Matchmaker Subscription?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kyle House, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

People just want something for nothing..... one word.... "spoiled"

2. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Woodee i enjoy to see this videos nice done it is so much more fun things in life then play online games ;)

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

thanks!

4. koolpapy

koolpapy Registered

Need clear answer
    I pay for connecting on servers, or to host? (for example)

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

Matchmaker c'est le lobby, tu paies pour pouvoir y accéder. Rien ne t’empêchera de te connecter sur un server via IP.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You will pay for matchmaker access and some additional features like automatic updates.
    If you will not pay, you will not be able to search/connect servers using matchmaker. But you will be still able to connect online server knowing its IP address (for example league server).

Additionaly, buying rF2 you got matchmaker access for a year for free. After this period you will have to decide if you need matchmaker or not. That's all story.

*) Matchmaker is an engine used to search servers by some criteria. You know it for example from rF1.

7. theother5

theother5 Registered

Personally, rF1 has been superb value for money.

I would expect ISI to factor [no pun intended] this into their pricing schedule for rF2 .

Initially I read "subscription service" which is now clearly not the case. [refererring to the rfactornew.com article]

Tim's post #2's
    does indeed tell me my concern was not valid.

A message to clear up any doubt about the IP is perhaps not critical now though it would by like that city in France .... what's it called .... oh yea .... Nice!:p

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's simple:
    - you buy rFactor2
    - you can search for online sessions and download updates using Matchmaker for one year without any extra payment
    - in this time you can add some servers to your list of favourites

After one year:
    - you will have to update your game by downloading patches yourself (I assume patches will not be that frequent after one year)
    - you can still connect to your favourite servers
    - you cannot look for more servers using Matchmaker, but you can still google for them or look for them on RFC and other portals

Of course if you're in a league or want to join one, Matchmaker is not needed at all.

I think everyone will find enough good servers during their first year and even if these servers go down after some time, you will still be able to find more.

9. Jux

Jux Registered

I understand that there are extra costs to provide better online experience, but that must be part of the deal. It is todays standard with computer games. If I buy a game that is marketed as modder friendly; big community; good online play, etc then this is what I am expecting, when they sell me their product.

How they use the fanbase, community, etc to be profitable in future, is ISI problem. Subscription based cost is just wrong. As one said before - it is counter productive for what it stands for.

I really like how Blizzard's Star Craft 2 is done. The multiplayer, ranking, matchmaking, community, chat - all is top notch. And strangely, that does not need on-going maintenence. Well sure it does, but they don't charge for it. Of course it is foolish to compare Blizzard with ISI, but still.

I'd rather not have that functionality in the game which needs the subscription and constant maintenence, because I think when I don't buy the subscription, it will render my game useless.

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

So, don't think this way, you will be satisfied ;)

11. Jux

Jux Registered

A wishful thinking. Why would ISI invest resources into such a useless business scheme in the first place?

Let me tell why I use rF1 and how I would like to use rF2.
    I am casual normal person, who plays computer games to relax. I have good wheel, G27 and I want to use that wheel from time to time. I choose rF because of good variety of mods and multiplayer. When I play rF, I usually drive few practice laps and then head into the public races. I am not a die hard competitor, I just race for fun. Versus human players it is naturally more fun. And I sometimes I don't play rF for months.

Now if I buy rF2 subscription and won't play for months, I feel I have wasted my money and it starts me thinking, if I am not that serious racer, should I really get rF2?

12. Jux

Jux Registered

"Well, that's a shame, sir, becarse I was planning on playing the mindless optimisim card very strongly."
    -- George

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

OK. Now I understand your points. You have different point of view because you are not simracer as most of us but casual player.
    Now I understand your frustration.

But on other side, sells model dedicated for casual players is a bit different. Look at products of EA or CodeMasters. They release new product every year with a bit new content. And casual player pay for it. At this point I'm curious why do you want something for free from ISI (I mean providing online service for unlimited amount of time)

14. henri200

henri200 Registered

I would rather think that without the subscription you can't play in online servers at all and can't access updates to the game (or maybe some special content/updates for the owners of the subscription). Otherwise the point of this subscription seems pointless and doesn't seem to be very necessary. But let's see when more details come. I must say that 'announcing' such a thing in a short interview answer is weird, because it lacks information and causes a lot of misundestanding among people.

15. Jux

Jux Registered

That's exactly so. I am not a typical casual gamer - I'm a gamer from '90s :p. Games that have depth are very dear to me, while games that are coming out of factories are garbage. Nowadays there are very few good games and usually they are from small companies - there are off course exceptions.

About your question, why do I want something free from ISI ... well, the other games give online play for free. It is and will be the norm for game companies. I have another question. As I am not the target audience of the game, wouldn't it be a good opportunity for ISI to take my money? (I mean ISI should aim their product to casual gamers also - the hardcore simracers allready are in iRacing.)

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think you are (as well as we are) not in position to say ISI what they should or shouldn't do ;)

Hardcore simracers live around hardcore sims. rF is one of it.

Tim has confirmed (answering on my straightforward question - here) that updates will be available even without subscription (by manual download).

I also deduce that since ISI talks about "matchmaker" instead of "playing online", you will still be able to play online without subscription, but you will not able to use matchmaker. It is assumption but I'm quite sure it is true.

17. blackcat77

blackcat77 Registered

It's not "something for nothing" if you paid for the game. The vast majority of people who buy racing sims participate in online leagues and ISI is fully aware of that. If I can still connect to league servers and get updates for the game, the Matchmaker thing is no big deal to me, but if this was just a plot to control access to every online league and pickup race, which apparently it is not, then there would be a big problem. I am waiting for more details but will admit that this was unexpected and makes me wonder if any more surprises are coming.

18. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Sounds too much like iracing to me, why should we pay for somthing we've alreay paid for, i couldnt careless about having things done automaticaly you can keep that, but i really wouldnt like to 'pay' to view servers which are paid for by us the users in the first place, which after all allows drivers to play rfactor online which keeps interest in your game.

If isi fancys renting some servers out which you cant view after 12 months then fair doo's, but i'm not into this idea our privately rented or bought servers will dissapear from matchmaker....

19. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

I can't believe anyone can actuallty have a complaint about this. Actually, after 15 years of listening to sim racers......yes, I can. This small payment after ONE year is LIGHT YEARS from what iRacing is doing. How @$%#&*% cheap can people be that they would have an issue with this?? You obviously have computers, graphics cards,
    internet connections, hardware (wheels and pedals), and yet you have an issue with something so miniscule, which doesn't even prevent you from using the sim after the first year is over?

20. frankwer

frankwer Registered

ISI should just release a version of their game every year, like Codemasters and then noone won`t complain because it`s labeled as a "new" game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.