So...how good will the multiplayer in rF2 be? Pick up races? iracing quality?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isamu, Oct 6, 2011.

1. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Iracing has a lot of control over their users: you race when/where they want (private leagues apart).

That´s not bad at all, it´s working really well for them.

But I don´t see ISI doing something like that. Neither rfactor2 users demanding it.

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't agree. Most of the road racing is pickup racing at best (8-12cars). Plenty of cars and series which have empty servers (road racing side). Heck the most anticipated road car for a long time, the F1 car basically only does one race per week. I knew first hand from as recent as a few months ago and I have a friend who races there and he just lives a few blocks from me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  3. doug484

doug484 Registered

I gave up on iRacing about a month ago. I got totally fed-up and cheesed-off always having one of the fast cars in a race only to get wrecked because some over-aggressive punk starts a crash in front of me - on lap #4 of 100.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Me too! Driving into a corner 6 cars wide with people who cannot drive is never good. With all I Racing's nanny state philosophies I've never had a single good race in the game.

5. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

Does this mean there is one and it will improve?

6. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

All pickup racing is going to be like that. It was much, much worse in rF1 and N2K3 than it is in iRacing IMO. Join a league if you want perfectly clean racing.

7. doug484

doug484 Registered

It used to be a lot better a couple years ago, but I think all the good racers have gotten fed up and left. Mainly, the only people left at iRacing now are those that will run you over rather than try to pass cleanly.

I don't believe there is any good solution to clean up on-line racing because of the anonymity of the internet. If you're at a real track and do something dumb there is the risk of another driver coming after you with a large crescent wrench. There isn't the same risk to your safety if you wreck someone racing on the internet.

I know leagues are a good option sometimes, but it can be very difficult to commit to always race a certain time of the week.

8. shum94

shum94 Registered

As long as you know how to behave in a fight (double line), respect blue flag and keep your line and let the overtaker do the job, it should be fine.

You just have to setup a warm up lap then standing start to see how much noobs cant even do that properly.

The lack of admins on server doesnt help too.

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Since everyone is going online with a registered, paid account in rF2, I would think that that alone offers a lot more ability to enforce complaints against particular users. How ISI chooses to use that power is probably what Tim was alluding to. I'm guessing it's a relatively trivial thing to setup a database that has user names and associations to servers that user is banned from.

10. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

what i noticed on the GT5 servers is, the higher the restrictions on the server are, the better racers will go there...i raced on a server two days ago which was restricted to caterhams with no assistance systems allowed, not even ABS. That resulted in clean racing. I guess all those idiotic kids go to servers, where they can have super fast cars with super sticky tires and all assistence they can get...
    but best thing would really be a banning system! although you really should be able to defend yourself. i was kicked from a server once because my brake-padel modification got stuck and i rammed the host from behind...he kicked me instantly

11. J.V

J.V Registered

I'm sure that A.I- drivers in rF2 have more intelligence than real people that race online in public servers. Just join a league if you want good online racing with rF2.

12. Tripp

Tripp Registered

A online point/rank system should be great contact spin cut track shall get - points/rank.
    Overtake places leading lap win races shall get + points/ranks.

This system use read xml files or what we use in rfactor 2 ?

A admin can not do this manually it must be a aoutomatic system.
    Also i hope we can set servers to allow some kind of rank system to allow low rank drivers or high rank ONLY.

and that the system only can do ranking online not offline.

13. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i don't like that idea of gaining points at all! what about the ocassional online racer? he might be quite good, but is not allowed to have fun because he hasn't gained all those points.
    what about some kind of qualifying laps? you have to do some laps with some specific car and you will get access to different servers depending on your laptime.

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

No need for any ranking system. The ranking system would annnoy more people than it would keep happy. Join a league and you will find the best sim racing out there. I'm not even going to start explaining why league racing is so much better. This has been said here many times by more than just me.

15. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

Depends on which series (license level) and class you're in I suppose. I usually race in Skip or TDI class 1, and the races are pretty clean. I've only been crashed into a couple of times in 50 races. I don't know what the oval racing is like though. I also haven't done all that many open races since private servers were implemented. ;)

That's exactly right. In a league you get to know the others pretty well in forums, so you really don't want to ruin their races. You can connect the person to the car. You also get to know their driving styles and who you can race hard and who should be careful around. iRacing tries to force people to be clean, but it can only do so much. Compared to the few times I've done open racing in rF1 though, I'd say it works very well overall.

Undoubtedly league racing is the best and cleanest races that you can find, but the time commitment can be an issue for some. If at all possible I would recommend everyone join a league that suits them, but if not possible, just be prepared for frequent sloppy and aggressive driving in open servers.

16. doug484

doug484 Registered

I raced only oval in the A and B series. In general (there are always exceptions), most oval races at iRacing aren't what I'd call racing - more like "Follow-the-pacecar" because there would be one or two green flag laps before the next caution. The trick to oval racing at iRacing was to make it through the attrition in the first half of the race. By the last 50-100 laps there would only be 5-10 cars left but then there would be some racing. And those races where the flags were turned off were just plain idiotic - quarterwits constantly trying to do the Days of Thunder move.

I think road racing is a real kick. Whenever I tried it on iRacing I felt like I was in the way. I could finish a race without going off track or touching another car, but I'd be a couple laps down.

It doesn't sound like ISI wants to create a protest system (the one at iRacing turned out to be ineffective, anyway, and a helluva lot of work for the humans), and having an arbitrary ban controlled by a server isn't fair if a driver makes a mistake.

I like the idea of having a driver ranking system, but don't screw it up like iRacing did with that "Fast Track" nonsense where drivers could zip through all the levels without gaining any real experience.

17. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse Registered

N2K3 had an 'incidents per lap' rating that servers could use to restrict people below a certain value, perhaps something like that could be used in rF2.

18. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Aside from using some type of iracing penalty system, I've always felt the only way to make a "pick up and go" server is to actually try and create a community for like-minded racers and have several admins moderating the server. There are hundreds of full on league server/forums, but not many passworded servers that are designed to be pick up and go, with moderators, a forum you need to join and so on.

It's an idea, but it has to come from the racers to work.

19. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

Just join R2P and you can have have both serious league type racing, or a more relaxed style with rF2 . Every race is watched by stewards.

20. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I shall probably look at joining some kind of league for RF2......people say they don't like AI but I would rather race a pack of cars that can keep a racing line than a bunch of humans who all hit the gravel trap first corner.....how realistic is that?? guess leagues are the only answer really.