Some new WIP Tire Vids

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 30, 2011.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Oh by the way, sorry the codecs/settings aren't the same on the downloadable versions of the videos. I'm a dufus. :) They'll both play fine with VLC on both PC and Mac for me, VLC is free. :)

3. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Thanks Tim!!! :)

4. Senna94

Senna94 Registered

great preview

5. Aaron Carlisle

Aaron Carlisle Registered

Hell ya, Tim... Thanks for the new videos! The tire deformation is going to look badass for us off-road guys. :)

P.S. If you need any help w/ video rendering, let me know. I have some pretty mint render settings I've tweaked in Vegas over time. Here's an example video: http://vimeo.com/26717156

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah. Finally something we are waiting for.
    Suspension movement visualisation is 1st class. Tyre wear: partial, flat spot - looks like no other sim has such feature. Also tyre deformation looks great (but I'm not sure will it be possible on replays with remote cars).
    Also demo of env mapping. Looks cool.

Thank you Tim.

7. simfan

simfan Registered

Awesome videos!! I am very impressed.

8. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thank you for videos :)

By the way - remember to fix normal vectors on that mirror :D

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Nice :) Great videos! Thanks Tim!

Just out of curiosity, will the "roundness" of tyre deformation be dependant on tyre 3d model? I mean, if having much more detailed tyre model also means, that its visual deformation also will be less edgy?

EDIT:
    It's definatelly worth to have downloadable versions of the videos, because of highest bitrate (YouTube versions have very visible compression, even at highest quality/resolution setting).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  10. knightyc

knightyc Registered

awesome work cant wait want it now lol...

11. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Nice videos. Impressive environment reflections. Although, the mirror looked a bit unrealistic being up-side-down. Can we see them react to other vehicles on the track?

Impressive suspension movements. Is the visual tire wear just a texture or does the visual model actually become flat in the flat-spotted area?

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I tried to figure that out from the vid and it looks like it's "just" a texture and not a physical deformation (which in the end is not so bad. We can live with that ;-) ).

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Looks friggin awesome!!!!!

BTW Tim I resubbed at iR just to have a look see at what 2.0 is all about and looking at the quick start guide this is what I see....lol.

14. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Awesome!!!

Just one suggestion, maybe before release, you can tone down the black skid marks made by locking up?

One of the most visually annoying things in rFactor was that when you locked up, it left a huge bold black tyre mark, but in real life it usually leaves a very faint, "blended in to the surface" kind of mark. If you get what I mean lol?

And also, all the tyre smoke when locking up was a bit too much in rFactor too, if that could be adjusted!

Other than that I am so happy to see some new videos, thanks a lot!

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

While rFactor 2 looks pretty good, I think I've officially given up on it looking as good as DiRT/SHIFT.

ISI simply doesn't have enough staff to visually compete with the larger studios and I'll just have to accept that and move on with my life.

16. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

While everybody talks about what's being shown, here's what I noticed about the sound.
    I don't know what stage the WIP is at on this but I made the following observations anyway:

1: Reverb from environment/walls - working well but needs tweaking (sounds like very small room, I know longer/larger echos kill memory, but it sounds too much like a bad pre-set at the moment) Reverb needs to effect tyre skids too and roadnoise that is missing. I'm glad it's in btw!

2: No road-noise on this WIP. But if the sounds were being emitted from the tyres, I think road-noise would be quite loud from where the camera is. Let's hear the tyres sticking to the tarmac! Not forgetting changing tone over different patches of asphalt, lots of space for improvement here.

3: New skids sounds, no complaints on how it sounds, is generated well and realistically too.

4: New supercharger whine? That blends in at higher speeds, very nice.

5: No Transmission whine on this WIP. I didn't hear any lower gears at least, no warble or thumbing happening between the shifts or over bumps. Either it's not in yet or it's not on the rTrainer. :confused:

5: Nice deep realistic sound from rumble strips.

6: Nothing regarding engine noise generation has changed at all, same samples obviously as rFactor 1 but there's no drama, no extra nuance caused by the road surface.

Thanks for the update, and I had fun watching the videos in fullscreen even though the footage was stuttering. 21-23fps isn't the best way to demonstrate a high fidelity effect like deformation lol. :p

17. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

I like very much what I see on the videos and I thank you - I just hope that I could translate everything correctly on www.rfactor2.at to convey to the community as a good idea - thanks Tim

18. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Great videos, the first one is insteresting and visually great, the second, hard to see, but great to know you manage this in rF2, it's quite new feature, good !!

19. yifter

yifter Registered

I'm impressed! Let's hope rF2 is out before Christmas :)

20. shum94

shum94 Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykAL4EznULg

This is rF 1 video, it looks better than what i can see of rf2 in these videos, the compression is much better too.

Waiting 2 weeks for 2 videos of 1 minute on the same track with the same angle isnt what i expected. Aliasing is still showed on purpose (why oh why ?). One lonely car on the track too is disapointing too.

Still we're not seeing someone hotlapping with a wheel. Now on the subject, i like to see smoke just afterwards the flatspot on the flatspot.