Some new WIP images

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 10speed

10speed Registered

I wonder if post-effects can make the metallic paint of the cars look realistic because that's the biggest problem with rfactor1 regarding graphics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
  2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Tim, you just hit the misunderstanding of the problem.
    It is not texture which finally affects how objects looks like. How saturated is, how bright is etc. Shaders do that. Not FX which I understand as post processing effects.
    textures provide only base colour which MUST change not only due to light conditions, but also in relation to camera, light source and objects relative location. It should change dynamically while moving camera around an object
    If shaders will simulate lighting incorrectly, no FX will help anymore.

It's the reason why, some person likes more colourful image (like rf), other will say that desaturated is better (like iR). Both will have right, but only in specific conditions (due to to direction of camera, sun position etc)

10speed: I don't think so metalic painting will be available in rf2. It is because it requires special shader. While skinning, you should be able to select metalic or not. But who knows.

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I agree the HDR will have to take over the dynamic exposition of the human eye since my above post explained why its even needed.

Trackside camera's OK. But cockpit view should never have the word camera used in association with it. People have to stop thinking about it being an in-game camera and start thinking about it as an eyepoint.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

if you drive a car in real life, everything is changing with your location and direction changes. Even tarmac color is changing. Driver goes blind by sun for moments or see nothing when turns from brighter to darker env., etc. All this things should be simulated in cockpit. It is the same as simulation of red- and black-outs in aeroplanes simulations. It is not just special effect. It is simulation of how human eye reacts on light changes.

Maybe answer on question "why" helps you.
    It is because in real life, such conditions makes driving harder. And a player (simulation driver) should be affected by same or at least similar impediments

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I understand FX as all FX, including shadowing. None of them are final. Those FX WILL affect these things, as I've said. :) Different times of day create different shadowing. People have responded better to shots taken at certain times of day of the exact same textures. I'm not talking about bloom and HDR here...

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Again I will mention it. In-Game sunglass filters. Should remove 80% of the HDR flux and desaturated the color to appeal to some. Seems like a realistic addition to me.

7. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

[​IMG]
    I think the saturation in the pics is all right. Except for those orange trousers of the marshals. It's like they're glowing. Maybe being so extremely tight causes them to heat up, in which case it's fine (they have fire extinguishers after all).

What I don't like on this picture is the look of the wheel rims. For some reason, that's usually the case with cars by ISI both from rF and rF2. They look too flat (not necessarily because of the shape itself).

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Thanks Tim. Shading are not effects to me. It is part of gfx presentation. Seeing some basic spec-cube reflection on the car I though it is (almost) final version. Hope ISI devs will do missing improvements in shaders in time. I hope, because a few month may be not enough. Hope I'm wrong/

OK. So the game should have sunglasses simulation also ;)

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

I thought the same thing about the wheels, they look like a texture and not a 3D object

10. 88mphTim

Hm, that's an interesting observation. I kind of see the same thing, but they are actually 3D, you can see the side of the spokes.

11. 88mphTim

They do look pretty tight and bright... lol I'm not completely sure what the reason is for that tightness but I guess it could be to allow movement without overlap of the model. You probably don't want to spend too much time developing a way for the trouser legs to not clip when you can do this instead. The color looks like it's shiny rather than a flat color, I'll mention, though I can't say I have ever noticed any brightness while in the software myself.

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

BTW: Is crew/public movement recorded by motion capture technique or some other one?

13. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

Looking *good*

Looking good. Very good.

The lighting seems to have improved considerably. Can't wait to see all the effects running with realtime reflections.

Personally I don't find any issues with the marshalls' buns of any consequence. How far we've come, eh, when the marshalls' buns matter? lol

I'm impatient for release but actually very impressed that it's still being developed. 'Ready when it's ready' is fine for me, even though I so wantssss my precioussss.

I also appreciate the Devs availability and presence here btw - well done ISI. Strikes me ISI/rF has an ethos, not just a product. It adds to the product. Thanks.

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

Tim i see you said on Facebook you're hoping to post video tomorrow? Awesome!

15. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Thanks for the latest images Tim.

I think it's over-the-top to be analysing a few screenshots to the nth degree, especially since it's not even the final release version... especially since it's purely subjective, people will see things differently to one another. There's a minority of people (probably you graphics gurus here) who are noticing the details, but 99%+ of the people who will buy the game won't notice anything.

It becomes a case of the developers allocating their limited resources into the most 'fruitful' area for the best product given time and money contraints. Example, is the reflection aspect of the cars really going to decide whether this title is a success or not?...

16. Radar

Radar Registered

I for one would love to see the work of K Szczech added into rF2. The glass, the rear rims on the open wheeler the overall image just makes it that much better and more realistic IMHO.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Those shaders do look a lot better than the rF1 standard... in rF1. Until we see final-product rF2 shots we don't know where it's at. (so the question becomes, can people accept unfinished shots without criticising every little thing or would they prefer to have nothing until release?)

Same for colours, hard to judge the whole engine as it is on just a few shots, let alone further processing or development. And why can't pants be bright orange? Don't need to have a 'washed and hung out to dry for 6 months' look to them ;)

18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

by the time rF2 comes out they will be nice and faded :cool:

19. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Tim, just making sure Maxym is talking about shaders, not shadows.

Further, as with analyzing WIP-screens. I find it hard to judge which aspects of the graphics are (almost) final and which are still under progress, a placeholder, or not even present.
    For example, I assume shaders are almost final and will not change dramatically before release. I could be wrong though, because maybe what we see here are just temporary (old) shaders, which could be possible because these screen were made to show animated people, not shaders.
    The sky: I haven't seen any cumulus clouds in any previous WIP-shots. Maybe because there will be no cumulus clouds in the final version, maybe because they are still working on it, or maybe the WIP-screens weren't taken in places where cumulus clouds are likely to appear :)

There are so many aspects we can judge from these screens, maybe 80% of it is final, maybe 20%, I don't know.

20. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

[​IMG]

I would like to do a physics note here too, since there has been talk about the rims I noticed the rear is too low! Not even with a full tank it should be that low. Which should be an easy fix (and make the rear handle a bit better, probably).

There, now we have a first physics comment in a simracing forum thread of a proper sim. :D

Oh and about all this graphical thing, as long as I get the sun glaring on me and barely letting me see at dawn the road from the corner of Arnage or at dusk from the Dunlop bridge, as in real life Le Mans, I'm more than happy. Something like this:

[​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]