rFactor 2 Slo-mo promo

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LRT24

LRT24 Registered

Tire deformations are very cool.

I'm not liking the suspension movements of the FR3.5 though. Not sure if this is an issue with this particular car, or the game engine. I really hope the suspension isn't animated by just displacing each part vertically some amount based on how far away it is from the car centerline or something.

2. burt

burt Registered

Awesome! Thanks, that is just what I wanted to hear. Of all things I should not have doubted the tire model ;)

3. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

Finally a impressive shacking of the wheel !!!!!

And not only graphic as in other sim...

Finally the bumps in the wheel you hoooooooouuuuuu

Thank you ISI !!!!! Merry Christmas !!

4. Marcus Caton

Marcus Caton Registered

Very Sweet Vid, apart from the stuff already mentioned.
    I'm looking forward to whats coming and will support ISI by being one of the early ones to test the "SIM"
    I'm new to the scene, has there been huge advances in FFB overall? and more importantly good performance along the wide range of Race Wheels?

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Cool video to show this new feature, great; thank you for that, I love !!!

6. Peter-BO

Peter-BO Registered

Nice Nice Nice but

i want no more pictures, videos any many words to beta-version !!!!

i want play this game :cool:

frohes fest or merry christmas for all

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This!

[​IMG]

8. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Some concerns....

Does nobody really think the tyres look like they're squashing too much - like there's hardly any air in them??

The lack of visible lateral flex is worrying. Difficult to think someone just forgot to switch on that 'detail'.

What does saying that it's included in the physics mean? After all, the standard Pacejka 'magic formula' has a term for slip angle, so you can always say lateral distortion is included in the physics, in a sense. A little more detail please e.g. what kind of tyre model is this; e.g. modified Pacejka? Or mathematical e.g. LFS or Iracing. Really, I think some clarification is in order.

One final moan: Personally, I think the general appearance in the vids isn't great. Surfaces e.g. walls, road, tyre etc. look to me a bit like shiny plastic. But then I still think the old Simbim GTLegends had the best, gritty realistic look. But I suppose the modders can sort that out.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Check my post about lateral deformation in this topic, and what Scott said about that.

As for too much radial squashing... for me it looks like they put much less pressure on purpose, for the video. Or even modified radial stiffness of those tyres to get even more compression of the tyres, so the effect is exaggerated.

10. LRT24

LRT24 Registered

Slightly unrelated, but is the front suspension monodamper implemented with all the setup options? Is it possible to adjust the roll preload (to change the point where it goes from double to single stiffness)? Or even the infinitely stiff below preload setup, like was possible on Dallara F3 cars, I think that FR3.5s use a very similar system.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

LMFAO. K dude. The tires were under inflated on purpose to show off the tire flex. This was metioned already by Tim. Surely an expert like you reads before posting? "Lack of visible lateral flex is worrying" LOL. Now you're being picky and more than likely trolling and that's when I stopped reading your verbal diarrhea.

12. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Where does he say that they're under-inflated? I don't know why, when normal behaviour would be visible in a game vid.

And since it's the festive season, I'll send you a big kiss from the heart of my bottom.:)

You should have read on. I said something nice about Simbin. Probably the only thing we agree about.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Of course... even when just rolling along they're 'flatter' than any tyres I can quickly find videos of; the point here is that they do flex, and that they react to the surface undulations with fine detail even at a great enough speed to send these cars up into the air after impact. The actual amount of deformation can be tweaked later - whether the exaggeration in this video is caused by an exaggerated effect or the tyres are being set up (low pressure, low 'flex resistance') to showcase the effect.

Well, I don't think anyone has the right to suggest any sort of explanation is 'in order', actually.

But, to move backwards through what you've said, I remember seeing somewhere in the release literature for rFactor (1) that their tyre model was a step forward from Pacejka, so there's no reason to think they've moved back towards it since.

The fact is you could easily exhaust a modern CPU trying to 'properly' model a single tyre undergoing stress; any model is a simplification of real life and nothing will ever be perfect. So whether someone uses a recognised model or their own, at some point there's a compromise between modelling every minute movement and interaction and actually making the thing run in realtime.

So, if their modelling includes lateral flex we'll see some indication of it graphically at some point, and if it appears simplified we'll likely see it improved later.

14. Nanook

Nanook Registered

I also think the tyres look under inflated & cannot see where Tim has mentioned that in this thread.

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Pneumatics' science, welcome to PCs!

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Sorry I wrote the previous message before watch this video. Perfect elastic deformation~...

17. thuGG

thuGG Registered

What is wrong with you?
    You're like the worst fanboy I ever saw.

18. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I'm only 21 years old so that's maybe why I still can't understand why forums like this have to be full of those trolls and b*llsh*t. Come on guys, some like what they saw and some didn't. Friendly talks and constructive critism is what forums are for. If you cannot handle the pressure of these threads turn of your internet let your keyboard alone. When you think you have something important to say, press the private message button instead of bothering everyone around and post it in the thread itself.

Please, act as someone of your own age..

As for rF2, I can't wait for it to be released, even as a beta. When you keep the potential in mind, this can get HUGE over the coming years.

F. Koop
    The Netherlands
    Sorry for my English

19. doug484

doug484 Registered

Well said GTrFreak. I am 43 years old and I don't understand it either.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't believe I have said that.