Some new WIP images

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

ISI need to stop fooling around and just do it!
    [​IMG]

2. simfan

simfan Registered

Tim, what about ambient occlusion in initial relase? Any chance?

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You mean dynamic ambient occlusion? It's not a straightforward thing to do.

In most cases static ambient occlusion is enough. All you need is to put a lightmap on all your objects but then again - engine would have to support it (ambient texture in materials and shaders).
    If not, you can always use T0xT1 shader with diffuse texture in T0 and static lightmap in T1. Will not produce realistic results but in most cases it will be more less ok, so I guess it's better than nothing. You can do that in rF allready.

As for cars - you can do the same in cockpits and put undersadow texture under car for ambient occlusion.
    If you look at some car skin templates they have a layer called "shading" sometimes - that's actually an ambient occlusion layer put there by an artist.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The video is going to be a different one than I originally intended, but hopefully still sometime today/tonight.

IMHO I think the reflections help a lot with that in rF2.

Really it's fine. Doesn't bother me in the slightest and I hope it doesn't come across that way. Maybe I need to add more smileys... :) :)

There's certain things which are said about the WIP images that we find really eye opening, there's other things we 'ignore' because we always intended to fix whatever that person was talking about. It's worth posting these kind of WIP images not just to keep communication open but to learn.

With regards your last question though... IMHO probably not for me. I was saying to my wife last night that I haven't had as much fun running laps in probably 10 years. And while the graphics are always nice, it was the driving experience that made me happy. Whether that was the physics overall, or the physics of that specific car and track combo, is probably a question I wouldn't really be able to answer because the car and track are exactly what I love to drive. Makes me pretty excited about the software though, hopefully my enjoyment (and believe me, you can get bored of running the software you also work with) bodes well.

Human eyes do not see lens flare like that or that state of silhouette. However if you are asking for that in replay it's always possible we'll get there.

I could definitely see my wifes face very clearly when I took this photo, the camera could not, but that's exactly what I wanted when I took the photo...

silhouette.jpg

However, the guys are certainly working to keep things realistic...

It's been mentioned so I'm sure they're working towards it. But I can't say it'll be in the initial release at this point. I've also not attended a weekly meeting in a long time now due to the birth of my daughter so I am a little behind in the 'where we're at' category for what individuals are working on, etc, so at the moment I'm going on what I heard before and what I see in the latest builds.

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

Tim, on the subject of the driving physics, with all the new fancy 'tech' in rf2 are standard wheel/pedal/shifter like say the Logitech G25/7 going to be able to take full advantage of rf2? Or to rephrase, can these wheels do everything rf2 is able to give them with force feedback etc

6. shum94

shum94 Registered

Please attend next meeting.

Is the video will have sound ? Will feature one car inboard with others cars on tracks ? Will show day/night transition.

What about some development update. Whats been worked out lately, whats the hold up ?

Is it possible to see screens with one of the fx, i mean fx's are not complete in the engine right now but is there some fx already in that we could see or does it need all fx in to see it ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Again, thx Tim for the answers. Much appreciated.

8. 88mphTim

I'll do so as soon as my family situation is sorted out, thanks. Right now I have absolutely no intention of driving the 4-5 hours each way and falling asleep on the way because my newborn didn't allow me to sleep the night before.

As I said above, that video will come later. Good ideas for videos though.

What hold up are you talking about? We're still on our schedule for 2011.

Nope. If it were possible I would be doing it. :)

Edit: And the video I hope to get today should show what's been refined lately by some of the staff and serve as a dev update.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Tim, I have a 4 year old so those days of not getting sleep are still fresh on my mind. It is quite demanding to say the least. You and your family are very lucky that you have a job that allows you to spend so much time at home. To bad everyone can't relate.

10. 88mphTim

I do feel very privileged to be in a position to work like this, but it's also pretty disruptive. lol Over the past week I think I've worked about 30 different shifts, she really doesn't have a totally predictable pattern yet, so neither do I.

11. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Thanks Tim :)

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thank you for the video, Tim. Much appreciated.

Now I will be refreshing rFactor.net every 15 minutes or so ;)

13. simfan

simfan Registered

Thanks Tim :)

@K Szczech
    You can refresh youtube channel :D

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

We're going to crash rfactor.net :D

15. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

delete please

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
  16. 88mphTim

Change of plan. The vid showed one aspect, we're going to work on a few more and post all at the same time. No ETA but ASAP. :)

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Haha, you really must got scared of us crashing rfactor.net ;)

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

and so we wait again

19. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

You got me thinking here. In the context of rF1, a light map and multiplying would do pretty much the same thing right? As there is only one light source, and shadows are added afterwards... Correct?

20. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I have always wondered if a multa can be added into the default car shader and if it would look better than the shading layer used in templates.

I just tested using t1 and t1 mul t2, it doesn't seem to do exactly the same thing using the same shades (I mean making the multa map by opening the car template in PS and adding a white layer under the shading layer with the same blend as the normal skin), it comes out lighter. But, using a different blend in PS can darken it up and will give it the same effect.
    I just used simed to render it quickly and get a basic idea.
    t1 with shading layer : t1 with no shading layer : t1 mul t2 with the same levels of shade on the multa map as the normal skin : t1 mul t2 with an exaggerated darker shade on the multa map

But in saying that I just realised, isn't this what a bump map can do and have it be dynamic?
    What about greyscale normal maps? Which would basically just be this multa map.