rFactor 2 important Discussion..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Nov 4, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

When is the last time you paid ISI? Probably the same answer?

2. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Its the Glass half empty or half full.. Not many understanding my point.. however I will leave it at that alone.
    rF2 may become less of a modding friendly enviroment...

3. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

well how many Karters did i bring into this game.? your whole Karting base in rF was started by me.
    plus a following of 10,000 plus members at my site.

4. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    Quality scratch-made mods make RF great. I personally wouldnt have any complaints about ISI giving these guys extra incentive. But at the same time I dont see them being obligated too. Modders do it for themselves not rewards, were just lucky that they share with the comunity.

Now, with that said, my apologies if i'm mistaken(I've been out of touch with rf1 content since my g25 died), but isnt your mod "F1 Classics" basicly all ripped content from GPL? Arent you guys the guys with the site where the comunity could go to download all the "illegal content" other sites wont host?

You really think ISI should reward you for stealing other peoples work?

Again I've been out of touch with the comunity for awhile, so if i'm mistaken you have my sincere apologies.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  5. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Making rFactor modable was a simple stroke of genius for ISI. Simply put a great marketing plan that was made available with tools....."build it and they will come" kind of thing. Has it sold copies of rFactor.....you better believe it has. I know I bought it simply because of that. Why should rFactor2 be any different and why all of a sudden are we seeing modders and others making noise about rFactor making money off of their backs??. As has been said....you either do it because you want to and enjoy it to no end...or you throw in the towel....$13 a year aside. I donate to modders that have produced good mods...not all of them have setup payment on their sites... so keep up the good work and enjoy what you do cuz we are all are not here long enough to do anything different.

6. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I hate to break this to you people...

ISI already made money from the modding community. We made the mods. you bought the game for the mods. ISI profited. Why is it such a big deal now?

I didn't see anyone pissed off about it during rFactor's legacy. Why are you pissed off about it now?

So basically, ISI making money from rFactor was ok, but making money from the second title is not? Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  7. 88mphTim

it's up to you to try to make your own money off that - if you want to - doing whatever you think is fair to you. The same as ISI.

8. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

Sorry Foxtrot, i'm not talking about conversions, but scratch made material only.

9. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

I really don't like people speaking for me. I didn't buy rF for the mods. All the sim racers I knew at the time of release didn't buy it for the mods. I paid $35 (or whatever it was) for the original content, the physics, and the fantastic multiplayer. Not for mods. People seem to forget that before rF, there were many rabid Papyrus fans who insisted until they were blue in the face that only Papyrus could do multiplyer correctly. I remember loading up original content and racing my sim racing friends for the first time, and realizing immediately that ISI did it better. That's why ISI received my $$$. Nothing to do with mods. If ISI didn't get so many things right with rF, I wouldn't have bought it or used it even once over the past six years, regardless of the mods created for it.

10. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Answer...= MODDING!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  11. 88mphTim

Aaaand? You do realize they get paid for working for ISI, right?

12. frankwer

frankwer Registered

I bought rF because of the mods and the excellent modding capabilities of the game. But i lost interest in the game when the base of mods were so huge that i had to install things a billion times in order to play online.

13. David G Fisher

Great. Before that they came out of a womb. Should ISI give all mothers of modders free online access to rF2 now?

14. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

well i can see people starting to charge for the time it takes to get a car or track into rF.
    not charging for the mod, but for the time it took to get it into rF2.
    or maybe a membership fee to a site where you can download the mods.
    or just stop modding all together... who knows what will happen. it's too early.

15. F1lover

F1lover Registered

.... All i said is..

16. F1lover

F1lover Registered

one another.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I remember the old RaceCast concept that died. ISI had guide lines for submitting the mod to be recognized by RaceCast. Basically it required a title, description, author and two thumbnails and it looks like modders just couldn't find the time to do these few simple things and RaceCast died. Or perhaps the modders did submit the mods and ISI dropped the ball. I have never been able to get a confirmation on this.

It will be sad if modder boycott and don't spend a few minutes to go through the steps involved with submitting it to ISI's system. Yet they somehow find the time to go through RFC's process to submit mods. OMG, they are charging $13!!! Lets boycott. If I was creating content, I would love to submit it to ISI so it was easy for my fans to have access to and not have to mess around with mirrors and rapidshare and all that crap.

Speaking of content... I am curious if the new plugin API will be unveiled. I can't wait to see what we will be able to write with the new API.

18. David G Fisher

What's funny about these discussions is that if ISI was charging $57 for rF2, none of these guys would have ever had any thought to complain or feel offended, even though the end result is exactly the same (except for those who don't race online).

19. F1lover

F1lover Registered

HEHE for once I agree... Yes mate.. Charge $100 for the game.. that does not bother me.. but leave it open.. don't charge on the backs of others..

20. Revvin

Revvin Registered

ISI created rFactor to be a platform for people to create. They could have easily gone down the route they have in the past and gone to a publisher like EA and licensed their engine or created their own project and made it completely closed to modding. They gave many people the chance to have a go at creating their vision of a racing sim through their own mod. Some did create, some just ripped other people's work, tinkered with it and released it as their own. Mods didn't save rFactor, some of you guys have an over inflated opinion of your importance. If you're so good then either go and create your own game engine and publish your own titles or put together a commercial mod group and pay the going rate for ISI's engine like Reiza Studio's has, like Simbin has. They were modders once so if you guys are really that good then rather than whine about a measly $12.99 pay the going rate for licensing the engine and make your own commercial project if you want something back for your work.