RF2 over LAN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pitkin, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Not everyone is registered on this forum from rF community, so you don't know how many of them actually are there. The fact is, the new approach makes LAN racing much harder to organize or even impossible if you don't have good and reliable access to the internet in-situ.
    Oh, and for all the guys with "great" idea of accessing the internet through a cellphone... you wan't to pay all the bills for me for such connection? Be my guest then! If your service provider offers good price for accessing the internet doesn't mean, it's like that in all countries all around the world.

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Thank you Noel.....it took the whole effin thread for someone to post what I was thinking about...and was just about to post..... ;)..... and Maxym...if you call me a kid...i'm gonna have to come over there and whack you with my cane.... :D

3. Armanini

Armanini Registered

cmon ppl, i think you all have the wrong approach..

the price itself is very good, and 13$ for whole year? cmon.. that's really good price..
    i welcome this way of charging if that means that because of regular income the game will progress and keep updating and improving..

lan thing is a bit annoying and in reality removes the option to have lan party in your garage without net access but this is common thing this days..

for home racing it doesn't matter..

i just hope that online driving in rf2 will be better than now, and i mean - a lot better :)

till than, i can't wait for beta and sign me in right now :)

4. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

*Facepalm* Yet another person thinking its about the price...This topic has become pointless, its just going round in circles. Do all you new posters in this topic read more then just the last page? Unbelievable...

5. niscalo

niscalo Registered

In my opinion, huge mistake the need of buying an online account to connect to a private server or LAN... I'm afraid lots of leagues will stick to rF1 for a while, most of our users league are terribly disappointed :(

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Petros....please get off your white steed good sir.....the dragon is no where to be seen. I (and I am sure there are quite a few of us here) HAVE read ALL of the posts...adnauseum....and I happen to agree with Noel....like it or NOT!!! The game has yet to be released...and as a matter of fact....every bit of this thread is mearly conjecture at this point so I would suggest you lay off the labling of people as being not up to the task of reading and comprehending. Thanks for coming out though... :)

7. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

The point is, what would be a better alternative against piracy? I hate this system, at least the way it sounds. But what else is there to do? ISI runs a business, not a charity case, and in their business they need to ensure their product has adequate security. Lets say some time after the game releases it is pirated and many start using pirated copies, how will that make you a legitimate buyer feel? I know I would be pissed having paid money and seeing someone else get it for free. There would be a huge revolt on these forums about it.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the way it sounds, but I don't make posts simply to rant and rave, I try to make them constructive and well thought out and take all sides into consideration. There must be a way that it can be done, but if we cannot come up with that method, then what can we expect ISI to do then ensure utmost security is kept?

We all see how much of a plague hackers are nowadays, including the Sony PS3 hackings. None of us would feel particularly happy seeing rF2 hacked and used for free. This would hurt ISI's sales, their ability to fund new content and projects in the future, and in the long run we will lost out.

Its not about the money, its about trying to figure out what balance in today's times we can come up with to make it work without leaving the game open to hackers.

I don't expect any of the guys in ISI just threw out this idea and said, lets go with it. They would no doubt have gone through some major meetings and discussions not only about this method, but about how to create a method compatible for those of us who don't like this. The fact we are stuck with this method is probably because no one could come up with anything just as we have not come up with anything.

I like to get riled up about things I don't like as much as the next guy, but we have to think logically here. What choices does ISI have? None by the looks of it and if having a stronger security against piracy is achieved in this method, then we can only welcome it and be glad others are not getting what we're paying for for free.

8. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Considering that all you people come in and post the same crap when it was explained pages and pages ago, its only right to feel that people are not up to the task of reading and comprehending because 90% of the posters began with the exact same nonsense you did which was once again, not the point most of us were trying to make.

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Hmm...well I am very sorry to NOT be up to your standards good sir. Shall I go crawl back into the primordial ooze now?.....

10. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Hey, your the one the dished it out first. My facepalm post was meant for armanini but I guess it was my mistake for not quoting...I'm not trying to say that you yourself are not up to the task of reading and comprehending cause clearly you are. I'm saying that a lot of people here are going on about the same thing over two threads now and are not comprehending that even if the price was $0 we'd still be having this conversation because it has nothing to do with the fee, it has to do with having to connect to MM to use LAN. Why should anyone require an online subscription account to connect to LAN? that was the entire argument since day 1. And people disregard that and keep going back to the money.

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Well I will quote Gjon then...and this is what he said in the very early part of this thread..... "On the other hand, maybe I’ll just do whatever I want for no apparent reason… it works for me". So.....here we are 7 pages later....blathering about something we do not know the absolutes about.... :). I am done with this....

12. orangutan

orangutan Registered

And direct IP (i.e private leagues).

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'll say it once, plainly, clearly. What you want, isn't going to happen. The pricing and the way that it is formed is what has been decided.

Me neither.

Why are you spending that much? I don't understand. Hosting doesn't cost anything... and No euro price has been said... What are these figures and what are they for?

That's only one reason. Another reason, as Gjon said, is because he wanted to. It's his product. Pick any reason you like, it is the same outcome.

I don't understand... Would you have preferred us to surprise you after you bought it? :)

I'm not happy with any mention of what is possible via Piracy, at all. So please have that be the last time.
    Again, discussion of hacking the game, circumventing the matchmaker, etc, is not acceptable. Where do you think you are?

FYI, the dedicated server is what runs LAN multiplayer, too.
    rF2 comes with what is essentially four executables: Dedicated server, Single player, Multiplayer, Mod mode.

Mod mode allows modders to run their mod in the software, adjust and load elements on the fly, etc. It's pretty cool, it might even get me aware how to do modding. ;)

We're aware of a very high percentage of users doing that with rF1. It's quite unfortunate. But please make sure that's the last time you mention it on the forums of the developer. :)

I understand the fear of change, but I do not believe your fears will be recognized as fact. Thanks for coming here to post and hopefully over time this initial fears will subside once you realize you'll still be able to do what you enjoy if you simply adapt.
    I think you've missed that LAN was actually completely removed. It isn't a new approach, it's a rescue. If you can't make the new LAN process work for you, then obviously rF2 doesn't have a LAN you can use. You'll simply have to factor (no pun intended) this into your purchase decision.
    The same way you're attacking new posters for mentioning price only, is probably the same thing they could do to you with piracy. Piracy is ONE of MANY reasons this was done. You also need to stop mentioning piracy... For heavens sake... You're on a dev forum.......

14. O11

O11 Registered

This, this, this!!!

15. jimbop

jimbop Registered

ISI are going to charge to play online.

forget all the matchmaking...mod checking bollox, thats just whitewash.

ISI are going to charge you to play online.

its sad if other games go this route, paying for LAN and IP connection has always been free. yes! i know the fee their charging is paltry...but its still a FEE!

id rather pay £50/£60 for the game, surely theres other ways to combat piracy than this.

16. orangutan

orangutan Registered

Well, what is going to happen is pretty clear. No need to hang out and wait. Wheatley erased any ambiguity.

Unfortunately he also erased any hope. Even if the 'fee' were zero (which, honestly, for a hobby, $13/yr is the same as zero), the ability for ISI to void community investment (wrt online use) at any time is a show stopper.

I would not be surprised if most high effort modding teams see this the same way our team does, once they digest what this really means.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

17. Litchfield

Litchfield Registered

So basically, should ISI (and by extension) Match-Maker be bought out or shut down or go away for whatever reason, I'll no longer be able to play rF2 online? That is what this comes down to. I can play rF1 online forever because we can always connect without MM. It is the need to make EVERYTHING online go through MM that really kills it. Because should ISI or MM go away, so does the only reason I bought rF2.

How many people here really ONLY play rF1 offline?

And Tim, can you please confirm that above scenario should it ever happen? Is that what would essentially be the case? Or is there a plan should ISI or MM go away for us to continue using rF2 online?

Thank You.

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

So, what you're asking me to do is to anticipate what the scenario with the software would be if ISI weren't here and how you'd continue to be able to play it?

I'll answer that if you can tell me how I'd pay my bills and support my wife and child if your scenario played out. Do you get what I mean? :)

Honestly, it's silly. One of the reasons why you're all having so many issues with the changes in rF2 is because ISI is looking out for itself, yet you want to debate that not being done? Even though it is? It seems a weird line of questioning. We have absolutely no intention of being out of a job.

19. George Lemos

George Lemos Registered

This has been a tedious read these 7 pages. My goodness. Glad its Friday and I have a strong beverage waiting for me later.

I have no problem with any of this. As an rf server admin over the years, anything LESS I need to do, running mods, plugins, stats programs for the website etc. that the MM service will do that I don't will help me out.

I don't care about the fee, I see it as time is money. If time is saved by me not having to do some of the other tedious duties I've done for my community in the past, and I can spend more time racing, and improving, maybe I can stay on the lead lap one night :)

I'm a supporter of the iRacing system, and this system if its worth it. I think it will be, but we'll all have an opportunity to let ISI prove it to us. If we feel it is not it is our choice to fire them and move on. But honestly, looking back at this, ISI is a business and not a charitable organization. Its come to this for a reason, or as Tim said, several reasons but I know one of them that is a strong reason and charity as of this release for simracers is out the window.

I'm very much looking forward to testing rFactor, and adding it to my iRacing collection of race sims to use with friends. I have many friends who have been looking forward to getting back to online racing. Get in on the beta I told them, and use those 18 months up racing before you make the decision to pay 13 dollars for another year of racing and content.

It’s not like its that terrible call of duty elite service they want to charge people $50 a year for.

I do certainly recognize the issues the new system will put on those with poor internet access but hopefully in time it will all work out for them.

MY QUESTION, like iRacing, racers were forced to use their REAL NAMES. In a way, I think this helps with the ramming issues because that level of internet anonymity is removed. I think it may be a good idea. What do you think? Has this already been posted elsewhere and I missed it?

20. smbrm

smbrm Registered

real names!

I agree real names for real people and real drivers!