A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Looks great! :) Please next time with rain or both.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Every racing tire (ok... maybe it'll be safer when I say "most racing tires") is more sensitive to temperatures, compared to road tires. In rF 1 you can have that effect (how tire grip is changing in relation to temp. and pressure of a tire) but most of rF 1 mods doesn't have that implemented properly ;-)

I was curious, what other tire properties are now related to temperature but probably I just have to wait for the beta :)
    None the less, it's good you feel that tire heat have influence on how car drives.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Of course, yes. :) I would argue that some racing tires from the 1960s, considering the stresses they were put through, were less sensitive to anything than todays road tires if put through the same stresses. :)

But anyway, we're getting off topic. ;) Just remember this is one car, one type of tire. rF2's tire model isn't limited to this car and this tire - and how this tire reacted. When I talk about rF2, there's many things affecting that tire, but this car and these tires really were hard and this 'dulls' most of those tire punishments. That's all I mean. :)

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Now me ;)

I could write a note to more than few issues. Some has been pointed already out, other's not. But I guess no onewants to read this ;) So, I have no other way than write about positive things. First thing I noticed is sound of tyres hitting a ground/obstacle. Nice touch. It is one of things which were missing in racing sims - sounds other than engine or tyre while loosing grip.
    Next one is quite correct FOV and perspective. It most sims it looks just bad and unreal. Seeing big wheels just in front is how it looks like in reality. Whole track is nice detailed but more important to me are RealTrack marks. There is for sure a room to improve it but it started to looking good.
    Hope most important issues like flickering objects and shadows will be fixed in open beta.

BTW I'm interested on how z-fighting is going to be solved in new gfx engine (or maybe it is already). I mean a method/technology

5. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Is the open beta only with one track?

6. dragon

dragon Registered

wonderful ;) , so when you release the game? ;)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Fantastic vid thanks Tim! Loved the sound reverb off the tunnel walls (I downloaded the middle of the 3 options), the crowd cheering was great, the suspension movements and seeing the brakes in the wheels are ace.
    The track...OH MY GOD the track is glorious, every little detail is there, brilliant work to whom ever did this!

Simply cannot wait now!

8. dragon

dragon Registered

me too ;)

9. Martin Keets

Martin Keets Registered

Very impressed with the video. Fantastic stuff. Thank you

10. Gimpymoo

Gimpymoo Registered

Downloaded the Xvid twice, keep getting CRC errors :(

Anyone downloaded it and have it working?

11. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, I noticed the crowd sounds! A real nice addition/improvement! Though, the crowd sound did seem to fade in/out kinda sharp--it might could use just a little bit extra time to fade, IMO (I know, WIP, so it may just be first pass at mixing...).

I also noticed a few different tire sounds...think I noticed some understeer chuddering in there. Definitely the best audio feedback I've heard in a sim. Seems like all the others just have one sound they play at different volumes and a slight bit of pitch shift.

When I get home tonight I'll definitely have to d/l the higher-quality files!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
  12. 88mphTim

The site tells me it is the right amount of bytes. Are you getting a 5.05GB file downloaded, or is it stopping before that?

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Ok :)

If you were watching just the YouTube version... forget about it! I don't know if Tim reuploaded the XviD version, but the WMV version is a must to watch. If you have fast internet connection though, go for the 1.82GB H.264 MP4 version.

EDIT:
    Tim, just 1,1GB file. Should I redownload it and give you the exact size in bytes?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  14. 88mphTim

No... I can see when I login on our ftp that every byte is there... But it seems not possible to download. Damn... That's annoying...

15. 88mphTim

Those who got a 1.1GB file... Tell WinRAR to keep broken files and extract what you were able to download. You should then be able to play 1/5th of the video at least if you use VLC media player. It'll at least allow you to see the original quality.

Meanwhile, I am uploading a couple of test versions which hopefully will give a very good Youtube quality. Based on 100% Youtube recommended settings... lol

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Maybe it's because size of file is larger than what you can represent in 32-bit number?

FTP protocol should handle it so perhaps it's a problem with either server or client implementation. If you gave us link again people could exmeriment with different FTP clients.

And by the way - was that video recorded from replay?

17. 88mphTim

I'm just going to see if I can give a better representation on Youtube for now. :) The other versions work though.

No, I recorded it while driving. Which should give you a nice feeling about the framerate. :) There's some things been disconnected on the replay in the build last week that stopped me being able to do it that way, most notably some of the suspension movement.

18. Mee

Mee Registered

The 1.8 GB-file is a very good one, just the image you would see on your screen when racing... altough I hope I'll get a better framerate than this :).
    It looks very good I have to say, the YouTube version doesn't do it any justice though. Makes everything way less sharp so it looks like you have inferior textures, which isn't the case in the 1.8 GB file. Nice lighting after the Piscine btw, you can see the sun is behind you at that moment (I guess? :)). Sound is also very good; nice engine sound, the reverberation of it on the walls and the skidding sounds.
    The graphics just really need some anti-aliasing though, especially the thin shadows look horrible now. Also the LOD-distance should be higher, but that's rather obvious I'd say.

All in all, I'm impressed. Thanks for this clip Tim!

PS: I'm wondering (couldn't see it in this clip), will you see the rear axle rotate on the 60's formula cars? It was very obvious in real life, and CARS managed to capture that as well, but I have yet to see it in an rFactor 2 clip (I could be wrong).

19. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

20. shum94

shum94 Registered

Full filtering is possible framerare wise recording directly with fraps ?

Would be nice that time scale would be set on x30 for next video. The Megane on Estoril or Mills would be nice too.