Scripting/programming cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Servo, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Registered

I'm new to rFactor and actually waiting for the upcoming sequel (didn't like rFactor 1). I'm also interested in car creation.

Here's what I wondering, since this is supposedly to be a mod-friendly sim... Ever considered implementing some sort of simple scripting language for the actual car simulation? Various top-end cars have intricate traction and stability control systems. Having some sort of scripting possibilities that run next to the physics simulation would be great. Scripts could take input from various sensors, do their calculations and adjust various clutches, power distribution, suspension characteristics, and so on. Car modders could make use of this and try to create approximations of various systems.

A good example would for instance be the Nissan GT-R, which has a pretty extensive control system, yet no game simulates any aspect of it at all.

2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I do wonder about this sometimes. Computers in modern race cars are vitally important. Matching what they do accurately is as important as correct steering geometry or engine power delivery.

3. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

I'm not entirely sure of what you're really looking for in a way.

If you're looking for a script generator for physics, I've done that. Its more of a configurator. Generates HDV, TBC, and PM files in one session, and Eng.ini, gears.ini, and sfx files in another. It really helps to understand the details of how the car really drives, and it still takes a few hours of on track tweaking to get each car right.

I've used that on the IMSA GT mod and there are close to 100 models in it. They drive very realistically yet quite competitively within the class of the chosen vehicle.

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Hes talking about things like the Nissan GT-R.. That has computerized differentials, exhaust valves, suspension stiffeners, G-meters that determine where the power goes etc etc.

Where is the computer programming in a sim for a computer in a computer...?

5. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

That explains it better. I haven't figured out how to change the parameters that are "frozen" while on track such as diff settings. I have a suspicion thats a can of worms better left unopened. In part because it could evolve into something used for a cheat, and in part because there are a number of prominent modders that can't even build a decent set of physics to begin with.

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It is a massive missing piece of sim racing. Jump in with both feet or leave the pool is all I can think.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the issue being raised here is more about being to emulate the car's software by modifying various parameters (damper rates, power distribution, etc) based on various inputs, rather than just being able to modify them manually on the fly - though obviously one is really just an extension of the other.

But, whether the car comes with a script that determines how it behaves, or (and possibly in combination,) you have the ability to change certain setup parameters while in the car, the script and the range of allowable parameters would all form part of the vehicle definition and would therefore be subject to the same sort of verification as the rest of the vehicle. So I don't think any such capability in itself is something to be worried about.

An obvious missing 'feature' currently is the lack of onboard anti-roll bar adjustment, something Indianapolis 500 (the game, circa 1988?) had. Maybe for more fundamental adjustments such as this you could have it built into the game (same as brake bias, where there is an explicit switch to allow its onboard adjustment and an entry in the controller settings) but as you add more and more possible adjustments to cater for as many real life situations as possible you'd end up with a huge list; if, instead, a vehicle could just list possible manual and automatic adjustments, as part of some sort of scripting, it would give flexibility where needed and keeps things simple otherwise. Maybe... :D

It's an interesting area, anyway, and one I hope we see some support for at some point.

I do understand your last comment though - most modders already struggle to get car behaviour right without having to do some nasty fudging of figures (and, to be fair, it's not really their fault... even the best simulation is a simplification of what happens in real life, and no modder can hope to have every single bit of information required to accurately model a car even if the sim were somehow perfect), so adding in the ability to try and emulate the onboard software which further enhances (or otherwise) the handling would probably just make things worse. Still, given there are already too many parameters for any but the most technically minded people, what's a few more? :p

8. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

This sounds interesting, I´m working on a mod where I´m having problems replicating the Nissan Atessa-ETS system and a tool like that might help to understand all Diff/LSD parameters, is this someting you would like to share?