Buying through third person.

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Nibo, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I do not have PayPal or credit card. Will the following work: I ask someone with PayPal account or credit card to buy rF2 for me. They open their rF2 launcher, press "Buy License" again (because they already purchased rF2 for themselves), fill the corresponding form with my Nick, my Name, Last name, my e-mail and some password. Proceed with purchase, and send password to me. Now I can log in to rF2 using my Nick (Name) and this password. Will this work? Or how can someone buy rF2 for other people who do not have possibility to make purchase themselves?

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

You can sign up for PayPal for free, and make purchases for free. You can link PayPal directly to your bank account amongst a plethora of other ways to get money into PayPal. I believe when you make the purchase, it automatically transfers the funds, so you don't have to keep a balance on your PayPal account. From what I read on it earlier today, you typically only have to pay a fee when you collect money from someone (a relatively low percentage similar to what merchants pay to credit card companies). Plus, it's known for being VERY secure.

Any particular reason you don't/haven't do/done PayPal?

I don't mean to sound like a spokesperson for PayPal...it just seems to almost be made for someone in your situation (i.e. no credit card).

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Nibo...I did have a rather funny response which included the words Flux Capacitor involved...

But I will stay sane and reply with I am sure the method you outlined above will work fine ie Someone will be able to use their rF2 Launcher and buy multiple accounts etc and then forward you the relevant details.

4. Nibo

Nibo Registered

blakboks, I don`t have PayPal because in my country its really difficult to set up. You have to order a special type of credit card from a bank. I do not want to do this just for 1 money transfer. And there is no way (at least no easy way) you can connect PayPal directly to your bank account here.

Slothman, I hope Tim can confirm this.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I 'gifted' rF2 to a mate.
    Just deposited some money into his bank account so when the time comes he can do the purchase himself.

6. SeKa

SeKa Registered

Nibu, the procedure described in your first posting will work. But you have a confidant, who has also control of your account. Be careful!

7. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I *THINK* it would be possible for a third person to buy a coupon code and pass that on to you.

8. Nibo

Nibo Registered

But coupons would not be available for beta, right? I read that somewhere here, or did I made that up? So what about described procedure with direct purchase?

Since the time I started the thread I found a virtual Visa service here in my country, its really easy to use. I plan to try it with "PayPal guest" option. Will "PayPal guest" purchase be available for rF2?

And also, for backup plan, my first post question remains.

9. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

It should work fine. I've just bought rfactor2 with race2play that included 3 months r2p membership and now have my rf2 code :) I imagine they bought a coupon and it gives you the license key number then you just enter that when we register.

10. DA

DA Registered

Are you sure? Because here in Russia as in Ukraine is having trouble with PayPal. Can one person buy an unlimited number of guest accounts in the form of coupons for rFactor 2 Beta? We've got a crowd wanting to buy rFactor 2 Beta, but this is not possible.

But there are people who have PayPal, and they are willing to buy us a copy of rF2 Beta.

I would like to hear the answer. Thank you.

P.S. And give us pls support Webmoney!!!

11. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

No, I'm not 100% sure. That's why I said I THINK. If coupons are not available for the beta, they will be at a later stage. I believe that was confirmed by Gjon in another thread. Once coupons are available though, this would be the easiest way to buy rF2 through a third person.

12. DA

DA Registered

Well, we'll be waiting for his reply. Please tell him about this topic.

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Senile me forgot the important part.
    My friend is on the pension, meaning money is tight, has no Visa card or paypal account.
    The plan was for him to go to the post office and get a Visa prepaid card to purchase rF2.
    Here's hoping that plan works.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As gift purchase is disabled I am not sure if you would be able to purchase a coupon.... We can make them, and use them, but I'm not sure if you guys have access to do so...

What you might want to do is tell them to purchase entering your details, then when they are sent to Paypal, to simply enter their Paypal info. Once he purchases, you will be sent a confirmation if he enters your email address. Once he's done this, he should logout (on the purchase tab) and you should then visit the purchase tab to reactivate. Login with the details he made your account with and change your password.

15. 88mphTim

Well just tell him to give you the Visa? No need to involve him at all then.

16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

:confused: I have no idea what you mean Tim.

I have deposited $50 into his bank account.
    He can now go withdraw that 50 and go to post office to purchase $50 Visa pre paid card.
    He goes home and buys rF2 when released.

17. Briankem

Briankem Registered

I think he could do that ADSTA the card would act like real one for what it's worth.

18. 88mphTim

What I mean is that why doesn't he just give you the prepaid card?

19. Bee

Bee Former ISI Staff

As Tim points out, when the gift option becomes available and someone purchases it for you as a gift, make sure the person purchasing enters your name, email address, and other important info so that it will be sent directly to you. Otherwise it will cause issues when you contact us for account info/renewals. Due to security/privacy reasons, that info can't be sent to a different email address than the one associated with the account.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The prepaid card is for him to purchase the game.
    He has no Paypal account and no Visa credit/debit card.
    I do have a Paypal account and Visa debit card so why would I want for him to give me the prepaid card that is meant for him?

I am just trying to make it easy for my friend to get rF2.