Some new WIP images

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

2. isamu

isamu Registered

I know it's a WIP but it still looks way too cartoony. I was honestly hoping for something more along the lines of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Omicron

Omicron Registered

Looks like those monitors on the pitwall and a jumbotron on image 2 show a real-time view (like in GP4). No more bik video.

4. DeDios

DeDios Registered

+1

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No. it doesn't. Fresnel effect is about how much light is reflected by a material depending on view angle.
    Go on first page of this thread and check K Szczech pictures - you will easily see this effect. Don't think it is overdone. It may looks like, because of clean background. If car put into correctly illuminated environment it looks just real (compare to cars in real word)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
  6. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

The pictures look nice and suggest that is good rFactor2

7. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Bearing in mind this is all still wip ;) I'm quite pleased with what i'm seeing. Thanks for sharing Tim.

8. theother5

theother5 Registered

Tim, hope the family is strong and well.

Thanks for the latest screen shots and the updates.

The discussion about colour, hue, light reflection, saturation, shadow intensity etc and all this is great and shows me nothing more than huge interest and support for this title and the anticipation for the mods it will spawn.

For me, I'll be inside the cockpit and I will see that car in front but may not be studying it in such detail .... I'll be defending my position and trying to gain one.
    Handling, feel, the sensation of grip, the sense of traction out of the corners, the slide of the tyres and the awareness of skid and wheel lock, coupled with sound is what I'm holding out for also. All this is difficult to assess via a 2D picture of course.

The eye candy is great, the improvements are clear even at this WIP stage and I continue to patiently wait for release information.

9. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Tim, thanks for the new screens. You mentioned on facebook that we properly can see a WIP video some time. Do you have a timeframe for that? :)

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Some info on this will be coming in the release info news when finally posted.

Thanks. :)

Ok, what was the shutter and aperture settings on the camera? ISO speed? What exact amount of sunlight was there? How reflective is the track surface? Getting it yet? :)

When rF1 was actually released those were not simplified shaders.

Next internal build. Just need them to replace a couple of textures. I tell you though I haven't had as much fun trying to get my laptime down to give a good representation in a video in a long time, possibly as much as a decade back. I love the content but also the way it drives, missed it a lot...

11. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Thanks Tim for the quick response. :)

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Maybe rF2 still doesn't look real just because whole ISI team things the same way.
    Of course it depends on interpretation of 'simplified' word. But rf1 shaders are quite 'plain' comparing to nowadays approaches.

best regards

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thanks for the screens, interesting.
    For the track, seems to be Estoril - Portugal, right?

14. 88mphTim

Yes, they are. I think rF1 was first released in 2005 though. So stating that the ISI team may do something because you're comparing 2005 technology with 2011 technology seems a little odd? Maybe the whole WIP thing is getting a little old and losing it's meaning, but these are still WIP, there's still things to be added and things refined.

15. 88mphTim

Yes, I believe so. Though I didn't take the screenshot that is certainly what it looks like.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I'm stating that shaders result shown on wip screenshots are simmilar to ones we know from rf1. Which is indeed odd.
    K Szczech, me and few others have described what is missing/what is wrong with those shaders and what is important to get good and real results. Don't be surprised by my statement while any next screenshot brings no improvements in this area. But maybe shaders will be improved until release. I would glad to see this. Please confirm.

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Bears Repeating. People often think what they see on TV or in pictures like that is what real life looks like. I find this both annoying and depressing. My real sanity breakdown comes every time I see anyone playing F1 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5Wg5m6l7vaI#at=30 (PS, that is where the camera is when they broadcast F1.. Not what the DRIVER is suppose to see.)

Life is bright, Life is colorful. Photos and videos even taken today with modern equipment cannot represent a real image on any display format that can fool the human eye into thinking it is real.

Want a good example?

This is the sun. It is bright. If you went outside and looked at it you would go blind like this poor guy.

[​IMG]

Are you going blind now? Looking at this image of the sun? Probably not. Your display device like every display device ever made cannot produce the necessary lumens to blind you.
    [​IMG]

So the best ISI can do is present and unfiltered image without color or brightness bias and hope it represents bright sunlight and colors as best it can on your monitor working under the assumption that is as close as they can get.

Here. I have some calibration images I made. Make sure your setup is tip-top before doing anything.
    [​IMG]
    A Userguide to the above graphic
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Calibration/1080PTVCalibrationExplained.png
    [​IMG]

18. simfan

simfan Registered

I know what you mean, but I still say that the colors on WIP images are too intense and saturated than in real life.
    Contrast, brightnest - maybe ok, but colors are not too good.

Just look around and see the environment around you in real life.
    You don't need to be a professional graphic designer to notice the differences.

I wait for the final product of course, and believe that it will be better.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

In that case I'm not with you ZeosPantera.
    You can simulate effect of dazzle. I would like to see some dynamic exposition function applied to that. Probably done with HDR. Arma2 has such feature: if you look at sun everything other is dimmed down. Some delay of exposition changes should be mixed with this to get real effect
    check this link to see how it work

20. 88mphTim

I know what you're saying, but I've had the same person both like and dislike the exact same textures now and that was due to the time of day in the software. I think the guys have a good set of base textures which can be manipulated by the FX they'll be adding to go along with the existing changing light conditions.