Some new WIP Tire Vids

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 30, 2011.

1. sg333

sg333 Registered

Until then you can ask questions and i'll ignore them for you ;)

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hahaha. Nice find. That does look nice.

3. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Hehe, cool! :D On the subject of animated items, there are some flapping flags between 1:00 and 1:08 which look quite good too.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Quick replies...

As was stated before, we're driving while recording. This causes a little too much choppiness to drive on the limit and frankly showing you 90% (all that would be possible) doesn't show you anything you don't see at the speed in the videos as they are. Once the replay is enabled you'll see some more on-the-limit driving.

I fail to see how jumping this car would give you any kind of representative demonstration on the tire model.

Does this mean you'd be fine with 2012? Because we wouldn't...

Then the only other strategy available would be for you to get no media whatsoever until the release candidate.

And yes, I will blame YouTube a little. Did you download the original video files and check out the differences? They're pretty huge, YouTube is not 1:1. And one of those videos uploaded is in YouTube's recommended specifications. :)

Again, this is a dev update. If you want marketing videos, I suggest waiting until they are available.

I'm absolutely sure they aren't. And infact I remember reading people saying the same thing at iRacing about people from rFactor... We're perfectly happy for other software to exist, I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't be. If a piece of software isn't for you, then it isn't for you, just find something which is or wait until there is one...

Flatspotted my tire (just one tire) in my old 1994 car before while braking when a truck pulled out infront of me. This was probably more than 60ft with the one tire locked. It went down to the cords on one side of the tire and I was turning while braking.

On the way home I had to drive on it, my steering wheel vibrated to the point where my arms lost feeling. But interestingly it did alter depending on speed and over a certain speed I couldn't even feel it. I eventually got new tires (and a new car). ;)

Extraordinarily hard on the video capture at this point. We're already driving while recording and it's hard to drive as-is. Replay being activated will help, but that feature is WIP.

It's already possible to see a bit of choppiness on the videos, that is why we drive slow, too. We're not marketing at the moment, if you're not interested in dev updates it's pretty easy for you not to watch them. Just wait for an actual marketing edit.

I think I have killed all of you one by one in horrible accidents, especially at the older tracks where I've piled into the haybales and they've gone flying. I remember those poor faces every time I close my eyes....

I was thinking of a wireframe, just to be annoying. ;)

Thanks G.

Lots did. Can't give a percent, no it isn't. Just about. Livetrack? Are you asking if livetrack is done? Just about. Tweaks needed on lots of things.

5. 88mphTim

They have done a great job on the anims. I did read one comment about the plane being stuck in the sky, which I found pretty funny... Maybe it is stuck and it's just the sky I can see moving. :)

Sometime next week. But my full-time job is elsewhere right now, I post in the forums on my own time, including today on vacation. When we're actually actively marketing the product I'll be around a lot more and more active in this.

Then how long do you think modders would be unable to do something? This is one of he primary reasons why the rF series ships with content, ISI has to encounter as many of the modders stumbling blocks and solve them as possible PRIOR to release. Not doing it this way would be a total, total mess. Honestly I can't even believe that is suggested as a real option. :)

Not really. The time of day doesn't really make any difference to the way the tire model moves. It can certainly make a difference to the handling, but we're not on the limit in the videos either. Perhaps waiting for some future videos would be better suited to your needs.

Dev tool I think, we'll see.

Those track marshalls are after the stopped car. Traditionally this is where you actually WOULD wave the green... The yellow will be behind the stopped car, to notify cars approaching it....

Flatspotting does have a much lesser effect in road tires, correct. I chose to do these tires for this though because you can't feel anything in a video, you can definitely see the wear really good on the tread, and at the time it was the only car I could use to do it. :)

That's certainly one way to look at it, and that means there's certainly some truth. We're not showing you things which aren't what the video/screen is about. We consider this a total dev update rather than a selling tool.

It is there, but not something you can really see in the video. It's more felt.

As I said above I've actually flatspotted a road tire. But it really quickly became less noticable as the flat edges became rounded. The only thing you could see reacting on my old road car was the steering wheel, the car wasn't rocking or anything.

Thanks. :)

LOL, it's pretty funny that is still there. I edited the Quick Start Guide there.

I don't think I have ever felt the skidmarks or smoke on rF2 were OTT... I'm wondering if what you're noticing was due to the 100x factor...

While we are a much smaller studio, of course, you may wish to wait until there's either marketing videos, marketing screenshots or a dev update similar to this one where the subject is graphics. Hoping you'll not be so disappointed at that time...

You'll be driving by then.

6. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Thanks Tim!

7. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well driving perfectly and cautiously on a driving line is a far worse way to display it.

Not advertising for iRacing, Just showing how this sort of style can let you see the grip/response of the rubber on the road better then just normal driving. Especially tire or sidewall flex, suspension movement and collision boxes. Even iRacing has its limits when you watch it in slow motion.

Maybe ISI should throw stabiz some bucks to make rF2 previews. Or find someone better.

8. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Nice

Hello

Was asked
    Tim answered
    Oh man I hope sooooooooooooooo
    You would not screw with a old man would you :D

So will we be driving racing before Thanks giving :D
    Hey I had to ask can you blame me hehehehehe

Ruben M.:cool:

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I found the tyre deformation very easy to see as he drove across kerbs. Did you miss it? Can't see how cars flying through the air or hitting each other / walls will help demonstrate what the tyres are doing. Especially if their collision modelling is still a work-in-progress - that would just lead to the inevitable criticisms of the collision model in a video meant to show tyre modelling.

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

More of the way the car acts as it lands slightly sideways, wheels locked etc.. As the rubber begins to grab you can see the car stop, spin, bounce etc etc. It will obviously roll and grip and slip and bounce. How it looks doing that is all we can judge by.

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I actually think that's a fantastic idea!

12. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

13. 88mphTim

So you're wanting a produced video, showing what is comparable to a released product, in a developer WIP preview of a specific feature on an unreleased product, and you want it to use a specific piece of content not available at the time in a manner which showcases a type of racing radically different from most of the cases where the tire model be used? I'm not sure about that...

I stated that the video had to be recorded in this manner, of this feature, with this content. Not possible to do any other vehicle, not possible to get high fidelity replays and still - although it may be superb to show some jumping etc, that content is neither available to do it at this time, nor tweaked to do so. Again, I still don't see the validity of showing anything other than circuit racing for a simple preview such as this... Again, it's a dev preview of a feature. This isn't going to be a TV spot.

Anybody else who has to press the 'record' button is going to record exactly the same thing at the moment. And frankly if they're going to spend their time editing it at this stage or doing anything except showing basic footage like this, they're wasting valuable time better spend when the software is closer to initial release.

14. 88mphTim

...and that'll most certainly be my last response on that.

15. simfan

simfan Registered

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Sorry Tim, I hope you didn't think I meant anything negative with the post. Re-reading my post the end sounds like I said they should get someone better to post the previews. That was not my intention. What I should have said is when finished, ISI should hire someone with editing skills to make videos of rF2 like Stabiz is now doing for iRacing. I usually try to keep threads from getting confused and high stress and I am sorry if I did that here.

17. sg333

sg333 Registered

I didnt mean let modders finish the game itself, i meant just release as 'lite' a product and then let modders do what they do. Would this not lead to a quicker release or are the 'delays' not related to content? I'm sure you follow virtualr and whatnot and know there are already mod teams that have almost finished content ready to pump into RF2.

18. 88mphTim

Currently rF2 is in closed testing with select individuals from the community, but here's a quote from Gjon Camaj's Twitter from a looong time ago. Gjon doesn't often change his mind and as he said it, I can certainly remind you about it. :)

http://twitter.com/#!/GjonCamaj/status/1281427365

Oh, absolutely. When rF2 is marketable we'll be doing everything we can. I did read it to be that you meant this stage of dev should be marketed, but no harm done, huh? :)

19. 88mphTim

Definitely not all of them. But the Q&A did give some idea about which will... And that wallpaper didn't actually show all of them, there is content you guys don't know about yet which has actually been more fun for me to drive personally than anything else in 10 years.

20. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Can you answer that question, please?