rFactor 2 WIP HDR comparison screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 23, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The same could be said about your brightness setting on your display. Most times when it's as dark as you're seeing in these screens, you'd be driving cars with headlights, because it's nearly night time. ;)

2. Grubby

Grubby Registered

100% agree, the server should be able to lock this setting so everyone is equal, as we do with the driving view.

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

That..

Locking HDR or other brightness and contrast settings because of an unfair advantage makes no sense. Those things are adjustable in the physical display properties and in video card settings universally.

Also: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/kpowd/modern_hdr_works_wonders/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  4. Radar

Radar Registered

Yes very true guys but this is something that has some control via say the server settings.

If someone wants to turn the brightness up on their screen and have a more white /grey looking like crap just to see through the shadows then fine, let those do that but I seriously doubt you will have as many people choosing this option to change their brightness levels just for the sake of one game and seeing more than the rest of us.

The game settings is one thing, but hardware settings is not an argument to be had. We all know that people change their wheels, pedals etc just to get that extra advantage and that can't be stopped, but to put in a feature where someone doesn't have to change their hardware, where I would say at a guess many people will choose to use the lowest settings just to see more over changing their preferred brightness for the sake of one game is a silly argument.

It's a server function / setting to add into the game, it's not forcing you as a community to use it but for those who will want to see a more level playing field could use this sort of a feature to it's full advantage eliminating any Charlie Sheen moments.

Not a big ask I say. We do it with Forced Cockpit views to make people more level over those who want to race Mr Bean style or on the hood just to add that extra advantage to themselves.

We have people agreeing with the personal adjustment but we also have people agreeing to the server setting option also.. Giving people the choice according to server settings is 'Winner'

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Perhaps you misunderstand? Wheels and pedals ARE hardware... It's actually easier (for me at least) to alter my brightness than it is to modify any wheel setting. Maybe everyone should be forced to use the same wheel, too? Because that makes more of a difference than this does to the actual driving...

You're actually asking for it NOT to be made a level playing field. What if my monitor is set darker than yours, and I use a lighter balance in the sim? If you FORCE me to use your settings, I'm seeing a darker sim than you are! What if your gamma settings are different? What if your video card is different?

6. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

7. guod

guod Registered

Speaking of monitor calibration....
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Terrific looking screens guys. Love that shot of the classic GP car pit the best.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yeah if you want a level playing field just go buy everyone identical computers, wheels, pedal, headphones and monitors. Make sure everyone has the same internet speed with identical latency and also don't forget the surgery to make sure nobody has longer arms and legs then someone else in-case a disadvantage to turning the wheel quickly or depressing a clutch is discovered.

I say give every option to everyone.. If someone wants it to look like rF1, so be it. If People want F1-2010 stupid.. Let them.. But I personally want a middle ground where shiny isn't stupid and the HDR is toned down. AND I WANT THOSE ALL ASSIGNED TO ANALOG INPUTS TO ADJUST ON THE FLY... You heard me. Also bind-able volume controls!

9. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

10. Taranta

Taranta Registered

11. frankwer

frankwer Registered

HDR postprocessing ****s up the Renault cockpit, seems like the colors within a color range transforms into 1 color so you get the more cartoonish look. The outside environment looks ok, but not the inside of the cockpit. Would it be possible to not postprocess the cockpit view and just postprocess the "outside view"

12. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

especially the cockpit view looks great...

13. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

talking about this photo http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/rFactor_2_HDR_20.jpg
    if you look at the left arm, the reflection is too max payne style if you know what I mean http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/232/maxpayne2thefallofmaxpary4.jpg/

this is how it should be:
    [​IMG]

I know, rF2 it's still wip so I hope they'll get that reflections on the hands and arms.

PS don't fooled by that photo GT5 on ps3 hardware is not able to process shadows at that quality, PD used that photo for marketing, I used to better explain my point on the arms reflection/shadows.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  14. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

yea you're right, but could be that the reflections depends on the fact, that this is a sunset screen ;)

15. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

I Agree, the arms need some work, but its getting there, and i like the ability to adjust the level of HDR.

I also noticed that the rear view mirror looks a bit dark and dull, when the sun is in front of you the background should be "lighter", almost like the non-HDR image.

16. shum94

shum94 Registered

So Tim i still see aliasing in the cockpit estoril screen. When are we gona see some serious screens with full aa and no placeholders and mirrors with decent resolution. 1 month ? 2 months ?

17. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Good to know there is progress.
    On this screenshot http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/rFactor_2_HDR_23.jpg it looks like heat haze effect distorting tires and rims. If that car is standing, thats ok and very cool. But if car is moving there should be no heat haze from its brakes, because air don`t stream up from brakes when the car is in motion.

18. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Exactly, looking the photo again seems the car is not moving (I'm not 100% sure).

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

I think until we see a motion video of the incar we cant judge the shadows etc. It may make more sense why it looks like that in a video v's screenshot

Also, it IS still a WIP.

And, as stated, these are to show vividly the extremes HDR can do.

20. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Parabolica at Estoril, and i will be there tomorrow to see le mans series :p...

By the way, shots are very good but personally i'd prefered the one tath show more day light than sunset.

Nice work ISI. I would like to see a video with new HDR effect please