RF2 over LAN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pitkin, Nov 3, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

But that's the point, there's an ongoing cost, so there's an ongoing price. You didn't pay for what hasn't come yet and what is an ongoing cost. The price is attached to the area creating a lot of the cost. I'm not underestimating the impact of the modding community on rFactor. But there's a reason why no mod group has developed their own engine, too. ISI has a fair bit of experience now, and rFactor 2 has broken a lot of barriers. It isn't easy and it wasn't cheap.

With regards your reply to revvin. I'm confused... There was no mention at all of the dedicated server, so let me put that straight; there's no hosting charge. The only thing which applies to hosting really is that your server will be connected to (by drivers) via our matchmaker. You currently won't need an online account, a lapsed offline account or even to purchase rF2 at all to host a race via the matchmaker on the internet or LAN.

We are working towards increasing the quality of the races and the quantity of the servers. We're not working against you or the clients (racers) here... If you want to run a LAN with your kid at home, great, launch a server and just have two online accounts for you and kid to login with. We still think that it's value for money, by a big margin, even though we're asking a bit more each year. Obviously the proof will be felt on that within the next few years, but I don't feel ISI did wrong by anybody in the community with rFactor...

2. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Is going to be rfactor2 different? The only difference is now we are going to pay for online gaming.

I can see the moral problem about paying for a server and paying ISI for using that server. I pay for a server in the league my web runs.

But I don´t see the online account changes anything in the ISI-modders relationship. ISI has always get benefit for modders.

3. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Well at least that answers the question on if we'll need to have multiple accounts. It is what it is, not much we can do about it.

4. Highharti

Highharti Registered

Personally, I don't think modding will be very different to how it was in rF1. You'll still be able to upload your mods to something like rapidshare, if you don't like the ISI-service. And I can totally understand that something like the mod-management system can hardly be for free. There will be loads of traffic to pay for.
    This for me is an example of how it should be done: you give them your money, and they pay for the server and traffic that is needed to let you download the mods and install them easily without much thinking.

There was:
    Should have used a proper quote instead of the @-thing. ;)

...which people have to pay for and don't have an alternative to. ;) I think I got that right.

I just have to point something out again:
    It's in my interest, that rF2 keeps developing after the initial release. I'm absolutely willing to pay for that (even regularly). I know that simracers are a minority and I appreciate that there are people like you ISI-guys who take all the risks and try to develop something great for us anyway.
    It's not a matter of money for me. How it's done is, what I don't like. It just needs to be refined, a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  5. shum94

shum94 Registered

Come again :confused:

There will be some kind of exe with all rF2 defaut content and dedi server launch box for free, i must have missed this announcement somewhere or i need to use google translate because i'm confused here.

6. Highharti

Highharti Registered

Tim is only about hosting there, not about driving. ;)
    You can host for free, but you'll need an online account in order to drive online.

7. Omicron

Omicron Registered

I think it's like rFactor 1. All you need is rFactor demo to host a server.

8. shum94

shum94 Registered

Explain that. How you do it ? You dont purchase anything ? Download nothing ?

In rFactor, once purchase, you had the exe containing the content of the game plus the dedicated server exe.
    Tell me how you will have the dedi exe of rFactor 2 for free ?

Edit : demo = one car, one track. I havent read anywhere this free dedi exe thing.

9. 88mphTim

We haven't said this before, because we didn't assume that people would assume you had to pay to host. :)

10. 88mphTim

Of course you have to download something..... But hosting doesn't happen in the sim. We said that previously. You have a separate dedicated executable. Even if you are racing on the same machine, you would run the server in the background. It runs from the launcher.

Reading back, you do seem to be confused. You didn't need to buy rF1 either to host, you could host with the demo.

11. Highharti

Highharti Registered

You can run the dedicated server exe without having an online account.

You didn't need to purchase rF1 in order to get the dedicated server either. You were able to download the whole game, including the dedi for free. You only had to activate it in order to play the game (for more than one hour). But there was no activation needed to run the dedi.

EDIT: not quick enough :)

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

No... it's not the same or not even similar.
    To race online on your own server, on your own tracks and mods, you have to pay ISI for that. That's how it is in rF 2. And how it isn't in rF 1.

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Ok sorry but i didnt know that, i hosted by client method not dedi. And i forgot about the fact we had the whole exe and we just needed to activate it but i never knew dedi access was allowed before activation.

Then the only problem is for modders, paying for online access to play online their own mod.

2.23 am je vais dodo lool

14. Highharti

Highharti Registered

Hehe, same here, beeing in germany.
    Need to get some sleep now. I hope the open beta will be on, when I wake up tomorrow. [​IMG] :D

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Online with whom? :) To drive on your own track you don't need to host a race for yourself - you can drive offline.
    It's the ability to play with other people that you pay for, whenever it's using your own content or original content from ISI. This has nothing to do with modding.

In other words - if someone likes to play online, he will have his online account paid anyway.

16. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Are you sure??

From the posts made by ISI, not some crazed phychotic who read between the lines,...

- The Yearly fee will NOT stop you joining multiplayer races, LANS or anything else.

- The fee will be used as a system to help with AUTO UPDATING mods and tracks and skins. That is all I could ascertain from what ISI posted.

SO really, dont pay and you can MANUALLY find the files from the MOD Teams/Leagues and make sure YOUR install is up to date. Pay the yearly fee and the servers will do it automatically.

That is how I read it. Personally I think everyone has gone a bit mental over this.

The key is people do not have to pay and it WILL NOT REDUCE ANY THING WITHIN THE GAME!!....

But again, only on the info I have read from ISI posts :)

17. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

That's because you still don't understand and the fact you don't understand is proof of why this system is so confusing. Its not about updating automatically or manually. You have to pay to be able to play LAN or IP or Online public. Paying for being able to play on online public servers is fine by me, but having to pay to be able to access your own private server or a LAN network??? that's the issue here. Do you understand now?

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You're wrong Slothman.
    That's what I thought after reading the interview two days ago, but it has been cleared now, that connecting to servers will always be done via matchmaker, even if you have IP address you want to connect to.

Of course updates will still be available to download manually, but any kind of online play requires online account.

19. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Yes I am of the DIY mentality, and I see no reason why I should have the alternative forced upon me. It is offensive especially when I am not in control of when it starts.

I've never seen a mismatch that wasn't able to be fixed. We all started with zero knowledge of rf. We all learned. Everyone has the potential to fix their own. It is only impossible when you perceive it as impossible. If I can do it, anyone can.

One of the justifications that was given for the price was a concern over the cracked version. Nice thing to be concerned with, but other than increasing the price I pay, how does this have anything to do with me? There is nothing I can do about it. Why is part of my yearly fee attributed to this? I've done nothing wrong, why is there money leaving my pocket?

20. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The rest of my post was a description of a different system, something more ideal than the "you give us money, and then it is up to you whether you utilize the service or not, BUT your time is ticking" model. It was generalized and may not apply to rf2, unless someone takes the time to apply it.

What is the reason why offline and online are packaged together? If after a year you can run the sim offline apart from online, you should be able to start that way day 1.

If it is not possible to disconnect the two, could the start of the year be deferred to the first race connect attempt, first login?

I have a rig I can mod with, but probably will not be able to race with, and almost certain I won't be able to race with online. I like to build things more than I do race. With a smaller subscription time period I waste less money, by only paying for the time I actually utilize.

Further Questions:
    How many profiles do I get for $13 a year?

Can I sell that profile, (thinking of a friend who sold his WOW profile for enough $ to buy an XB)?