at spa (which took several attempts, DOH) the track felt alive.... probably a bit too alive so I had to turn the FFB strength down in the controller options so it didn't rip my arms off.

There was not one point at spa where I felt I was driving on a billiard table, it felt like rough ground which is good. Also on the default options the sensation of movement of the cockpit made you feel like you were going fast. Couple of quirky moments with the physics when crashing, but will show those later. As mentioned I got the replay bug which showed my car damaged even before the accident had happened.

Possible bug? I couldn't get the footage from the monitor to go back "LIVE" ? It was always 2s delay?

While warming the F3.5 tyres by weaving in the pits at mills (i think!) I hit an invisible object...weird :)

It's 1:30am here so after broadcasting this beta footage adventure over the net, think I'll have another play and document some findings later in the week.

Thanks ISI staff :)

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

i hope you mean 2 gigs of ram? :D