Promo video "Grand Prix" for newly announced rFactor 2 track at Inside Sim Racing

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1i9DNScRTI&feature=player_embedded

I see "rFactor 2 Trailer - World Premiere".... maybe my english simply sucks, but "rfactor 2 trailer" means to me exactly how it sounds - a trailer of rFactor 2 sim so with like any title or movie trailer, shows (EDIT: should show) exactly what we can expect when the product will be realeased. There is no mention on the video, that it's "just"a track announcement or WIP material... but maybe I'm just blind? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
  2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I saw one thing no one noticed (I believe): DOF.
    But assuming we waited so long for this feed, it might be done by selecting blurred areas manually for postprocess ;)

But in overall I must agree with Lesiu.
    I got this video as rF2 related demo/teaser/whatever, not tribute to old Formula One. I compare to nowadays available gfx technology and even to what is possible to achieve with rF1. Unfortunately there is nothing new, and nothing stunning we are waiting for in gfx area. Sorry for criticism.

3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Uhm... can someone help me to get back on track. What are we "discussing" right now? LesiU it looks like you feel quite offended by, what you might call a misleading marketing from ISI!? Is that right?

Whit all my respect for you and your opinion I think it might or could be a good advise to get a thicker skin. Arguing about such things wont affect the final game in anyway, isn't really productive/constructive and in the end of the day it just fills half of all the pages in here... it's quite annoying to be honest.

I don't want to offend anyone, maybe only a lil reminder to what we are here for.

Edit: And that there is plenty of new tech in this video compared to rf1 is really obvious.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah I didn't notice THEY had called it that until Gjon mentioned it to me. Also, here's a quote from OUR YouTube:
    This text being similar to what ISR said verbally. I wasn't aware the title of THEIR posting would have made all that difference.

Anyway. Last posting, I'm done on this one. :)

5. 88mphTim

Apparently things were all thrown up in the air by the use of the word "trailer" by someone else and I guess things snowballed?

6. Marek Lesniak

But it is THEY who was given the video offically at first so if THEY put the wrong title, why Gjon didn't do anything to correct that? Nothing changed, so for me their title is correct.

It is THEY who published the video at first so what, you (ISI) didn't told them what the video is exactly about? Then how do they know it still might be a WIP (and yes, they said that but in very general way)?

But you are right, there is no point to continue on that as it's pointless. I hope though, we will see some proper rF 2 teaser pretty soon... or maybe there will actually be some sort of an open beta (and if that happen I REALLY hope to see some documentation about the sim).

Flaux, when I heard a video was released and see the title, I was really expecting to see rFactor 2 how we will see it when it will be released. Add to that, community asking all the time for some recent video showing current state of developement... you get the point.

7. 88mphTim

Because that wasn't noticed until it was posted, reposted and people like you would have seen it. A change at that time, or now, would have led to you probably responding in a similar fashion, saying exactly the same things you have about the video (because I'm sure you would, WIP, trailer, whatever the title was), except now you'd be able to accuse us of removing the word trailer due to your responses.

I don't blame them at all, I sent the video to gamespot and they also used the word trailer when I specifically told them not to. What am I supposed to do about that?

You did see the current state of development in the form we wished to present it. When the video production was started you saw exactly where we were at. There's some different colors and lights/darks, that's it, which is not accurate as they were video fx. But if we had shown you the raw fx, we were just as far off current development as HDR was working, just not stable, so was turned off. The sim didn't look how it looks, so the video doesn't look, how it looks in a different way... So what? We haven't taken money yet.

8. Marek Lesniak

No, until it wasn't an evident reaction on my post, but then that's perfectly OK. The tile was wrong, community reacted and it was corrected.

If that's the case, then you could do nothing.

So, it looks like nothing is overlooked and by looking at that in such way, I'm looking forward to.... see some more stuff, before we have our first look at the beta :)

OK then, I thought there was more than HDR, that is missing on the video.

9. 88mphTim

LesiU, I hope you understand how difficult this is... All I'm trying to do is give you guys something, whether it's edited or not shouldn't matter. Honestly all this has really done is made me realize why devs don't communicate. It's far, far easier to keep quiet. I know you want to see the current state of development in a form of raw footage but right now that's not going to happen, can you guess why? The current state of development.

I'd love to give you clips all the time, infact that's what I was doing early on (the rain experiment, etc) until I became disillusioned at how WIP footage, captured quickly so you can be updated, is treated. Infact showing anything WIP in ANY current state of development just seems to bring 50% of 'constructive' criticism on things which are irrelevant to the thing actually being shown.

There's a tightrope walk to make and on one side you have those who tell you the graphics are bad before you've even worked on them (like happened with the tire stuff), while on the other side you have those who specifically look at the feature you're talking about as you'd hope they would. Who is it more important to make happy? The answer is neither. You have to do what you want to do, make the videos you want to make and put them out - and that's what we did. But if you want to know why you're not seeing constant WIP updates? It's because the software changes constantly and there's no gain for us in putting something out when so many will ignore what you're trying to show them and comment on what you aren't. It gets to the point where you might be better off just letting the customer sell via word of mouth when they get the product and only make any videos or screenshots to sell or even expose to a wider audience well after that. Because so many people (the vocal ones) are seemingly unhappy at everything you put out whether it's current state of development or not. It's made this part of the job - the part where I'd be giving you guys info - really hard. It's really hard to sell putting out a WIP video to anybody now due to previous responses, so seeing current state of development chances become less. You simply don't want to give ammunition.

10. 88mphTim

Please don't start picking apart my replies, too. Would be very easy to stop making those responses, infact I've told myself to stop a few times but still felt you deserved a response a couple of times now.

I think you need to calm down a little on how intricately you look into things like what is specifically mentioned as an example in a sentence. Even Shum does me the common courtesy of not doing that and analyzing when I have or haven't said a particular phrase.

11. Marek Lesniak

It is easier to respond to multiple things from your one single post, when they are separated and you know what I mean. I'm NOT manipulating with your asnwers (changing their meaning etc.) and you sound like I am...so, calm down ;-)

As for the part you quoted.... maybe I wasn't express myself clearly, so again:
    When I saw the promo video a few times and already knowing there is HDR missing, I had a feeling that there are more things missing than just HDR, by of the impression of what overall quality was represented on the video, compared to recent screenshots.

12. yifter

yifter Registered

Tim, there's always folks that wants, neeeeeeeedddssss, to complain. The vast majority of readers in this forum or watchers on youtube know exactly, WIP means NOT FINISHED YET, I suppose. Most people on this forum, at least that's what I think, get a big smile on their faces, as soon as shum94 asks for the day of the week, or CdnRacer freaks out about iracing. The ISI guys can rest assured, the majority of people waiting for rF2 appreciate every bit of information they can get from you. I suggest to ignore the constant moaning of some in favor to bring joy to the many ;)

13. 88mphTim

There are indeed more things to be done in terms of in-software FX. But the fact I mentioned HDR only doesn't mean I'm giving you some new info that HDR was the only thing either not in or not 'final'. My concern isn't with you separating things to answer easier, it's with things like that. :) I've already told you what you're asking previously, you're asking it again because you did exactly what I was talking about where you took the mention of HDR and no mention of anything else as an indicator of a change in the information I had given previously. It wasn't.

I'm not going to list every single thing, every single time I talk about everything. If I happen to leave out HDR the next time I mention shadowing, it doesn't mean we've removed HDR. Ok? :)

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

The thing is - it wasn't a promo video at all - just a Grand Prix movie tribute :) It could have been done with rF1 just as well ;)

15. Speedyice

Speedyice Registered

Tim, hang in there. I'm sure there are lots of people that view these forms without posting that are very happy with the WIP stuff we've seen and the info you post.

I for one loved that video, very well put together. Maybe I just have a low threshold for good graphics, but I thought it looked great.

I'm sure its hard to resist replying to people's negative comments, but I'd prefer you to just reply to questions about content and not people's complaints.

16. 88mphTim

I'm fine. I try to separate myself as much as possible. ;) It is sometimes hard through not to get emotional over something which is your 'baby'. Even though, honestly, it's the devs who do ALL the real work. :) As I said, I am concerned about future media though. Screens or video. That's probably not too good. Really, it's just his point of view. Text is always a difficult media to communicate through, especially if the native languages are different. I hope I don't come across bad too often, if you ever talk to me in person I'm quite nice. ;) I try to use smileys to put this across.

Might just try to answer text stuff for a while. I could push for another Q&A rather than any other screenshot or video media... I have to update some of the site stuff first though (forums will be down tomorrow for that). Am also still working on some more licenses for content, though what I'm working on now is unlikely to be out this year, and will instead some as some sort of addon like the BMW Sauber did with rF1. Some of that content is really cool, too.

17. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

18. 88mphTim

19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Thanks Tim for quality assessment.
    My fear in the visual and physical quality of your Livetrack. Have you seen the video Global Rally Cross? They track live at the expense of pollution, there are traces on the turns, on the transitions of the soil and asphalt contaminated asphalt, this small crumb of soil greatly affects the adhesion of the wheels, so many nuances in it. I understand that it is very difficult to develop, I'm not a programmer, I'm an artist. But 2 years I have been working on tracks and rally cross achieved impressive results on the engine fRactor1. After a release before reporting LiveTrack I do not find the place itself that would understand, learn and see how it works.
    Once your project allows you to correctly simulate the behavior of vehicles on the ground. We have made great progress in work. And now very much hope that he will rFactor2 huge step forward! What would our plans were realized even closer to reality. We have a solid foundation for developing a physical model and the behavior of cars, we deal with the real racers. Trails filmed equipment and built with the errors in 10mm.
    In the summer I came back from vacation and saw your video of the tires, I was just shocked, you're really doing a great thing! I see the ability to make some shortcomings of which he wrote, and see them on the promo video, but this is not a release the video, it ads.
    Irwindale Speeway this is my personal project an experimental on it, I develop and test new ways of working for yourself ... And hope that it will revive LiveTrack. Shadows of you now super, they are very much enliven the image, adjust the lighting right is my problem.
    I sleep and I see a revival of the track, and of course then its release for rFactor2. Although maybe if I have time to finish it this month, I'll do it for rFactor1.
    Yes, I was thinking about LiveTrack long before the first information about rFactor2, I thought how to make it, the principle is simple enough. but I'm not a programmer, and programmers have no friends. Of course the idea will be embodied not, well, what to do, not all dreams come true.

I hope everything correctly translated the Google translate.)

20. Scott Hiland

Scott Hiland Registered

Thanks for the video news Tim.

Please do not get too worked up over LesiU responses. Me personally welcome any sort of content you guys plan to put out and would love to see ISI to keep communicating to the community. Some seem to fail at understanding that this game is not only made to impress (EDIT: appeal) and sell to us the consumer, but also show us the consumer what the developers wanted us to see and experience in their game or sim. The sim looks leaps and bounds better than rF1 and am so ready for this titles release. Even though it showed everything most of us knew, it was nice to see most of it all together in action. I would welcome more teasers ;)

Keep up all the good work ISI!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.