So...how good will the multiplayer in rF2 be? Pick up races? iracing quality?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by isamu, Oct 6, 2011.

1. isamu

isamu Registered

I'm trying to figure out if I should look forward to rFactor 2's online mode. I normally do not like leagues(sorry guys) because my game time is sporadic and I can't commit to a certain schedule, so I'd prefer a more "arrive and drive" multiplayer environment.

I know I know...."If that's what you want, then iRacing is for you, champ!" But iRacing is NOT for me, and there are several things about the service I don't like, so I rarely play it. What I *DO* like however, is the pick up race feature and the fact that I can hop into a random room and race with mostly clean drivers.

I would love something like this for rFactor 2. An environment that offers online multiplayer with strict penalties for those who wreck other drivers or drive backwards. Perhaps an online multiplayer ban for a few days or something along those lines. Would also love a way to automatically download whatever mod the sever is running, and a few minutes later I'm good to go.

Can anyone offer any information on whether we might see these features in rFactor 2? I surely hope so, because if not I guess I'll just have to look forward to whatever it has to offer offline :(:(:(

How good or bad do you think online will be in rF2?

2. theother5

theother5 Registered

isamu,

We would all love rF2 to be some of what you hope for.
    Tim Wheatley is the only one presently who will be able to provide definitive answers.

I would caution on getting high hope regarding 'indisciplines drivers and idiot wreckers'. Public servers are not going to change and whilst I don't know anything for sure, my impression is that there rF2 will not have a a solution wrapped into it's code for this problem.

I'm in a similar position to you in the main. I've played in some leagues in the past but my schedule make commitment difficult.

3. Bty

Bty Registered

Very hard to implement properly on public servers.

But we can wish, can't we?

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think Theother5's assumptions are right, whilst we do want/need/demand/wish for such systems and it has been discussed allot on these forums its likely the rf2 will be more towards the current rf1 open-nature.
    Simply because its a very complex issue and if they get it wrong it could easily ruin the game experience even more.

Although i do expect more from rf2 in terms of server penalties, corner cutting, better usage of flags, that kinda stuff so pickup racing could become abit better. for sure ISI is aware of the issues and its likely they found some ways to finetune it.

Imo your best bet is to find a league....hold on......and become a regular on their server. without becomming a member.

For example we only close our server for the public one day a week and the rest its open to the public. 2 days are club days with allot of drivers and races and through the years we have had many regulars joining us in the fun without actualy becomming a member. (although most end up as a member anyways lol)
    its good recruiting that way so i emagin more leagues use a simulair approach.

Find league servers, become a regular visitor. thats the best way to go in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
  5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

rF2 will not be iRacing. If you like iracing then go there. GOD some of you have thick skulls. Any freaking sim racer knows the best online sim racing is in a league. If you don't know that then you don't know **** about sim racing....period!!

If the OP did a search he would find the answer to his own question. No ranking system and no SR system at rF2.

To click on a server and automatically download whatever mod that server is running is the dumbest idea of the week.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
  6. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

You should be at Race2Play. It's not pickup racing (which to me is a waste of time anywhere), but it has a huge selection of car/track combinations, enough races to fit just about any schedule, live stewards for each race, and the track/cars for each race are available with a click of a mouse (no searching). You can race as a guest for free if you want.

7. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Thanks CdnRacer for your classic "CdnRacer style" comment :eek: LOL!

8. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

For once i agree with you lol

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, for a few days he's been realy nice, i actualy thought he cleaned up his act abit bit nooooo, someone mentions the i-word and he go's mental again

[​IMG]

10. J.V

J.V Registered

I don't see any reason why RF2 online would be different than RF1. You have to join a league if you want good and clean racing with RF2.

11. Jeremy_D

Jeremy_D Registered

The pick up racing at iracing works perfect for me and many others. I wish you knew half of what you think you do. You really need a life outside of sim racing...period!!

12. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Registered

race2play.com

you can race anytime you want (not any combo you want btw).

there are rules and the racing is good.

13. isamu

isamu Registered

Good replies and thanks guys. I guess we'll see what happens.

[​IMG]

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

In terms of bad driving? There's been some changes in terms of accountability, but I can't yet say exactly what.

We won't be organizing a huge league like iRacing do though. No plans for it. Open racing will, unfortunately, always be possible to be really bad, you see this on the self hosted races at iRacing, too. I personally enjoy the AI and the league racing concept, but I can understand the need for good pickups. But unfortunately, pickups by their very nature (and no matter what accountability you have) always leaves a door open to bad driving.

15. isamu

isamu Registered

Thanks for the reply Tim it's appreciated. I have to say, that public pick up races isn't bad ALL the time, and surprisingly I've been having some good fair races in F1 2011 public lobbies. So I think there's a decent chance that the ratio of public lobbies in rF2 contained with good and clean drivers is more than 50:50. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

By the way Tim, I enjoy playing single player campaigns in racing games. Will rF2 contain an offline single player Career campaign along the lines of GT5/Shift, where you start off in a slow crappy car, and work your way up by earning money from races?

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF1 had that :) Sort of :) (not many mods implemented it either)

17. 10speed

10speed Registered

More important for those who would like to skip this and race online only (like me) there should be a mode where you don't have to care about money and experience for buying cars and upgrades. It's just annoying if you have to use the ISI Babyfact... cheat or edit the cch-files everytime you install a new mod.

Hopefully each driver can be identified by the server and gets a unique id. In rfactor that's not possible and therefore the ban feature does not work effectively.

18. Bty

Bty Registered

Unless you have a central authentication server, it won't work. People will just find where the value is stored on their PC and change it.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There's not much of a career mode implemented at the moment, but there would be nothing stopping you from simulating that yourself, either. I used to do that with F1GP as a kid... Although I could still always win at Monaco even in a poor team... lol The AI percentage always seemed a bit out of it compared to the other tracks there and while I could win at Monaco, I'd finish at the back everywhere else with the percentage I ran... THAT was annoying...

20. isamu

isamu Registered

Ahh I see. Thanks for the answer Tim. So with that being said, will there be at least some type of monetary/currency system like there was in the first rFactor?