Some new WIP Tire Vids

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It was over exaggerated visually (probably), to show the effect (tyre usage was 100 times faster than normal). I said "road tyre" because I clearly see on the video, that this is a road tyre. I don't need any inside about that.
    You won't do such a huge flat spot (like you see on this year's super soft Pirelli tyres in F1) on a road tyre with just one or two short lockups.
    Of course I assume that the physics are for road tyre. 3D model is for road tyre but only the textures are not yet ready for that kind of tyre physics.

2. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Tim, what is with dirty tyres?

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

So conservative with the driving in these demos. Just drive strait over curbs and across the grass and off jumps if you wish to show off the tire deformation.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Thread title: "Some new WIP Tire Vids". Something to bear in mind perhaps? It doesn't represent final graphic quality, or final sound quality, and comparing a WIP tyre video to pretty views of a third-party track is just silly.

However, mclaren777, I think you're right to lower your expectations if you were hoping for the best looking game ever. It's not a realistic goal for a relatively small team, especially one that concentrates more on physics etc than looks.

Shum, go find a rFactor(1) video that has marshalls waving flags, shows tyre deformation or flatspotting, or has realtime body reflections. You can't, because there aren't any. And that's irrelevant to you because you're not talking about those things - but this thread is! Stop looking for things that aren't being shown and complaining when they aren't there!

So, let me just add... I think it's disappointing rF2 obviously has no pitbabes. They're missing from rF1 and judging by the media released they still aren't in rF2. Terrible.

5. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

We've had this discussion before. Yes everybody knows it's a WIP and most people respect that, but what's also ridiculous is people like you who want everybody to sit in a reserved silence about our favourite sim. :p

6. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

This looks exceptionally good for being work in progress! Well done!

7. Mee

Mee Registered

I clearly see the tire vibrating after it was flatspotted...

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Nice stuff! :)

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, fair enough, can't argue we all get excited about this sort of thing ;)

I guess I just can't see any reason to discuss things that aren't what we might hope, when the stuff in these vids might totally misrepresent anything except what it's supposed to illustrate. In this case the focus is the tyre modeling, so why discuss the sound engine? If it hasn't progressed from rF1 when rF2 is released, ok, but at this point it's debating whether the piece of string has been given the right length...

There is some extra suspension movement at that point compared to previously, but it's also on a different part of the track. A full lap isn't completed so it's difficult to make a direct comparison. And towards the end of the video there doesn't appear to be any extra movement - but, with 100x tyre wear, maybe it's evened out? ;)

As for texture vs shape deformation (for flatspots) mentioned earlier, I don't know if a lockup would produce enough tread loss to actually be apparent on a tyre occupying several hundred pixels. Maybe at 100x, but not on a normal timescale, so if they just did it with textures it would probably be good enough for 'usual' purposes.

And I do agree with the suggestion that some smoke coming directly from the freshly-heated-up patch on the tyre would be great after a severe lockup, but that's obviously an eye-candy feature - very cool, but not really a requirement... yet :p

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I can't see anything really stunning at the video linked in your post, the track looks well polished but nothing else, I'd say there're a lot of textures and reflections so unreal to be quite honest. Indeed, rF2 videos are not what I was expecting in sense of graphics, but it's way more realistic than the video you're showing by the link. Anyway... at least we can see what I wonder to be new shaders (few of them, but still..) and much more shadows and reflections. I understood your point, but there's no comparison between new rF2 videos and that one which you pointed.

- x - x - x -

About tire physics I'm aware the effects on tires are exaggerate in termos of wearing for showing purposes, but there're serious **** on those, I dare to say since Microprose GP4 we aren't able to see tires being destroyed by overusing. Thanks you ISI guys for your efforts on it, it's a feature which increases tons of realism on the dynamic of racing. I'm glad for it but I'd be more if the sim be realeased before 2013!

11. shum94

shum94 Registered

I'm just sick to see posts about new updates coming then we get something barely decent. Everything beside the new features showed, quiet nice but i wait to see a flat tire to say if ISI succesfully succeeded in this department.

What we get and re get are medias with anti aliasing not activated, video with bad codec/compression and dont blame youtube because the youtube video i linked isnt like that.
    They hired someone for the PR department and we still get few medias and still bad medias.

Yea yea it's wip, yea yea the subject is marshalls for the latest screen, or tires degradation for these 2 videos, so it doesnt deserve 1080p resolution ? and anti aliasing ? wtf.

It's like they know they below average graphics, and they show theirs unfinished with aliasing so we will be nicely surprised when it will be released ? Bad Strategy. We're few intrested in simracing, and the best advertising should be done to get people attention.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

for someone who does'nt like any of the WIP material why do you bother yourself to watch new videos and look at new screens so often? oh I know its because you're a fan and cant wait for RF2....right?

I know its been done to death Shum but really try to understand that your posts cant sometimes be very tedious, if you dont like the WIP then dont watch it and dont bother ranting on about it, its not gonna get ISI to dramatically change everything as a far majority in this thread understand its a WIP and are just looking forward to the sim itself and are happy with videos & screenshots.

P.S. no I dont know why I bothered to reply to you, bored I guess ;)

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

We raced together maybe that's why.

14. Uff

Uff Registered

And I think many people is sick of reading your comments and your attitude. If you don't like WIPs, if you don't like watching previews of an unfinished game, then don't come here and let people who is interested in them talk about it.
    Once the simulator will be released you'll see the final result and you will decide if it's worth the money or not.
    You're sounding like a broken record, repeating again and again the same old story. If you are not able to take a WIP video for what it is that's your problem, let the others (who understand what a WIP video about tire physic is) discuss.

15. Malik

Malik Registered

+1 sometimes i wonder if some of the people on here complaining and pointing out flaws arent iRacing plants

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

back on topic:

having watched the Tire Load video again, I'm wondering whether theres a squishing of tires when contact is made with a wall/car etc?

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Been there done that on several sets of tires (road tires) and they vibrate like they're out of balance for the rest of their life. You can't lock up tires on most cars these days anyways with ABS and all. You have to find a way to disable ABS if you really want to lock them up.

18. shum94

shum94 Registered

Uff it seems you did not read my post (how can you be sick ot it then).

Again wip doesnt exclude anti aliasing to be activated.

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

We often see the Schum94's bad mood, however I don't think his complaints are more boring than the complaints about his complaints. He likes AA on videos, let the man talk! He's meticulous guy and it's his right to expose his thoughts. No point to say "better you don't watch videos", WIP videos are public and we're not living neither in Iran or Cuba, we all like of free opinion.

By the way, beyond AntiAlias, I'd love to see a sample of post-effects superimposed to those videos / screen-shots. Any chances of it?

20. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    Well I think this is awesome
    It all looks great the tire models are awesome
    The track looks great the car from what we can see of it and the reflections are great too.

It looks very drivable to me and the immersion looks to be top rate from what I have seen and tried from other makers.

Great work ISI

Ruben M.