Some new WIP Tire Vids

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 30, 2011.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Speaking of modding, I don't think that ISI should make their sims as modder friendly as what they're implying. Otherwise, you'll get 5 or 6 versions of a single vehicle or track, such as what we got with NASCAR in rFactor 1. ISI should have, or hire, a dedicated team to work with real racing teams to make a centralized version of a vehicle or track and leave the modders to do fictional tracks and vehicles, using a certificate system to ensure that a track or vehicle is as realistic as possible. I know it won't be very popular with the modding community, but I think it's the best way to go to ensure that only the best quality content gets into the simulator.

EDIT:
    By the way, the wire-frame idea is funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I'm a bit afraid that many tracks will be simple conversions from rF1 without all the new stuff like RealRoad, dynamic weather, animated marshals etc.
    I hope ISI is working on methods to make it 'relatively easy' for modders to add these new elements to their mods, and not make it only understandable for the best modders (let's say only 10%).

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

My biggest hope (other than the wishlist being watched) is for more realistic dirt/offroad physics. I imagine if going onto grass is improved then rally tracks or baja style tracks should be improved as well. Not much in the way of rally or dirt tracks and cars has made its way into the WIP section.

Taking BMW-M1 touring cars to the completely dirt African Raid course should be much more difficult!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Actually. If the tire model is correct.. and the physics are correct. This should be entirely possible..

[​IMG]

Any word on that?

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There's some more control and some easier ways to notify people of updates with rF2. :)

6. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Since we're already on the topic of tires, can you give me an explanation of how the tire heat is distributed between tires?

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Sounds ridiculous at first, but when you think of it wireframes are sometimes much more informative :)
    Especially with stuff like tyre deformation, but on the other hand YouTube's codecs would go to war with wireframe I suppose :)

Thanks for the update.

+1 for the Chipmunk ;)

Doh! I need to release my shader pack quickly now :D

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's entirely up to community. My personal attempt, is to do general platform testing on default rF 2 content and slowly rework mods and tracks for the new platform and use them, when they will be ready for that. No rush.

9. shum94

shum94 Registered

It's nice of you to answer questions and remarks on your vacation time.

First i didnt know replay wasnt in the latest built of rF2. I found curious that rF2 will be out before 2012 and yet in august replay isnt in yet.

Anyway replay aint in yet but a good screenshot can be taken with AA. Unless you consider a waste of time bothering to change your rF2 settings for it (takes 1mn...)

So you drive and record at the same time and AA is off for smooth framerate. Now i'm curious what's your PC spec ?

Or you dont have a good pc or rF 2 on full graphics cost a lot on a beta stage. Thats a good news if it's that, if not want my ATI 5870 ?

10. O11

O11 Registered

AA really, really REALLY turns you on doesn't it?

11. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

I like those vids and I'm really looking forward to experience that myself, but there's one thing, that's really bad there. Idon't know by what car this model has been inspired, because the first thing you see on the A-arms is rod ends in bendig, what is the first thing you learn you have to avoid, when buliding a suspension. And that sharp Bend in the upper a-arms. Just imagine how the force has to go through this and you know this works only by making it much to strong and to heavy!

But as this is a desing, that you can see very often I won't blame you for this;)

12. shum94

shum94 Registered

Really really

13. 88mphTim

Do you mean the curve caused by the WIP camera? Can you post a screenshot and circle? As I said the replay system isn't up, well the cameras were also not final either, and their FOV/distortion could be a part... Unless I missed something. :)

14. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Then might I make a suggestion if you really REALLY want to see AA, reopen the pictures or videos and squint your eyes some.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, AA is done by GPU, not by game engine, so I find it pointless to show in WIP material. It would only serve to show us how Tim's or somebody else's GPU handles AA, that's all.

An AA will not suddenly make these WIP material look like GT5 or Forza3. If the screen isn't showcasing final materials, lighting, shadows, postprocessing etc., then using AA on it makes no sense since it will not show how game looks anyway.
    In the end, these movies and screens aren't about showing us how it will look, but just showing us what will be there.

Besides, all it takes is some imagination to know how it would look with AA.

16. Cris_Ace

Cris_Ace Registered

Nice videos,thanks for posting Tim and I really hope to see these interesting features in the full game;
    I know this is still a WIP but I've noticed in video 2 that mirror's image is flipped up-down...maybe is this a bug report LOL?

17. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Have a look at my attachment. I highlited what I meant. To understand please have a look at this little Text on this topic.

http://www.formulastudent.de/academy/pats-corner/advice-details/article/pats-column-rod-ends-in-bending/

In the Formula Student the judges have been fighting against rod ends in bendig for some years now with huge success. At this years competition in Hockenheim I've only seen one car of 108 competitors with such a suspension design. (OK i have'nt seen all of them but a lot)

But as I said, that is an mistake lot of people do when designing their suspension, so I don't blame your modelers for searching for inspiration at the wrong car, because I guess they have never built a real formula race car themselves.

Greetings

18. 88mphTim

Well that specific suspension is based on a real car and it's real suspension. As you said yourself, you've seen it, however rare it is. ;)

That car actually is really low downforce (I often find myself drifting around turns, etc), there isn't going to be the enormous loads you might see in more advanced cars. It's found more on older race cars which didn't have the performance you see these days, this car also doesn't have the performance you see on most modern cars. :)

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Maybe a model for metal's fatigue as well? Be nice on kerbs otherwise you'll lose your suspension.

LOL

Nice finding, but I don't think it's a big issue. That formula is a very primitive one only for instructional purposes after all.
    --------------
    Regardless, about AntiAlias I'm not very concerned, however it would be good to see some videos using after-effects even in a half-way quality. We are in August-2011 and the actual in-game rF2 looking is still shadowy.

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Speaking on the topic of debris thrown on the track...

Also they reveal some awesome track scanning techniques...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM45PyjViN8&feature=feedu&hd=1#at=16m18s

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011