Gameboard Support (Logitech G13)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PLAYLIFE, Nov 18, 2011.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere, did a quick search to no avail.

Wondering if rF2 will support gameboards like a Logitech G13? With limited buttons on the G25/27 and my keyboard being very fiddly, I use the G13 to quickly punch out changes. Most importantly of course is the built in macro capability, long gone is the long-winded admin function typing!

Thanks in advance.

2. Jux

Jux Registered

At first I read boardgame support :)

3. Bty

Bty Registered

G13 doesn't need any support for the buttons to work.

But you do need a plugin if you want the data to be displayed on the mini LCD screen.

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

The G13 does work but you need to map a keyboard key to the G13, as opposed to be able to get rF to read the G13 itself.

5. Bty

Bty Registered

That is true, but it really matters? All you need is 2min to remap the keys.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Maybe some one wants to use keys on keyboard as well as on G13

7. Bty

Bty Registered

Not a problem, define the same keys on the G13 and it will work.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

and those have different meaning? I mean you may do different actions using keyboard and G13 when have assigned keyboard keys to G13 keys?

For example if you map some G13 key to 'g' key on keyboard, I think both keys will act with the system in the same way

9. Bty

Bty Registered

The OS or the game can't tell the difference so you can do what you want. rFactor is simple, if you have "q" to request pit, all you have to do is to set the "q" button on the G13 and it just works.

On the G13 you can define any key to be what you want. It can be a keyboard key or it can be a much more complex set of commands, including script or mouse events.

Not really useful for simracing, since I want all my keys to be on the wheel, but if you run out of buttons you can use the G13 for additional functions.

But in other games, where you need to press certain key combination to be effective, the G13 shines. And it gets even more powerful if the game supports it, since you can create scripts that triggers on events during the game.

Skyrim for example. I have a key on the G13 that will select the healing spell and use the right mouse button to heal me. All with just 1 button.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  10. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I think you still don't understand it right (or else I am the one who doesn't understand it correctly :p )

If I get the question, then it means that if you assign a G13 key at for instance Q (pit request), then the Q on your normal keyboard can only be used as that (pit request). It can't be that on the normal keyboard it would be used as for instance launch control. So to sum it up, you can set the G13 up to be any key you like, but the normal keyboard can't have a different function as the 'assigned' key of the G13

11. Bty

Bty Registered

The keyboard act as a keyboard, it doesn't know what the g13 is doing. The G13 wont affect it any way. It's like if you have 2 separate keyboards, but the G13 can have any button you like, even the same as your regular keyboard if you choose so.

Look at the G13 as an extension, that can do what the keyboard does or much more if you want so.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

This is what I am asking. If the G13 can be read as an extra 'input' in rF2.

For instance, to scroll through the menu, I find it easier to use the G13 stick rather than arrows on a keyboard when driving. Now I've mapped my G13 to use the stick as arrows. I'm asking if rF can read the G13 so I don't need to map my keyboard on the G13 but use it directly. I know I can map everything on the G13 but then the G13 and keyboard are doubled up in functionality. I know there's not that many functions, but figured it would be easier to not have to map things rather rF2 just reads it as an input (like it does the steering wheel buttons, gearstick buttons, etc.).

Due to my setup and issues I have with my arm, a G13 fits and is more comfortable rather than the keyboard.

13. Bty

Bty Registered

I understand, but the effort required to map all the needed key on the G13 is trivial.

I also have a G13 and I love it, I just don't see the point in asking a feature that you can implement by yourself in a couple of minutes.

14. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I wasn't asking for the feature, was only asking if it was supported.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Bty, you're missing the point.

Everyone understands you can map a G13 button to, say, the 'X' key. And then both that button and the X key (on the keyboard) will do the same thing.

The point is, someone might want to use their keyboard keys as normal, and have the G13 buttons set up as separate controls. That's what was being asked about.

Just from reading above I suspect the answer is 'no' (hell, I'm not even sure what the G13 is), but that's what's being asked.

16. Bty

Bty Registered

I got it, but what you don't get is that this is not an issue. You setup your keyboard to be what you want or totally leave it the way it is and setup your G13 to have all the keys you need. If you want "pit request to be on keyboard key "A" all you have to do it to tell the G13 to use that key as "A". And now you have pit request on keyboard and on the G13.

The only problem I can see if you have so many custom setups that rfactor will take 1 additional, but even that can be solved by using custom profiles.

The G13 works like a custom panel people use to simulate a cockpit dashboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not an issue unless you expected to be able to use all your keyboard keys, plus the G13 keys, separately. A number of 'addons' (be they standalone boards, wheel add-on boards, etc) have their own buttons. So if your wheel has 12 buttons, your add-on board's six buttons would be B13, B14, ... in the game. That way you still have all your keys available, plus you can assign your wheel buttons, plus you can assign your add-on buttons - all to different things.

That's all I'm referring to. Of course you can make the G13 do anything you want, and program macros with it to simulate certain input patterns in order to cut down on key presses. But if you were hoping to use the G13 to perform some of the functions you're currently using keys for, in the hope of freeing up all those keys for other things (camera movement, for example), it would seem - based on the posts above - that you can't, with rFactor.

Is that what the OP is asking for in rF2?

18. Bty

Bty Registered

Got it now.

19. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yes.

I was just asking if it was supported, not that I want it as a feature. Not sure how it came to 19 posts, pretty simple question! lol

20. franko2607

franko2607 Registered

Playlife, I got my Logitech G13 last week and was wondering the same thing but found out you do need to map the keys you need and works like a charm!
    I got it from here and asked them if there was a way for Rfactor 2 to automatically recognize it but they replied the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011