Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Descoat

Descoat Registered

Hi Ari. Nobody is banned only for that. This guy is been banned from racedepartment with another knicks.
    ISI needs to make builds for long time and we will have anticheats because you need to reprogram every new build.

Or, make a league with the same build since first and last race.

And, yes, our team were suspecting about some guys in VEC. There's not only one. Hope they will catch all them.

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

And yes a league CAN ban who ever they have hard enough suspicion and data about, this is a nonprofit hobby and NO services have been sold or legal commitments made - can there be false positives ? most lightly. But since there IS no way to prove cheat 100%, there is no alternative to using analyzation of known data and evaluate wether they seem reasonable/plausible.

The league have years of experience and this is not the first time we've seen pings go haywire on cheating clients, possibly because data is being percieved as failed again and again by the server...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  3. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I'm all for banning cheats and all that, but since when does a 1000ms ping constitute proof? I've had 1000ms ping many times before, through no fault of my own, and I've never cheated in my life.

Way to be presumptuous.

4. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I did not realize cheating was such a big issue in rF2.
    It's sad to think somebody would resort to that, to win.
    What would they gain anyway...other than an empty, pointless, win.
    I'd rather finish 'dead' last every time, than cheat in ANY game.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Why do you keep asuming that this was the only reason ? If VEC were to point out exactly which other pointers where used it would only help others to wash these out...

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It would help other leagues in the world if we knew what to look out for too... ;)

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

One person gets accused and now it's a "big issue"? :confused: :confused:

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

What I meant was I did not realize it was a big issue.;)

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If someone is on the server for 30mins with a perfect ping and then out of nowhere they run a time that is 2 secs faster than their other times and their ping jumps up to 1000ms (this isn't just high, this is off the charts) just for that one lap, it does sound a little suspect to me. Especially when the driver already has a rep. To top it off the driver refuses to submit a replay of his lap which is very clearly in the rules. Everyone is mandated to submit a replay of their lap so it can be reviewed for cutting. Maybe his tactic is to use a tool to throttle the crap out of his connection while he makes big cuts and no one can see them because his car is warping all over the track.

10. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Why should someone send a replay when server saves it?!? Dont understand it. If they want to look on the replay then the server replay is the most reliable one.

The truth is that we all can have 1000 doubts but we cant proof nothing about cheaters. They live among us, that i can assure you all. Been on admin side for a long time (not only in simracing titles) and cheating is a way of life for many. Just a quick Google and we can see it.

About the 2secs diference.......well, if it was in Mores is one thing, if it was in Nords its another. There are so many variables that can be present that we can never be sure. And if for some reason a friend pass by and pick the wheel? And if that "guy" is a playseat in some racing club used by many?

What annoys me even more than a crappy cheater is the inertia by the devs (not only rf2 but all).

This is allways a tabu issue, here and everywhere. When someone starts to discuss this issue it ends in only one thing......nothing, zero.

People that say that cheating in simracing doesnt exist are naive.....

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Actually the most reliable replay is the client side. That is the only way to see "exactly" what the driver saw. If his ping was at 1000ms then clearly the servers replay isn't going to be accurate because it will be missing large chunks of data which is filled in with lots of prediction code. But the main reason drivers are mandated to submit laps is to minimize the workload of the stewards. Also, in the past we did PreQ which would last a week. It would be a massive pain for admins to sift though all the replay files archiving the fastest laps day in and day out. The rule has been in place since 2006.

As for the 2 secs gap. Yes I see your point. But his time was .6 faster then the next fastest guy. We just don't have gaps that big in our league in qualy. It's full of aliens. .2 is actually extreme in our league. The track BTW is Silverstone.

12. Valter Cardoso

Then we´re still on the "potential cheater" side of things.....
    They (that admins) should know what they´re doing but a little extra help by the sims devs (all of them) would be nice to all of us which admin online leagues.

PS- Why do they need to search all weeks replays? They dont know what time and day that particular lap was made?

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

VEC has been known to kick people for high pings a lot of the years. We are well aware that people shouldn't race with high pings. But this particular driver has has had a ping of around 30ms for the past few months. Even during this Q session his ping was 30ms right up until this hotlap. No one else on the server had these crazy pings. You can see in several replays that his car is all over the track while everyone else is racing fine.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

You can ban person if it's obvious enough. We (FSR) once banned a guy who gained 2 seconds in a single corner, because he was wallriding invisible wall. We didn't know about the exact cheat back then, but it was still easy decision to ban.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Exactly. It doesn't have to be a RAM cheat necessarily. Exploiting a bug in the track/car is just as bad. It's just poor sportsmanship and no one needs that sort of crap in a league.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Yes, I agree that every league can ban person due many reasons but when VEC has no anti-cheat application there is no solid proof and make name public is not fair.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That's okay, he can just change his name and join another league and get banned from yet another one just like he has in the past. This guy has a record. It's not like VEC is banning people left and right. The last guy that was banned I remember being on the server practicing with him once at LM. We both entered the first chicane, I was ahead of him on the entrance, he missed his mark, spun and then nailed the wall, I exit clean and see him spinning over and over behind me and then coming to a stop in the grass. Then somehow he managed to get out of the grass, get back on the track and then pass me by the end of the Mulsanne straight. We are in the same class... yeah, clearly something fishy there. I was running minimal wings too.

It seems like the cheaters all have something in common. They run random unbelievably fast laps, do wreckless track reentries, love blocking and can't keep the car on track to save their lives.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

In short, cheaters are idiots and often behave really odd, both on track and in forums - they will not last long in a serious league.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Ram cheat is common in rFactor1 and there is anti-cheat application to rFactor1, I have raced many rFactor1 leagues where it was used and I have also used application as league admin.

Fortunately I have not seen RAM cheat in rFactor2 and I hope I never will and as I said earlier, every league can ban person due many reasons but when no anti-cheat application there is no solid proof and making name public is not fair it must be proven guilty history or not.

There is one thing I can assure to all, if somebody cheat in our servers and I catch that m.....f... with solid proof I make name, street address, city, country and IP public in forums.

20. Valter Cardoso

Thats the stupid ones which we all take care easily.
    The problem is on other type of rats.
    The ones which just need 0,4s and we wont notice. A simple change in track grip or fuel consuption is enough for them.....