A little request: CV and Kg

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cloudXXI, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Please ISI, allow settings with power in CV AND weigth in kg.

If I select Imperial I don´t understand pounds; if I select metric, I don´t understand Kw.

Well, obviously I know what Kw and pounds are, but it´s just something no european person use in vehicles terminology.

I know it´s a little issue, but I´m tired of calculating to understand the power and weight of the cars.

Thanks.

2. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

What? kW are normal unit used in automotive engineering, what you dont understand?

1CV, HP, or whatever you name it is 745.69987158227022 W(wiki - mechanical horsepower)...so whats the problem?

HP or CV are units after loss in power on gearbox etc.(power on wheels)
    BHP are before loss in power on gearbox etc.("clean" engine power)

3. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

I have never listened anyone talking about how many Kw his car has. Maybe in Poland, but not in Spain.

I can do a converstion, of course. But it would be easy display power in CV. I don´t know anyone that use Kw for power in a car.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Maybe in Poland and Germany then.

5. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Yes, but we are moving in SI units and watts are derivered SI units :) Thats all about :) In engineering you can only provide SI units and its derivatives and all sims are sort of automotive engineering.

6. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

So when you watch a TV commercial of a car, the power is showed in Kw?

I didn´t known it. I thought everybody still used CV.

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Just to clarify.... CV, HP, PS might be the same or not. You have DIN HP (which is the same as CV and PS) and you have SAE HP (american) and they are not the same.
    Also, BHP means "brake horse power" and as that, can be DIN CV/HP/PS or SAE HP.

On the other hand, it would not hurt anybody if we could see power rating in units different than kW (I mean, both kW and switchable DIN/SAE HP). In car brochures, we usually see both ratings provided: kW and HP rating for a given country.

Does Germans use SAE net HP rating for their cars? No, they use DIN HP instead, and so do most of Europe. Americans use SAE HP values, not DIN.... but kW is SI unit (beeing used all around the world) so that is understandable, why ISI is using it.

8. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

HP/BHP/CV are popular/common terms to specified car power, thats because why everybody use them.

9. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

SI FTW! :)

A NASA mission epic-failed because of a unit misunderstanding between Americans and Europeans... that's why the SI exists.

10. O11

O11 Registered

But then again, playing a video game isn't exactly rocketscience, isn't it?

*prum pssshhh*

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

To clarify, in Poland HP units are used. KW (kilo Wats) are commonly used for example in Czech Republic.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

People are still stuck in BHP, but all the magazines are starting to convert to kW (in Finland they've already done this), better to learn it now. I do like horsepowers, but there are many problems with them, major one being the sheer number of different definitions for them. Kilowatts are just kilowatts.

13. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

It was in fact two American teams, Lockheed Martin and NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory. LM were using imperial whilst NASA JPL were using metric.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

15. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

16. Alicatt

Alicatt Registered

Depends on where you measure them as well, is it crankshaft, gearbox or wheel, is it the amout of energy you put into the system or take out? Just the same as BHP

17. DiscoTec

DiscoTec Registered

note...important only is WHP and torque:p

18. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

By the way I told CV instead of HP. I forgot to translate. But I see everybody has understood what I was trying to say.

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Of course where you measure it makes a difference, but there is only one definition of how much power a kW is, where as with horsepowers there are at least 5 (more if you count some archaic ones) that are just plain different amounts of power. When talking about wheel kilowatts vs. crank kilowatts, you'll at least know the "kilowatt" part is the same no matter who is talking. When comparing HP vs BHP you have to take into account that yes, they're measured from a different point and also what definition of horsepower was used.

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The only important one is torque, since power is basically just torque times revolutions. If you know engine revs and torque, you can calculate power. The two are in no way separate entities, just expressed in a different way.