Which sim is best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyRickard, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Laser scanned tracks are available even for rF1 (Eastern Creek Laser, Oran Park LIDAR, which will most likely be converted at some point). It's just a matter of people going out to the track with the laser scanner and doing the work (which isn't cheap), and then doing the track model to fit the point cloud (some softwares can probably automate this process do a degree). It's not a question of not being able to do it for rF2, it's an issue of "Is this financially viable for this product?"

2. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

IMO actually RF2 is the best sim because the tyre effects theres no "luck" the feeling is more real i dont want to explain this at the point more but i think GTR3 will beat every other sim down to there knees

3. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Somebody should lock this thread.
    It's lowering the average IQ of all internet users....

4. Valerio Kinex

Valerio Kinex Registered

you pretty much said it all.
    Enjoy your iphone/ipad while i fly an f16 ultra modded then have some fun with cubase and music making pluggin my guitar in my super custom sound card..then go play some awesome rfactor 2 without my custom video card on my exacore cpu paiyng like the price you paid for your ipad/iracing subscription.

omg i got trolled hard.

of course.

5. mc0676

mc0676 Registered

If u want learn to drive a car, to learn how do a setup, to feel your car with a fantastic force feedback that speak to you every change in your setup, to manage your race, to respect your opponent, to manage your tyres, to finish every race without strange random system software crash well you've only a choise, Live for Speed.

If Live for Speed is not sufficient (because cars are not real, anche track too) then there are NetKar Pro or iRacing.

PS Alfa Romeo is dead 20 years ago, today Alfa Romeo is Fiat 100%, stop dreaming. :)

6. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

i hate iracing. It's too expensive and even there's no AI. So i think it's ridiculous to pay so many money for this game. I suppose rfactor is much better.

7. mc0676

mc0676 Registered

I use LFS from many years.

In LFS if u block a tyres u damage it, and after u must use attention in next corner and u've to avoid other blocking else your tyre explose, like in real life.
    In LFS when u go out of track your tyres are dirty and in next 2 or 3 corner u need reduce speed if u want turn the corner.

In rf1 u can use the grass like the asphalt and many people call it "simulator".

LFS is 8 years old.
    Tyres deformation instead, from 8 years ...

With an adsl with 1 mbit in upload u can start a server for 32 slot WITHOUT any lag problem, try to do it with rf1 ...or rf2.

8. markcooka

markcooka Registered

I have been playing pc racing sims/ games since my c64 days many years ago .I have owned a lot of different titles .

I have iracing but to me all the tracks are a bit boring and the same with the cars amongst other things that dont impress me . A friend of mine owns it also and has raced at phillip island a number of times for real ,and has said its not the same ,track layout is but some of the straights and corners he said did not feel right so i have serious doubts on how accurate the laser scan thing is .

The game i played more than any other game that i have ever owned and thats a lot of games would have to be GPL .Never had so much fun racing all those classic tracks rouen ,proper spa ,etc .Lots of great online races ,but also remember 56k dial up and those bloody discos when you where doing well in a online race .

So i am very excited about RF2 coming out with historic content which is right up my alley ,i just hope isi bring out some more great historic tracks ,would love to see rouen done to the standard of the RF2 spa which is fantastic.

9. blazko

blazko Registered

I really miss the old rsc forum.

10. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Ah but the V6 engine in my Alfa I owned originated in the 70s :) Anyway it could be worse I could be a Jag fan...

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Me too, in a way. I've been on a big nostalgic kick lately, I'm attempting to bid on an Amiga on eBay right now. ;)

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

still got my Amiga500 in the loft, you can have it....if you come and collect it ;)

13. corsa

corsa Registered

My Amiga 3000 is sitting in my basement gathering dust... right next to my Commodore 64... which is next to my Atari 2600... now you're tempting me to fire them up again!

14. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

My A500 is still sitting on my old desk with a plastic cover for 'protection'. It's just not the same having an Amiga emulator. Still the best computer I ever had (and probably will ever have)!

15. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

My favourite race sim is Mario kart on the wii.....but I don't have enough usb sockets for my CSR elite, Club sport pedals and button box so I have to make do with a waving a wii remote in the air :p

16. George Lemos

George Lemos Registered

Ridiculous, I hate these threads. I support iRacing and rFactor, they have their own strengths and weaknesses, and I use them for different types of racing. The same can be said about the quote above in the other direction. Someone that bashes iR because they have to justify to themselves NOT spending that kind of cash because they can get something they feel is good enough for a one time fee.

I'll continue to support rFactor2, and race with my buddies that choose to use it, but I guarantee you I will not give up iR. I'm very fond of that sim, and how its laid out with its online system. Especially while in BETA, the online racing is just better.

17. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Which of course was the original premise of this topic...

Probably time it was put to bed!

18. STRZ

STRZ Registered

My opinion of iRacing is that you have to put it as your Nr.1 life ingredient to really be able to enjoy it to the fullest = competing on the highest level there. No time for other sims, determined competition orientated hardware and settings ( wich kill immersion ) wich doesn't give you a disadvantage over others, and of course like the content wich mainly consists of american branded cars and tracks.

I enjoy the Iracing road DWC and Pro broadcasts, but i know that with the time i can dedicate to simracing and the immersive orientaded hardware i want to use for simracing could never make it into one of that series, and progressing is what iRacing is all about, the sense of the "game", it's mojo.

Apart from that i'm a huge aficionado of european cars and tracks, and there is just to few in iRacing right now. The stuff they offer is great and i would really consider joining iRacing if it would offer more variety there. just picking tracks and cars and run privte leagues.

I will never start a real racing carreer ( i'm already too old :p ) to make real use of laserscanning knowing where every bump is in RL. It won't hurt having it but for me it's no buying argument, it's sad that they're hammering the lasersanning into the peoples minds wich causes that they look down to every sim wich doesn't have it, and often behave a arrogant elitist way.

You can compare it with the linear frequency response studio monitors for music production have, and the crowd who use them for music listening in their living room only. Every speaker wich isn't linear as theirs gets bashed, ignoring the fact that most of the people who use those studiomonitors for music production do it because the quality of their product depends on this ability to hear whats really there, and most likely wouldn't use it for enjoying music in their homes because it's not necessary for enjoyment. Like the racers who use laserscanned tracks to prepare better for their RL races beause their success can be dependant of this, and average simracers who aren't RL racers making you believe laserscanning is needed to enjoy a sim.

RF and all the other great sims give me enough flexibility to enjoy simracing, but of course i understand that people aiming at RL racing or are already RL racers join iRacing to benefit from it in some way.

My 2 cents

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just remembered I have my Amiga CD32 in the loft as well....BLIMEY that was cool!