FFB in real life VS current sims

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hiohaa, Nov 13, 2011.

1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Only those who read the post and understood it ;)

Now seriously - no matter what forum or what sim it's about, there will always be people discussing things, have different opinions or people that are simply mistaken or wrong about something.
    They are not the problem.
    People who laugh at or disrespect others for being wrong are the problem.

2. Crash

Crash Registered

You suggesting instead of looking smart, they should try to look like you instead? :p

Here's a thought, if you don't agree with what someone has posted - try constructively putting your own point across, with some rationale/explanation on how you got your opinion and with a modicum of respect, thats what mature people do in a discussion ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Can you provide a bit more detail about what you're talking about. Which post? Why is it garbage? Who said they were experts?

Why would anyone post on a forum, to people they don't know, about a computer game, to 'look smart' anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
  4. PRLamers

PRLamers Registered

To me, a very important aspect of the initial post to this thread is the lack proper FFB for understeer in games. I too am fortunate enough to have raced real racecars on a circuit and when you understeer you feel this in your wheel (and the whole car for that matter) when the tyres lose grip (sort of 'smooth' rumble). You feel that the attachment to the track is gone. I have never experienced this (also not in rF1) in a racing game in the FFB. Same with the steering moving away from you in an oversteer situation. Never properly modelled before.

I would think it would be possible to simulate this a lot better with the current FFB wheels. Tim, can you confirm that this has been an important improvement area for rF2. I think a lot of immersion can be won here!

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have to disagree about the wheel getting stiffer as the car begins to push. This is totally wrong. If you push the front wheels past the threshold the wheel will become almost completely limp. He is right about oversteer though. rF1 with RealFeel does all of this correctly.

I also see the point CdnRacer is trying to make. Although not being very graceful about it. I think what he is getting at is in real life you rely very little on the feel in the wheel. It is mostly in your ass (gforces) and your eyes. Power steering masks most of the forces you get in the wheel anyways. I think what his point is, is that you have to exaggerate the forces in the wheel (such as self aligning torque when oversteering) to compensate for the lack of gforces. So when he says FFB shouldn't be realistic, he means it shouldn't be nub (power steering), it should exaggerated.

I personally feel that RealFeel is realistic... just with a smaller dynamic range then real life.

BTW, I am 15 and have a lot of experience driving power wheels on a track (Er.. sidewalk), so I know what I am talking about. :p

6. ajk

ajk Registered

Real car is driven with 80% a** and 20% hands.

In sims you drive with your eyes, hands and you also have to trust a lot more to your ears. As you cannot feel the point tyre starting to go over its limit, you need to hear it (scrub/skid sound).

FFB wheel could perhaps substitute a real wheel feedback fairly well but imho it has to deliver more information than that as you do not get thast feedback elsewhere. Perhaps this is not to debate here now but in this sense I agree with rci808.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

But see, even this isn't entirely realistic. DOT-Rs hardly even make noise let alone full on race tires. But again, back to CdnRacers point. We have to compensate a little in sims. That's just the way it is. No way around it.

8. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Even in an ideal sim environment with a 100% realistic, 0% exaggerated ffb (wheel torque only) wouldn't feel exactly like even a drive-by-wire steering system, because it wont transmit the vibrations propegated through the chassis, let alone the centripetal forces acting on your arms trying to rip your hands off the wheel.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Noel, all tyres make noise :) Don't believe me? Go to any race track during race weekend and pray for a spinning race car.
    The only thing is - when driving fast, you don't want to be in the point when tyres start to scream... that means, you are overdoing them.
    With road tyres it is exactly the same (just an example - watch Top Gear where Rowan Atkinson, aka Mr. Bean, did fastest lap ever... and it looked like he was soo slooow...) but road tyre characteristics, beeing very forgiving, allow you to go past the optimal grip zone, start scream and still provide good levels of grip (they are safe in that matter).
    Race tyres have more aggressive characteristics, so if you abuse them you will loose much more grip.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Sure, if you push them WAY beyond the limit (as in 4 wheel slide) they will make sound. But keep in mind that the sound in the cockpit is much different then being a spectator. When you are in a car with no interior or any sound detonation, all you hear is engine sound and rocks and crap flying off the tires and hitting the car. I am only referring to DOT-R and race tires. Street tires is a different story. I also understand the sharp slip curves of a race tires. I have a set on my barbie power wheels car.

My point is have tire noise like for example HistorX is very unrealistic. Then you have mods like ES that have silent tires (in the cockpit) which is realistic but not practical for a sim. The only way to detect lockup in a sim is from head physics (which most people disable) and tire sounds. I vote for the unrealistic tire sounds of HistorX over the realistic tire sounds of ES.

11. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Let us not forget how much louder race cars are. It's only in iRacing the tyre scrubbing and wind noise is louder than LS7.R :p

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

@Noel
    In pure race car, without upholstery and with open exhaust - you are right, no chance to hear tyres (I mean, you will hear them when you are already spinning) but in less modified cars you will hear them (although there is another factor - your helmet muffling all sounds) when around the limit. For sure, such sounds are hearable in the cockpit. I don't have first hand experience but saw some onboards and onboard cam could easily pick up tyre sounds.

I think the best way is to be able to slightly hear them through other sounds when you are around the limit. The more you push tyres in rF the louder their sounds are so with that dialed in correctly, you should be able drive nicely within tyre limit.
    That's one of those things when you just can go like "must be 100% realistic".

EDIT:
    Yeah, that's funny but at least you can control the car just by tire sound ;-)

EDIT2:

Actually, you can hear slight low pitched noise when around the optimal grip, before tires become more noisy (Michelin PS Cup tyres, so sort of a threaded medium slick compound).
    But that's of course road GT3, so we can hear tyres and other road sounds without problem.
    And in theory, that kind of sound pitch gradation can be done in rF 1 but I'm not sure will it work as should.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  13. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

You is a funny guy Noel...wink wink:p

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hehe. You like that? :)

Did you see my post about Dave Berman on the SRRS and efnet#cars forums? He is under hospice care now. So sad. :(

15. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Damn Noel, that's a shame.:(

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Well now that's two who get it, will there be three? :p

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

18. shum94

shum94 Registered

I would not imagine using the curbs too much and not feel something about it.

It's basic, you touch something, you feel it > it moves your direction > you correct it.

FFB is about that, any simracer who runs without ffb isnt a true one. You won't be able to go to the limit if you dont sense the g force in your wheel and react about it.

Finally in rF1 ffb steermult i believe had to be on 6.0 or it was a mod for kids imo.
    Hopefully every mod in rF2 will do what some mods did in rF1 offering different steer mult in upgrade menu.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It does depend on the mod a fair bit, but you're also risking clipping by running very high forces - so in a high-load situation you might not feel a reduction (or increase) in force that you would in real life because your wheel is already at full force and stays there. Scale it back (while keeping it linear) and you only get a decent force at high loads, while at low speed you can barely feel anything.

Logarithmic scaling helps this, by keeping 'low' forces at a decent level, but then you lose a lot of the dynamic when you encounter sudden higher forces (the difference isn't as great as it should be), so then you start making it much more dynamic, so a low->medium transition results in medium->high FFB, which then scales back a bit ready for any following transition, but then you're moving farther away from reality... but anyway, as with any simulation you just have to do your best with what you have - and unfortunately (or not :)) our wheels can't transmit real life forces.

20. Crash

Crash Registered

Still sems to me that everyone feels something different, and will focus on what they think makes ffb right.

For instance, my experience driving different cars and in my younger years (illegally:rolleyes:) pushing cars way too fast (I won't say street racing.. but it's probably not far off) I never felt the steering go "limp" when I pushed the car too hard into a corner and had bags of understeer, what "I" felt was a "difference" in torque but never limp as such.. I've raced karts, including on slicks in the wet, and understeer felt different again in a kart but I still felt forces trying to straighten the wheel when your full lock going straight ahead, albeit reduced, buit there isn't much force to begin with when you're talking slick in the wet lol

different cars feel very different in real life too, so guys that have raced in real life a particular car will probably anticipate a different ffb is "right" to someone else that has raced a different car in real life.. for instance someone who has raced a heavy historic V8 rwd car,to someone thats raced a more modern lightweight fwd car.. neither of them is wrong, just their experience with what "feels right" is quite different :)

I have a theory, totally impossible to ever prove. If we could actually put simracers in several different real race cars and in each case completely remove the movement (g-forces etc), put monitors instead of windscreen so the only thing they could use to drive the real-life race car was the wheel, sound and the monitor.. My guess is 80% of simracers would say the ffb on the real cars is not "realistic" ;) lol

perhaps we could do the reverse, like a placebo effect - put a simulated ffb into a real car and steer "by wire", then guys will assume the simulated ffb feels realistic because their mind is "tricked" into thinking the wheel is connected to the car :p