What would you pay for a great mod?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTFREAK, Nov 8, 2011.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

At first you might be thinking "How DARE you ask such a question!!" "Mods are free you jackass!!".

Well, I bring up the question because it's being talked about here and around the net now. With rFactor2 just around the corner, there has been some rumors that some modding groups will be charging for mods.

Personally, if it's allowed, I really wouldn't mind paying 5 bucks for a great mod. Will we ever see modding groups charging for mods? Who knows. But there has been some talk of this recently, so I figured that I would ask the rfactor community what they think.

Would you pay for a mod? If so, how much would you be willing to pay?

If you are in a mod group, would you consider charging for one of your mods? If so, how much would you charge for it?

If I were to buy a mod, I'd want to know that what I am getting is a good product. I'd want to at least test it before buying it. So a demo would be a must for me. Without testing a mod, I definitely wouldn't fork over my cash blindly. Is a demo a priority for you as well? Would you pay for a mod without testing it first?

So, how do you feel about all of this?

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It's just a rummer man and your just fuelling it. Let it go, there will be no modders charging for their work.

3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Wouldn't pay and this topic is going to end up a mess. I'd let it die.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For myself, or for me and all my mates I send it to? :p

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Hypothetically speaking, if there was such a thing in place, it would be made so that sort of thing couldn't happen.

6. Grubby

Grubby Registered

As soon as we have to pay for mods it doesn't matter what we pay in money because it will cost alot more then just cash, it will kill the Rfactor community as we know it.

And I don't want that to happen.

7. AUS-mONKEy

AUS-mONKEy Registered

No and $0 to all :(

8. rci808

rci808 Registered

i tried to bribe vlm with money to be able to try the prototype-c mod that has been in work for 6 years....

yep... this thread wont last long... lol

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They could have been doing that with rFactor 1 just as much as rFactor 2... This isn't new, at all. :)

10. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

@Tim

What's with all the fish? :D

11. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I was starting to wonder what was smelling fishy. Now I know. :p

12. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

As a lead developer for Stockcar Evolution.
    We will never charge for our MOD.

We do take donations if you feel like contributing to our work.

SCE has always been free and will continue to remain free as long as it is a MOD for rFactor or rF2.

We have been around since 2005 and we have always spent more(Out of our own pockets) than what we have recieved in donations, although donations have helped us aquire content made by professionals to help improve our product.

Plus it is a pain in the butt to make something real world and then get it licensed to be able to charge for our work anyways. Safer to let it be free so everyone can enjoy a scratch built real world mod to simulate what they want.

cheers,
    Mike

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

My interests are pretty much racing, gaming, photography and fish. And someone said the last fish I had as my avatar looked 'sad' so I switched it. ;)

14. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

It would be uploaded to mediafire after the first person 'bought' it anyway....

15. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

This. The internet is full of people sharing information legally and illegally. Once it's out, there's every chance it will be shared for free amongst others.

Back to the OT, I wouldn't pay for a mod. If I ever changed my mind, I would expected a limited release so I could test it before I bought it. Of the thousands of mods I've tried, only a handful would I bother racing. There are some greats mods and tracks, but there are also a lot left to be desired.

16. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Well, i may understand if anybody out there would like to charge for their mod. I mean, creating a mod is (usually) such a huge amount of work... I guess that the only reason why we don't see that so often is because we know how these things are: no matter how hard you try to avoid it, eventually somebody will crack it and will share it on P2P networks or some of these file host services.

And frankly that's sad. It was sad seeing that happening when somebody tried to do it in the past. Something like that should be up to the modder, which is the one investing time to create content for us. And yes, i'd pay for a mod if it's good enough. Why shouldn't I? I don't see that being incompatible with modding.

Regards

Ps. In the case you're wondering: No, HistorX won't charge you to get the next version of the mod.

17. Lynkk

Lynkk Registered

I often compare rFactor with Microsoft Flight Simulator. In FS we do have paywares, and it is not a bad thing. There are still a lot of freewares obviously, but the best addons/mods are not free and often bring a good upgrade to the sim(PMDG, ORBX, REX etc...). So if the mods are developed at a professional level (for example: a highly detailed pack of tracks), yes I would be okay to pay.

18. theother5

theother5 Registered

Calls to let the thread die ...why ? ....... because we're afraid of the answer ?

Frankly, I am amazed with the variety and range available in rF and on occasion, I've donated a few beer tokens.

Personally, I think of the mods in a similar why to apps on your android or iphone or whatever.

Price would be in line with low price range apps in the mobile/cellular markets ... basically $0.25 - $0.50 flat for single car/single track and $1 - $3 max for a race series/ race series track pack.

Cry shame I almost hear in some reader's reactions.

Monetising them seems to be a complicated area regarding rights and legalities etc anyway.

19. thuGG

thuGG Registered

For a high quality mod (like CTDP for example) 10 euro, no problem.

20. SeKa

SeKa Registered

It would be the best solution, if any modding instance want to payed for, that ISI participates from 44,- + and take the stuff properly in coming content. The annual payment is for many people hard at the boundary. This may also better for a modder, in case of rights as theother5 wrote