rFactor 2 to use gMotor 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Has anybody from ISI ever given a clear answer to this question? Will rFactor 2 be based on a new version of their engine? And if so, is it closer to gMotor 2.5 or will it be a full upgrade to 3.0?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

gMotor is graphics only. The community incorrectly uses that name. For example, pMotor is physics, different bits have different names.

A 'full upgrade' would be 3.0? lol No, actually that's not how it works. :) The numbers mean absolutely nothing like that (because this doesn't tell you anything about gMotor, pMotor, etc, and their advancement). rFactor Pro has the same engine number as rFactor, for example, but it's not the same. :)

But the version of isiMotor, which is the actual engine name, and as meaningless (except useful for good reference, etc) as it is, is 2.5.

Edit: This is also why some of the customers of ours might either say they're not using our engine, or that the version of the engine they use isn't really that important. For example if someone used everything from rFactor, but put in their own gMotor (graphics) then it'll look a lot different. If someone used pMotor with everything else being their own, then they may feel right saying they only used a small portion and didn't use the "engine".

But, FYI:

SCGT: Cube
    F1 titles: 1.0
    rFactor: 2.0
    rF2 2.5.

But again, a little meaningless in many ways. Between 1.0 and 2.0 many part of the code were completely re-written (as EA owned that work), so while the engine might have been 2.0, the parts within it could technically have been called 1.0 as it was their first version away from EA.

3. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Thanks for clearing that up, Tim. And while I realize that these arbitrary names and number are meaningless, why didn't the team decide to call rFactor 2's engine isiMotor 3.0? ISI doesn't turn out very many commercial games so it makes more sense (to me, at least) to fully jump to 3.0 for this next incarnation of your sim software.

4. 88mphTim

rF2 wasn't a throwaway of most previous tech like it largely was between 1.0 and 2.0. The engine isn't the physics, it isn't the sound, the graphics, it's what those things plugin to. You don't change that very much when you don't need to.

5. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

I dont know why I like this kind of information, I just do.. thanks Tim

6. 88mphTim

I was really interested to learn, too. :)