Release Date - Date 2011?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by log11, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

2. simfan

simfan Registered

I read italian forum also ;)
    Max wrote that beta should be (but still not 100% sure) realesed in 2011, but he isn't optimistic about full version in 2011.
    So who is right?

I think Q1 2012 sounds realistic. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  3. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Well, an italian user asked me, seen some things are still WIP (and Tim wrote again few days ago the initial release is planned in 2011) and seen we are almost in October, so still 3 months to the end of the year, if three months will be enough to finish the game.

Tim wrote also, yesterday, that rF development lasted around three years, asking himself (i guess kidding) if rF2 will beat the record.

So, long term development is planned, three months to the end of the year, sounds logical to me guessing that the initial release will be a beta version (also i wrote i am not sure if some requirements will be needed to get the beta).

I have no inside knowledge of ISI plans (i think only Gjon will say when is the moment for the first shipping), but, again, sounds to me a logical guess to hypothesize an initial beta release.

BTW, i dont see any contradiction between my guess and Tim words, on the contrary Tim raised some weeks ago an old post by Gjon about a "decent open beta time", why? but Tim is the "official voice" and he writes official statements, i am just a guy who supports ISI and who likes to hypothesize about many things ... :)

4. simfan

simfan Registered

You like to hypothesize about many things...hm :)

So, what do you think about Tim's word on facebook few weeks ago?

Q: so the Beta will be released in 2011 or the full game?
    A: RFactor2: As above, both.

and second one:

Q: rF2 for Christmas!!! I hope.....
    A: RFactor2: Should be before that....

I'm curious what do you think about that :)

5. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Ahh, i dont read facebook!

I think the chronological sequence will be: beta first, no beta later. :)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm gonna read WAAAAAY too much into that and presume we get Beta before December :D :D :D

7. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

Would be logical. Even the initial release should be before December to get benefit out of Christmas sales. A beta should be further few weeks before the initial release, so I hope we can play rF2 soon :D

8. 88mphTim

No need to read anything into it, just passing on some knowledge: Christmas is probably one of the worst times to release anything. The benefit of Christmas sales doesn't exist.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Oh, come on. If you had to choose, what do you want for Xmas: another pair of gloves/scarf/socks (again...) or rFactor 2, what would you take? ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  10. 88mphTim

That's the thing, with the exception of the few people who communicate with their family (hehehe) socks are probably what you'd get unless you buy rF2 for yourself. :)

11. theother5

theother5 Registered

LesiU, for you [and me], that question has an obvious and easy answer ... [not that I don't like socks!!!!!!] but for ISI, I can immediately see that, the proposition is totally different.

My initial thought as I read down was exactly Tim's last comment
    For ISI and similar products, Christmas sales will likely be no different than a slow week in June ....... It's a sim racer product with a dedicated fan base that is not even aimed at the mass market ....

12. Warlock

Warlock Registered

I just never heard more stupidity than this one. Now I'm not surprised why you still can not tell the exact date of release.

13. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Maybe thats right for some (or a lot off) items, but I think for this game it doesn't matter at all..... I don't think any one here will not buy the game, simply because X-mas has allready been..... Besides, I think most of us wouldn't wait on buying this game because it isn't X-mas yet (in the case that it is released some time before). Even if X-mas would boost the rF2 Sales, I'm sure that means that on other periods the sales will be slightly less.

If this, like rF1 wouldn't be in the stores to see, then I guess that only people will buy it who allready know and like this product, and they will buy it anyway, X-mas or not. (just my opinion)

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Lol. Just because you dont fully understand why, doesn't mean he is stupid hehe!

I dont know if this is still the case as it was a decade ago, it probably is, but xmas is release-season for allot of the big players, they want to get their games released so families etc can buy their products. and they make sure or at least try as hard as they can to hype their products and draw all attention to them.
    And this is the same for other non-digital products, they are all going for the cash as they know that xmas is soley about spending cash.

So its maybe wiser to sell a product when there is less competition on the market and also when there are less hypes drawing the attention away from a product.
    In fact there are noumerous BIG players whome also use this tactic, go off-season, get noticed, dont compete on the same time, etc.

Even for a niche market like simracing i would asume this is the case as well. simracers are not just simracers, they might be gamers as well going for BF3 on xmass and hold of with rf2 due to budget issues.
    simracers are also parents so xmas will be about the kids etc much more then dad's simulation game which is hard to explain to the misses in the first place, let alone on xmass.
    etc etc.

so.....its safe to say we will see the release before xmas!! wooohooo!!!

:p

15. 88mphTim

Care to expand?

Christmas in retail is great if you're in a store selling clothes, something everyone is aware of, something everyone has the technical knowledge to buy, but if I'm going to buy you a game... Er... What's your system specs? If I'm your wife/mother/father/brother/sister/great aunt, do I even know what systems specs are? What's a computer?

This isn't a console title, which is an easy buy, you know that, right? It won't even be released on DVD until 2012 so i isn't an easy buy for that, too.

The fact is, most people who would buy rF2 in December would buy it in June just as readily, except in December, they're broke. I'd LOVE to see your software sales stats because I've been with two self-selling game devs now and seen that Christmas does nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Infact, in software of this type - the type I have years of experience and have seen sales stats for for years of Christmas sales, I'd often call it a lull. Stupid? No. Lack of understanding? Perhaps, but not by me.

16. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

we were promised screenshots? received ... Release rF2 did not say anything. Races in rF1 continuing. Topic can be closed and did not investigate, nor did we should not. The guys are working, only when this is over or who does not know.
    Answers to all questions will be after the release rF2.

17. Warlock

Warlock Registered

My sales stats? You are kidding me? Where can I see RF sales stats? :)

Do you say: "Christmas is probably one of the worst times to release anything.
    "anything"!!! and this is really stupid. But now you talking just about rf. :) Ok. I believe that rf released six (or more) years ago has no xmas sales.
    But at all, benefits of xmas sales exist and I see it looking in my sales stats. ;)

18. 88mphTim

Ah, I understand. I wasn't supposed to be talking about rF2 or software releasing in this rF2 release thread. :) I thought the context of my statement was pretty darn strong along with the other posts, guess not.

As I said, unless you're treating yourself for Christmas, there is no spike in this type of product just because of the season. It's just not going to happen outside the console market or someone who tells their significant others what they want.

19. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I think it is pretty obvious Tim wasn't talking about Christmas ball balls. There are many many things that sell very well at Christmas. I can't imagine it would be a good idea to blow a limited marketing budget on a niche racing sim at a time when all the big multi million release campaigns are in full swing and disposible income is being sucked out of our pockets!

The only plus at Christmas is for those looking forward to spending some time off playing it but they are going to buy it anyway. I'd be happy for a decent beta period anyway as it will give us a greater opportunity for input and tweaks.

20. dragon

dragon Registered

so rF2 should by before that, mayby on Santa Claus. :D Do I have right? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.