RF2 over LAN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pitkin, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Litchfield, if you pay for the game you're paying for access to the matchmaker. If you want to ask for a specific level of service, as in uptime, you might want to ask ISI about that directly... and be prepared to pay through the nose for it.

Since you obviously know what it all means, if you do buy it you're agreeing to it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

2. surfboyrio

surfboyrio Registered

FInd yourself a job maybe you can make money and stop troll 500+ post on this forum.
    Troll without argument detected.
    Thx for the compliment "Kid".

3. karmatose

karmatose Registered

I play BlackOps via Steam. A lot. I haven't even played the single player campaign and only bought it exclusively for online play (and zombies, which I play single player quite frequently). There's been a few times where I couldn't play because I couldn't access the server list. It's frustrating for a few minutes, but I just take a look at the other games in my Steam library, pick one and be happy.

... That or I go outside and work on my E30.

4. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

< Real names...What a novel Idea, Dave Millard.

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Fear the Beard!

6. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Well, that may be true, but my friends aren't going to buy a copy of the game just so they can play it for a couple of hours a week if they happen to come around to my house. They've lost no money. They don't own PC's, so they wouldn't be buying anyway. They were playing because it worked for us at the time. There are other games around, RF1 for starters. I'm really not that bothered, but it would have been nice, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  7. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Very true.

But there's no harm in trying to influence things is there?
    Negotiating, compromising, talking, asking, even fighting.
    It's how we evolve, make progress. If we all just stood around making do with whatever was given to us without complaint, would we have all the things we have in life now?

If you don't agree with something, see if you can get it changed. If you can't, well, at least you tried.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  8. NOxy

NOxy Registered

Question for ISI: Can you host a LAN game with a 56K dialup connection?

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

i say get rid of lan and cracks then mabe less cheaters also

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

People cheat over your LAN? Do you not get on with your family/flatmates?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Raal Names for me is'nt a problem, but there are some who dont wish to use theirs and I'm fine with that. Also parents might not want their under-16 year old blastng his/her real name around the internet so you have to think of the children!!

12. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

Since when was a dialup part of a LAN?

;)

-----

On the wider point -

I hated this idea of the subscription at first, especially the phoning-home malarkey, but I am coming 'round to it.

Realistically, it doesn't change all that much, does it? The biggest real gripe is the LAN-party issue, but how many will that effect? And it isn't as if it makes it impossible, just a little more unwieldly.

People paying for dedi's and modders - well, whilst it might feel a bit like you're having to pay to use your own stuff, it isn't actually like that, is it? It's actually to prevent piracy, and to help provide a consistent platform so that your users get the right mod and track (and providing stats) whilst ensuring ISI get a steady stream of income (which hopefully ensures rf's longevity and continued development.) The dedis are online already, right, as are the users.....so where's the issue? Hopefully it will be seamless and invisible.....so who cares?

Looked at like that, it really isn't much of an issue, is it?

Hopefully the Beta will put to bed all these concerns, and we can get back to racing, and marvelling at our new platform. ;)

Besides, at least this news changed the complaining from "real reflections need a doppler Oren-Nayer-Blinn material with a zplaned 32 bit multi-layers anisotropic whatsit to be really effective - will we gets it?" blah blah blah. :D

13. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

Well. If you play multiplayer game in LAN then you need internet only for connecting to the server. After that u dont need internet at all. So the answer would be yes. You can host LAN game.

14. RacerXtc

RacerXtc Registered

Well I own a coffee shop with 15 legal games of rf1 I got by purchasing 15 g25 steering wheels, I also have 15 cockpits set up with monitors... All connected on a lan for our customers.. at present it is great for a father son get away to have some fun racing. with Rf2 coming out are you requiring me to get 15 licenses for on line play only? No LAN that would kill it for me... I can't get accounts for everybody that wants to race .. But I know 80% of our customers that have tried rfactor at my shop went home to buy there own rigs and there own copy of rfactor to practice at home. How will this effect my good times..? all my customers would have to create there own account to race at my coffee shop? or will there be a work around for certain circumstances? Everybody that races has there own profile and we keep points so I can't be the only one to log in..Just wondering what to do...Thanks Guys can't wait!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  15. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

I think you can buy as many licenses as you have computers and log there in yourself and let them use the game. Its little more work but that would be stupid if everyone get license just for racing in your shop :D Every computer can use only one account for driving at the time :p

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Heading off-topic for a sec, are you sure you got the game with the wheels? When I bought my G25 there was an rFactor disc, but it was the demo... no license included. (content-limited demo, not the later time-limited demo)

I don't know if we have details yet on how driver 'accounts' are handled in rF2, I think we know (!) you can't just lay down another install folder for each user, but being able to have different driver profiles (and some stats), separate to any licence-specific stats, might be a question mark?

As for making the LAN itself work, you'd just need a net connection all the machines can use to send their (presumably) few kB to when starting up, joining your server, and maybe when each race finishes (or that just comes from the server - not sure). Wouldn't expect it would need to be a huge connection since it's not used for any of the actual game data.

17. RacerXtc

RacerXtc Registered

Yup your right Lazza, I contacted my network admin and he said we purchased 15 Licenses 1 for each system. they were all rfactor demo's to start with ..It's been a few years now. and I know i will have to buy 15 copies of rfactor2. that's not an issue. But thanks for your help I think I will just have to wait and see... I still can't wait :eek:)

18. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.

Where's your coffeeshop? A 15 pc rFactor lan sounds like good times. :D

19. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

ah - of course. my bad, sorry. Now a dial-up IS part of a LAN - because of phoning home. lol

20. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

One way could be some sort of ACTIVATION CODE for 48 hours that you can get from MatchMaker that enables LAN possibilites.

So friends whos gonna sit in a LAN can get codes from someone who has internet or from their home before they go to the lan. Just bring an activation code from your online account from MM.

But that would open up for a way to hack it more easily i guess for online play.

Any thought's on this?