A few laps of Monaco onboard

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 23, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Lots of you requested a lap from the cockpit so that you could 'see' the physics... While I am not a great believer that you can see physics in a video, I've done the best I could to show you how I was driving. The difficulty with this car, of course, is that you can't see how much throttle I am using to balance the car.

I also chose to drive the Formula 2 car because when I drive the generic F1s, I tippy-toe so much (at Monaco) that I never really get it sideways - and then you wouldn't see anything in a video. If I do get it sideways, there's not really enough room at Monaco to get it back in shape before you hit something. However, I am planning to do a similar video to this using the F1 at Belgium - and I'm much more comfortable letting it hang out there. :)

I was able to take the time to do it on Monday (it took over 24 hours to upload the 5.05GB original video render). Again, we consider this a development update, and in this case it's something you asked for. Below are the comments that come from my blog, gives you some insight into the personal experience involved.

Edit: Please note that the engine noise got DESTROYED by youtube and it now sounds like a tin can. Download the WMV if you want to hear it a little less 'abused'.
    Can anybody recommend a free file sharing site which could take the 5.05GB original file, for those of you who might want to see it? I am uploading it to our site, but I'd like to have another option.

Here's the link to a WMV (still not that clear compared to the larger file).
    http://www.imagespaceinc.com/downloads/MonacoWIP_WMV.zip - WMV - 755MB

Here is a H264 MP4.
    http://www.imagespaceinc.com/downloads/MonacoWIP_H264.zip - H264 - 1.82GB

And the huge XVID file.
    Doesn't work, apparently... :( - XVID - 5.05GB

Lastly, here is the Youtube link again. It's amazing how much detail still got removed... Youtube also did a great job if making it sound like it was recorded in a tin can.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rXhSZK7z8

2. michael1

michael1 Banned

Tim www.multiupload.com i no we have upl0ded track packs of 2gb or mabe more the direct download will work over 2gb not sure about 5gb the skys are abit white in the vid but all looks good :)

3. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Wow! What are the chances of stumbling into this news at this time and day?!

First thoughts:

What an insane amount of objects! Looks fantastic! Suspension, textures, looking at the physics - I have no worries about any of these things because I know they're be great.

But sounds are not as I hoped, I hear the surround and the echoes and crowd but the engine is... narrow and unthrilling. You didn't mention any WIP on the sound so I'm not sure what to criticise, but I'm glad, it's the first time we've really got a good listen to rF2!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  4. jomardi

jomardi Registered

THX! for sharing

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Wow, looks fantastic Tim. Thanks for sharing this video - has me very excited, can't wait to get my hands on it! It looks really challenging, more so than any other sim I've seen going around Monaco!

Hopefully this puts things into perspective for people - about the importance of a sandbag texture for instance! There's an information overload watching that video of what to concentrate on let alone if you're actually driving.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  6. shum94

shum94 Registered

Ehe :rolleyes: i see flickering & clipping and i don't care aha, it's way better than i expected. It shows something so good than i dont pay attention to the bad things.

PS : what the heck there was a jump on this track at that time after the chicane loll

7. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Thanks for sharing.

Just a month!

8. GV12

GV12 Registered

Looking good fellas! :cool:

I noticed the flickers as well, but it's obviously still WIP, so I'm not bothered. Looks a joy to drive it. Can't wait!

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Only managed to download the youtube version so far, but still impressed.

I see from your driving that what we will hope most about the rain in RF2, is to never see it :D
    These look hard enough to control in the dry!

Look forward to the Spa video

10. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yep, into Tabac there was a substantial ramp. Not sure when it was removed, but it was definitely there in 1970. I assume it was changed when the Piscine section was added in 1973.

11. 88mphTim

Thanks. After I finish our FTP I'll throw it onto Megaupload.
    I'll blame youtube for the tin can sound... The WMV and AVI both seem better. :)

Here's a video from maybe 1970, the 'ramp' was still there then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhivncAVbIg

Crazy, yes, but possibly not as crazy as the fact that just before the jump/ramp, there's an area with nothing between you and the water... Brave (possibly insane) men in those days... At least by 1970 they had armco everywhere.

12. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

give vimeo a go they don't compress as much as far as i know.

Also that was a fantastic video tim, i was grinning ear to ear and looking into each corner haha :D

13. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered

Amazing!

14. bleco

bleco Registered

Looks fantastic :) ... Thx for sharing!

Bleco

15. Will91EST

Will91EST Registered

Immersive :p

16. LRT24

LRT24 Registered

Any chance the drivers hand can be animated shifting gears? That would definitely add to the immersion.

17. jomardi

jomardi Registered

http://www.filebanker.com/about
    GL

18. 88mphTim

Those (the arms) are one of the things I'd class as WIP. We definitely have work there. :)

19. codehound

codehound Registered

It says 1966 at the start so were you in a 1966, 1.0 liter F2 car with about 140 hp? And I think the 1966 F3 was also 1.0 liter but only about 100 hp

20. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I'm disappointed in you. :(

Let me recap the last 15 minutes of my life:
    1. Read update on Facebook about a new video
    2. Watch said video on Youtube at 1080p
    3. Come here to see what shum94 posted
    4. Feel really disappointed by his response