RF2 over LAN?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pitkin, Nov 3, 2011.

1. JTninja

JTninja Registered

I have no problem paying $13 a year for online service, IF its a good service. The current rFactor gives us random disconnects, driver swap issues, and random errors while we do endurance racing. I shouldnt have to pay to repeat the same issues rF1 had. If rF2 fixes these problems, and can run a stable grid of 50 cars for endurance racing, than I will happily pay the annual fee. If im paying for an online service, the service should be continuely updated and monitered to fix any arising issues. Its sounds like rF2 will be doing so, but I just want to make sure...;)

2. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Decide, please. Is it going about the money or not??

3. shum94

shum94 Registered

You missing the point.

He feels that he pays a server to host races that people join and he feels that ISI take advantage of the fact that people
    (have to)
    want to play online on nice servers rented by him for exemple.

So ISI benefits from his effort offering a nice place to race on. Do you follow ?

Modders feel the same on french forum (not me), they feel that their work offered for free to the community is the same way explained above.
    ISI will benefit of the work done for free plus modders will have to pay for playing online on their own Mod.

Again it's not about the money but some principles.

4. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I do understand your concerns Petros... Well, maybe they come up with a solution. Something like, registering your dedi's to your matchmaker account or something like that. Muliple IP's for rF2 Server-Hoster. Because without you hoster, there will be no action in the multiplayer part... no server...)

@Shum94: I also understand the modders concerns... hmm tricky...

ON THE OTHER HAND: It was the same in rF1! Petros bought all the server for rF1. He felt like he had to. And Modders created Mods that forced other people to buy rFactor to play those mods.... so... it hasn't changed a lot, I guess...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  5. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

THANK YOU! Someone with a brain has finally entered the conversation. Its all about the principle of the matter. I can understand and fully agree on paying for accessing public servers, updates, news, public rooms. I just don't agree with having to pay to access my own server or to play via LAN between two computers in my own house!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  6. Highharti

Highharti Registered

@revvin:
    Was that meant to be a serious post?
    Do it. Charge people to use the dedi-server-software. And see rF2 fail.
    Server costs are enormous. No one makes any profit by running a server (well, the guys who sold them to us did). We run the servers because we know ISI can't do it themselves, without making rF2 uber-expensive. They already profit from the fact that we help their software to run in multiplayer. No need to have any extra-charge.

@Tim
    same answer to you, really. It's the other way round. We are fueling your project, and we do it completely for free! We don't make any profit out of it. Most of us don't even cover the expenses. We pay for all the traffic, all the machines and all the ressources that are needed to enjoy your game online. And I don't want you to charge anybody for that, because we already paid for it.

EDIT: very well said, shum!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  7. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

The registering your dedi's to your matchmaker account is something I feel is a major plus if they do rather then having to pay multiple subscription, that's actually a good idea since I am planning to pay for a subscription anyway. My main and many others main issue was the fact that we would have to continue paying to access LAN via two computers in our own home, or our own private server. At the end of the day, it will be what it will be, there's not much we can do. ISI will have the final say, and we will have to make the decision to either suck it up and deal with it, or move onto something else.

8. feels3

Online payments are part of the cost. You like it or not, that how it works in nowadays in many products.
    If you don't like it. Don't buy it. It's easy.

Your complaining will not change anything.

9. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Ok then I guess you won't have any problem with paying for every mod then?

10. shum94

shum94 Registered

Is that so ? Was i complaining ? lol

You've seen modding in Iracing ??? Sorry but in sim racing with modding, that's new my friend, and i expressed the feeling of some not mine, i've stated in this forum that ISI could charge me 150 € for rF 2 no problem.

I think the strategy is to get more people buying rF1 than rF2.

10 000 people x 32 € = 320 000 €
    then 4000 (let's be pessimistic) x 10 € = 40 000 € the second year.

Now maybe this is the plan as ISI has no plan this time to sell their engine like they did with rFactor. So less money for ISI.

I think that the price of rFactor 2 should be higher and the annual price should be reduce because the service should lighter.
    5 € a year but let people who choose not to take the service to have LAN and online by IP

The service should be quality mod installing patching and not about the online part of rF2.

I wish rFactor 2 would be 100 € once and basta, that's my sentiment because i see problems earning money by a service undirectly related to licensed content (modding).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  11. Alesi

Alesi Registered

its like iracing. u buy track, cars. but u cant play the game u bought cause u should pay for internet or for the subscribe iracing membership.... And what happens when yours servers with our accounts drop down for hour, day weeks?? the communites stop playing?? very good, cool ..yeh

12. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

I have no problem with paying for the online service, the fun justifies the relatively small amount.

But online connection for LAN is not the best Idea. Till now, only a great hall with enough power sockets is needed. In future it will be much more difficult, to find a suitable room for LAN-Partys etc.

13. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

That is my thought now.. paying to play your favorite mod online.?
    so what is keeping the modders now from chargring for the mods.?
    when is the last time you drove an ISI car.?, it was in rF1 Beta for me..
    if i wasn't a modder, i could care less about the $13 a year, that is cheap.
    I just don't think it's right for the modding community to supply content,
    while rF2 grows because of the community input, and ISI profits from it.
    without having to go through the licensing procedure.

I think this will hurt rF2 in the long run with Modding teams. just my 2 cents.

14. Alesi

Alesi Registered

i think it will be better if u just makes license DLC for money, not the accounts... and everyone will be happy...

15. shum94

shum94 Registered

This will split people apart by having servers hosting content that you cant join because you dont have it. The whole idea is to get people in the same platform (content wise).

Maybe mods creators with + 500 positives votes or some kind of system should be offered the online access...

16. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

You can buy with 13 dollars a year?, a Porsche Turbo?, an apartment in Monaco?, a Picasso masterpiece?...
    Buy a chemicalburgerweapon in McDonalds is more expensive.

17. feels3

You should read carefully Gjon's post once again...

18. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

this post explains nothing, and i'm not talking about LAN or offline access.
    if you still need to connect to matchmaker for LAN or IP connect, and your subscription has ended,
    your getting nothing.. but offline.

19. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

That is what already had happened in rf1. Modding community supplying contect for free and ISI earning money with rfactor sales.

Now, the difference is that ISI charges online gaming for a service he didn´t offer with rf1.

You can like it or not, thinking it´s fair or not; but I don´t think the relationship ISI-modders is going to change at all.

The difference is that now, you pay more, but you have always paid for playing the free mods.

20. shum94

shum94 Registered

I disagree, we paid for a sim with content offering modding possibilities using official tips & tools.

Any modder could do a mod and only publish it in a limited access.