+fullproc still needed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

+fullproc does not exists anymore. It is the new default.

rF1 was initially release as single-thread application.
    When multi-cpu became famous, isi added some multi-thread-optimizations which could be used optionally by adding +fullproc to the rf1.exe commandline.

Hope that helps.

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Actually, I believe rF1 was originally built for multi core, but there was some issue with it that was causing stuttering. ISI built in a limit to only use 1 core and then used their built in fix "+fullproc" to release the demons after Microsoft fixed the issue on their side. This is what I've found over the last few days researching. Not sure if it holds water.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Of course... Seeing your Avatar... Maybe I can't trust what I had found.

LMAO... NecroThreadRomancer...

4. David Wright

David Wright Registered

At RSC, one of the ISI devs said rFactor was essentially single threaded and that he didn't use the fullproc command himself. One of the advances rF2 offered over rF1 is that it uses two threads (or at least its designed to use 2 cores).

fullproc is not a Microsoft command its an ISI command though apparently Elder Scrolls uses a similar command.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

That could be true.
    The new default became singlecore with multicore optionally for those who wanted to.
    The difference in performance wasnt that huge.

Anyway, for rF2 this is not working anymore, because its default wheter you use it or not.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Multicore didn't exist on market when ISI started development and released first beta around 2004, dual core CPUs came to wider use only around 2006.

7. whitmore

whitmore Registered

+highprio is a help for CPU allocation

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

This is what I believe to be the case as-well.

I guess, but I'm almost certain that all "+fullproc" does is set the affinity to all threads; in that sense, it sort of is a Microsft command. Instead of the user themself having to open-up the task manager, right-click the rFactor.exe, and then set the affinity to all cores, "+fullproc" does that for them. It's really a Microsoft thing, I don't think a single thing changes from rFactor's side.

Most games today are automatically set to use all available cores from Windows' point of view (affinity in task manager) like (e.g.) rFactor 2 and ARMA 3 even though the very game itself is most likely not designed to use all those cores. "+fullproc" basically just makes rFactor 1, GT Legends, etc. do the same thing.

At-least that's how I understand it. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate to be corrected.

P.S. I believe Reiza added the all-cores-affinity setting into a Stock Car Extreme and Formula Truck update as I don't have to set it myself anymore for those games whether by doing it manually or the "+fullproc" way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015