Lifetime membership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Nov 4, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You sucked me in for another post... I haven't been listening? :)

To take a leaf out of your book, let's play scenario: What would you have done if TryMedia had shut down during the last 6 years and ISI had (taken directly from one of your scenarios, been sold)? How would you have been re-installing after system upgrades, etc? You had no guarantee 6 years ago (or any of the days since) that rFactor 1 wouldn't die... What made you so trusting over the last six years? Why is it suddenly ended today? Young and carefree?

Lean over, I'll whisper: Maybe, just maybe, rF2 will last longer than 18 months. :)

2. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

You can whisper or yell it for all I care. The position you are trying to put us in makes me very uncomfortable.

For a marketing guy, your people skills sure do suck.

BTW, I backup all my licenses on a physical drive and a dropbox folder.

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Unfortunately, it's you who haven't been listening.

Why all of a sudden you assume that rFactor 2 is going to be good for 18 months only? What happens in 18 months that's going to make rFactor 2 bad?
    I can tell you what will hapen - YOUR online account will no longer be active. My online account may be still active, because I bought rFactor 2 two days later than you. Someone else could have bought it a year later and his account will be active even longer than ours.

So nothing happens in 18 monts actually - we all renew our accounts and go on.

The question is - what if we can't? What if ISI staff has been abducted by aliens or something?
    Well, I have bad news for you here. If ISI staff will be abducted by aliens 1 month after you purchased rFactor 2, you will be stuck with 17 months of online account that you can't use. Doesn't sound too good, does it? ;)

So if you assume that something may stop ISI from providing online services, then it's not a matter of 18 months because it can happen anytime. With that assumption, you may even reach the conclusion that it's too much of a risk to even buy rFactor 2 at all :)

...and have you taken into account, that it's also possible that you will get abducted by aliens and not ISI? How's that for a risk factor? ;)

Hmmm.... it just struck me! That's why it's called rFactor :D

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not laughing at your concerns - I'm only trying to point out how weird they sound to me by being a little sarcastic / humoristic, but stll sticking to facts.

Yeah, this kind of worst case scenario is possible. But there are even worse scenarios that are possible in our lives and we don't really bother with taking them into account.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  4. 88mphTim

That rF1 license backup would not function after a (edit: system) upgrade. So the statement stands. :)

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

They didn't in the last 20 years or so, so I have a strong feeling they won't in the near future. But even if, you just stop paying them for another year of subscription. Game over, no more fun with rFactor but up to that point, you get what you're paying for. With your attitude though, it will be better if you stick with 1 year subcription renewal year after year, in case something happen (EDIT: you might get visited by aliens or something ;-) ) ... lifetime subscription is definatelly not for you ;-)

Since there are no more updates to rF 1, until I reinstall my OS, I can play forever, as long as I want to, including online :) Damn, even after reinstalling my OS there is a big chance (I know that from experience) that backed up licence files will work so in that case, you are wrong, sir :)

6. 88mphTim

I've said in a few posts that he's going to have to make a decision for himself. Honestly if there is this much fear, his league is probably better off sticking with that they have, and hoping that Aliens don't abduct anybody from TryMedia instead (as the backup he mentioned wouldn't help him with an updated system).

7. 88mphTim

A system update (new mobo, cpu) requires re-authentication as it is recognized as a different machine. In the original post, I said system. Just because I didn't say it there in the post you replied to, doesn't mean I meant something different when responding directly to him.

8. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

That is the conclusion my friend

9. mianiak

mianiak Registered

As long as the matchmaker server isn't in the ISI HQ building, that shouldn't matter really. But if the plane crashed into the server building, then there could be a problem...

10. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

The arrangement you have with Trymedia adds a layer of security for us users. If they stop doing what they do then it's in ISI's best interest to find a solution. 2 companies would need to turn their backs on rFactor in order for us not to reactivate it.

11. 88mphTim

But I thought the last two pages were proof that unrealistic and unlikely situations were acceptable arguments in the discussion? They were for you.

12. Marek Lesniak

You mean, hardware upgrade, Tim.... if you want to be that picky :)

Noo... ISI got sold, Trymedia dissapeared... there are no alternative solutions. That could happen with rF 1.. and still can, don't you remember? You assumed that in relation to rF 2 so why that can not be valid with rF 1?

13. 88mphTim

Not picky... That was the only applicable?

BTW, you can reformat, possibly even change OS(?), as long as the hardware remains with rF1. Always worth a backup. :)

14. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.

Mr. Wheatley, stop feeding the trolls, these guys are being uhh nvm I dont want to insult anyone.

15. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

The likelihood that both are offed is less then only one, the same reason people diversify their stock portfolio

16. Marek Lesniak

My experience shows, that system upgrade (which for me means OS upgrade) not always requires re-authentication. I think I had such situation during my beta testing of Vista OS. I was going back and forth between XP and Vista and (but not always) I could reuse Trymedia files... but that was like 3 years ago so I'm not 100% sure about that.
    As for hardware upgrades, that still depends on what you changed. My Win 7 already went through 4 platform (mobo+cpu) changes within almost last 2 years (since early January 2010 when I went from 775 to 1156 and decided to stick with Win 7), not to mention some GPU and/or CPU within one platform throughout that time and didn't have to re-auth my rFactor installations.

Yes, but you can never be 100% sure... and that's something you want from ISI. And you simply won't get. Even Swiss bank can't guarantee, your money will be 100% safe all the time forever.

17. 88mphTim

heheh. I've often felt that people deserve an opportunity to converse. Some people take it badly, others don't. As long as someone doesn't get personal there's no problem getting heated. ;) Some people aren't able to discuss without getting personal though, but he's been OK.

18. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Even though I don't like your answers, thank you for responding. This issue is a real concern within our group.

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

The day i start taking sim racing *this* seriously is the day i stop :p

20. 88mphTim

I appreciate you saying that. Thanks. :)

Anyway... All I can really say is that I don't think you should be worried. I know you are, but I don't think you should be. I wouldn't bring my league straight into rF2 anyway (let the modders establish themselves), but I would not hesitate to become a part of the community and (when you feel rF2 is ready for you) bring in your league. ISI loves it's independance and without it, we certainly wouldn't be able to license out the engine to rF Pro and other developers. ISI makes far more money by itself than as a studio of a publisher. I can't give you a 100% guarantee and as you said above, that's why people spread their investments... Life happens, but ISI has been around long enough now that it really should be considered one of the more certain things in life.

I am done now, I have to put my daughter to bed. :) If you continue to discuss, please - nothing personal, stay cool. :)