A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

I am not involved with GSMF anymore due to less time for modding. But i hope that Fonsecker is going to build something great for rFactor2 when it hit the shelves.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have to completely disagree with shuffling being too slow. It isn't any slower then hand over hand. Most people don't do it enough to become instinctive so when you are in a slide you revert back to what is instinctive which for many is hand over hand. But that isn't because it is faster. I remember when I had two driving styles. One for the track and one on the road. I realized that left foot breaking, heal toe and shuffle steering was never going to feel natural unless I started using it in everyday driving.

From a technical standpoint shuffle steering animation would be really hard because shuffle steering is often something you do in preparation for a turn. The goal being to rotate the wheel and then have your hands back to 9 - 3 mid turn so you have almost 540 before locking arms.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011
  3. Emery

Emery Registered

Shuffle steering vs. hand-over-hand is often car dependent and different people react differently. Hand-over-hand is rare in a modern formula car, but if you're driving a heavy car without power steering, then you may need it. I mostly shuffle steer, but when a flick isn't going to get the wheel in the right place, then I resort to hand-over-hand. Hairpins are usually hand-over-hand going in and the exit is one hand dragging, providing friction, while the other hand unwinds.

Then there are the gold-chain-wearing Corvette drivers who steer with one hand...

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'll concede I'm mainly judging from footage I've seen, which isn't a lot. I know people who completely reject any argument for shuffle steering (even in everyday driving) because they feel it's too slow, and I'm not one of them. However, it would seem likely having one hand doing most of the turning and the other coming in to fill the gaps (and help the first hand re-grip) would be faster than shuffling, but all this depends on the car and steering ratios too.

Yes, I know... that's what I said :)

But that's why I don't think hand-over-hand in a game is any sort of 'fail'...

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Shuffling isn't slow. Just look for any auto crossing videos on YouTube.. there are thousands of them. All AutoXers shuffle. You have to because you are working the crap out of the wheel the whole run. The beauty of shuffling is you hands are always in a good position for the unexpected. If you are a spaz on the wheel you will at some point find yourself with no hands on the wheel and the car going the wrong direction. Here is one of Bryan Heitkotter's (2 time SCCA Solo National Champ, big simracer and now GT Academy winner) runs. Watch close because you may not see the shuffling it happens so fast. This run is in an S2000 (RWD) and you will see him catch several slides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHc6ODh7oRI

AutoXing is the extreme though when it comes to going full lock one way to full lock the other. If you start off AutoXing you will definitely be a shuffler. If you start off road racing you may not. If you start off AutoXing and then switch to road racing or go back and forth, you will probably stick with shuffling.

6. blakboks

blakboks Registered

@Noel Hibbard--really, he was doing both... The issue at play here is that a driver in real life will do whatever he/she needs to do to make sure their hands are in the right place to control the car properly through the corner. However, in the sim, they have to be able to essentially script what's going to happen. The driver in real life is acting predictively--with experience, he/she knows about where their hands are going to need to be (or rather where the steering wheel needs to be) and puts them (their hands) in the appropriate places. On most turns in that video, he's just crossing his arms, but when he knows he needs to go beyond, he changes between a shuffle and hand-over-hand (or sometimes both in the same turn). He only does one or the other to keep one hand in a position to be able to control the wheel (either to add more steering, or to back off to catch the slide). If he's only JUST going beyond the crossed-arm position, he typically shuffles. However, for the hairpin(s), he's having to go hand-over-hand, because he has to go way beyond the crossed-arm position. So, we can deduce that whether ones does a shuffle or hand-over-hand depends more on the position the wheel will wind up in rather than the speed with which it needs to get there.

While maybe down-the-line, someday, a simracing game may include predictive steering animations (it's certainly theoretically possible), I think it's fine that ISI has included the hand-over-hand as a one-size-fits-all solution. Especially since you're typically only going to go past the crossed-arm position in slow speed, tight hairpins, which is only a small fraction of the time even on the tightest courses--as we saw in that autocross video.

7. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Well, first thing Tim, thanks for the video :)

Second thing, its simply amazing. I love colors and light. Some objects have flickering here and there but are minor bugs.

Now i would like to see some GT´s in Estoril with rain... Make it posible please Tim. Only 30s is enough :)

If is possible Tim i could host video in dedicated server of my comunity instead megaupload or other places. The speed are 100Mb/60Mb so if you need contact me :)

8. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

one question about monaco: where is the 'pit area'..... I know that there weren't pit lanes as we know now, but where can you perform pitstops here (or will it be impossible to do races that require a pitstop at monaco?)

9. Slothman

Slothman Registered

From "memory"..down the front straight on the right hand side.....but no wall seperating the track from pit lane...

Again from memory...and I am getting old :)

10. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

yes GT car (nissan), Rain,estoril!

I hear something "beta in janunary, february" whats that now?

11. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

You can call that rumors..... Open Beta still annouced to be this year.....

12. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Tim, marshals with flags in the pit lane, it will be possible to bring down their machine? I am interested in is simple, whether fatal incident and stopped the race red-flagged.

13. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Are they on holiday?

14. dragon

dragon Registered

Calm before the storm. :rolleyes: pretty soon rF2? :p

15. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

That is what I first assumed, but then I saw the video, and it looks like there is no room behind the wall for any mechanics there, so I started to doubt it :p

That there is no pitwall is correct I think, especially after having seen the spa images from ISI ;) But there it at least was clear where the area was :p

16. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Correct, the 'pit lane' is the area demarcated by the unbroken white line on the right hand side of the start/finish straight. They used to service and keep the cars in a different part (not connected to the circuit) and bring them down the hill before the practice/race session starts to be rolled into the pit lane area.

17. Alesi

Alesi Registered

ok.. its the end of november! where is ISI?? Tim last was 23/11/2011, one week ago!! so.. where is BETA? or they`ll introduce beta tomorrow, 01/12/2011??

18. thuGG

thuGG Registered

I wouldn't count on it.

19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

11/12/2011, 12/12/2011, 25/12/2011... :confused:

20. Alesi

Alesi Registered

01122011 good date, why not)))