Some new WIP images

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Agree! Told 100 times that isi engines are too cartoonish, simbin showed that less colors look much better.
    Your edited screenshot is looking good.

2. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Those screenshots are quite impressive and much better than rFactor 1 and we're criticizing about it not being at full detail or the textures being "cartoonish?"

By the way, does rFactor 2 really reflect the actual environment instead of using a moving, 2D image?

3. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

We need to wait for HDR and see how it looks then. HDR with good exposition function may decrease saturation of bright colors.
    Unless HDR implementation will keep linear colors, then it will not change.

That moving 2D image is actually a cubemap (6 2D images in form of a cube).
    rFactor 2 will be able to update contents of that cubemap as car moves, so yes - you will have actual reflections. Hopefully this cubemap will be rendered in floating point precision to preserve actual light intensity of the environment.

Even if you don't have HDR in your scene, floating point cubemaps make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  4. LRT24

LRT24 Registered

I think part of the problem is the reflections on the cars aren't quite strong enough. And while this blue car is too bright, I think the rest of the things we can see in these screens are fine. Maybe the strength of the shadows could be increased just a little bit, but everything doesn't need to be washed out as proposed above. Of course we need to see the HDR before we can really tell.

5. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

[​IMG]
    Thankyou, lol :rolleyes:

The edit made by simfan are good too. (I'd be happy if the final product looked like that) It figures if the reflection opacity, shadow darkness, colour saturation and things of the sort are moddable, then people can make rF2 look the way they want and everybody would be happy.

I also echo the sentiments about shaders. They however, must be the best they possibly can be from ISI -as they're most likely be locked behind bars with a key and thrown away till rF3, probably. *pending kysz1's pixel shaders* :cool:

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I disagree on that. Even with a single light source, the light bounces off everything and the shadow would absolutely not be that dark. A most basic photography lighting course can teach about bouncing light. It's also possible that occlusion will affect this a lot.

7. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Light is also refracted by the atmosphere, so even if there's nothing to bounce off of, shadows are still going to be lighter because of the refraction caused by the atmosphere. The only real issue that I've seen with simulators is that shadows tend to get darker in areas where they overlap. This is present in rFactor 1, NASCAR SimRacing, and NASCAR Racing 2003 Season, which brings up the question, do overlapping shadows in rFactor cause the shadows to get darker? Because in real life, overlapping shadows do not cause the shadows to get darker unless there are two or more light sources, in which case the darker shadows are just a result of more light sources being blocked in that particular area.

One more thing, I think that ISI's shadows are more realistic than the edited image is.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The reflections are accurate.

With regards textures and their colors, I find this pretty interesting. What I have noticed is that the time of day (in the software) directly relates to the comments about how the textures look. I'm 100% certain that I could change minds on the palette not by changing the palette but by changing the time of day on the session... So I am hoping some of the FX will balance that out.

9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I run a fully calibrated FW900. If I say the brightness and colors are correct you can bank on it.

[​IMG]

10. beatnik

beatnik Registered

Nothin' like an old fashioned CRT monitor to prove brightness and colors... :)

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Where? I can't see anything.

Rfactor is a open-mod platform. If you have some material that you "cant" distribute for any reason, you don't have anything.

More than this, It would be way better if people who handle "particular" material stay quiet. If you wont share, don't mention. It's better policy.

I liked new official screenshots, by the way.

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I neither like of high saturated colours, but in this comparison I have to choose the ISI version (upper picture). Although the colours are a bit more satured than would it be in nature, the shadows and the contrast are much more natural than the modified version.

13. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

To be honest the game should have a calibration screen like most modern shooters do for contrast and brightness and even color temperature. Let everyone tweak till their heart is content.

Also what about having an option for wearing sunglasses? Like you can toggle it on with a key. Plenty of racers wear them to keep glare down so I don't see why it wouldnt be possible to simulate. OR just make the game super bright and actually wear sunglasses!

14. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

Liking the new screens.

Tim, could we have any info on the state of the physics engine and of the modding tools? We'd like to know a bit more about this, specially to start modding for rF2 ASAP.

Many thanks and congrats for the baby :)

15. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Satangoss,

First of all, I'm not a modder, I was referring to K Szczechs work.
    He doesn't create mods, he develops shaders. As far as I understand, a mod has to be created with these shaders in mind, just like RealFeel FFB does not work with every mod.
    He now asks for some extra modding freedom for shaders, so it would be easier for him to create, and easier for us to use them.

16. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Your wallpapers is as old as your crt pantera lol

17. simfan

simfan Registered

Look at this photos

http://galerie1.em-management.be/#0.1

Definitely darker shadows and less colors saturation than on rf2 WIP images.

18. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

This is just one situation (weather) with a camera with certain settings, so in now way this is how reality will always be.
    rF2 has variable weather, so shadows and color saturation all change along with the weather (sun intensity, time of day, clouds, rain etc)
    There is a lot of indirect light in the pit-area, so the shadows have to be less dark.

19. dragon

dragon Registered

Super. That's it. Thanks Tim, keep up the good. ;)

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yes. guys are right. screenshots are over saturated and cartoonish. But my guess is, that it's not due to textures, but to shaders.
    (iR has desaturated textures and looks good but unnatural also and it is wrong way to achieve real looking v-world)

K Szczech said once, everything reflects environment. So in real world any object reflects blue sky. That's one of the reason why colors are being desaturated in real world (more sun, sky disperse sun more intensive, means more bright-blue color will reflected by objects). But note, the intensity of reflection is not always the same -- it depends on sun and camera position relative to the object. In short, any object should have cubemap assigned and processed by shader with at least Fresnel effect. Unfortunately I cannot see Fresnel on those screenshots.

And please don't say it is WIP. It can't be a reason just a few months before release. Probably it is about approach of ISI programmers who are implemented ony simplified rf1-like shaders. And I bet they will no change that.

Of course I'm glad animated people are finally added to the sim. Hope they are captured by motion capture technique and just look natural (hard o judge from screenshots)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011