Is rFactor2 an Upgrade or New Game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snipe3000, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Snipe3000

Snipe3000 Registered

Should I wait to buy rFactor sense #2 is right around the corner, or will purchasing rFactor 1 give me access to rFactor 2?

Thanks.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

rF2 will be not an upgrade to rF1.
    But I suggest to buy rF1 in any case.

3. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

You will not regret that if you buy rFactor 1.

4. Bee

Bee Former ISI Staff

If what you mean by "access" is that by buying rfactor 1 you would get rfactor 2 for free, then no, it would not provide you with free "access" since rf2 is not an upgrade to rf1.

5. michael1

michael1 Banned

6. theother5

theother5 Registered

rFactor2 is coming but there is no official release date yet and honestly, most trust ISI and are accepting the wait .

I say this because, it's important background for your decision. rF1 is still a fantastic sim and bang for buck, it cannot be beaten. For every weakness it may have compared to newer titles, it still maintains a strength. For example, graphics are getting out of date [but we're not talking PACman graphics] yet it has a wonderful range of mods [cars, tracks].
    Setup details can be easy using sliders or complicated as you get into decimal point degrees of Caster angle but the weather choice is fairly rigid.

The advice to get rF1 ... [on the assumption that you want to get onto the sim track asap] ..... is a solid answer. It's cost effective, hugely fun and offers much more even today than the newer titles available.

And here's the kicker ... even if rFactor2 comes out in 1 month after your rFactor1 purchase, you're not really losing. rFactor2 is not an upgrade [Quote post #4] but in essence it will be an evolution in terms of experience, quality, physics, handling, tuning and all the rest.

rF1 will not disappoint. rF2 is bound to DELIGHT

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I would purchase rF1. rF2 is enough of a distance away in time that you can have some good fun between now and when rF2 is released.

To answer just the subject of this post (and backup the person above), it depends how you look at it. Technically rF2 could be called an update (or an 'evolution') to the first title ISI ever produced (which was probably a military simulator of some sort). But it is being sold and released as a completely standalone product in it's own right with it's own features (some of which benefitted from other software the team produces), the same way rF1 was.

8. dragon

dragon Registered

I start getting more worry your's statement. You answered one day that I will not have to wait so much, but it is increasingly becoming a reality. :confused:

Not less but still look forward to rF2. :rolleyes:

9. theother5

theother5 Registered

@ dragon .... Waiting sure is hard work sometimes especially when all indicators suggest this release will be very very much worth the wait.
    All we can really do is fill in the time now with all the things we will not be doing when rF2 gets released.:p

10. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

rFactor2 is a new game with a new physics engine and I am sure that the delay is due to tweaking this new physics engine closer to perfection

11. codehound

codehound Registered

I did. I bought the disk version and installed it. Never got to the track because it would crash to desktop while going through the various setup options (always a different place). No error info given. iRacing, LFS, GT Legends, Racing07, GTR2, no problems. I hope rF2 will be a bit more robust.

12. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

That must be something at your end, buddy. :) rFactor is running very stable at most´s systems.

13. dragon

dragon Registered

No comment was not even a release date is shifting its release, lol :mad:

14. sriltz123

sriltz123 Registered

I start getting more worry your's statement. You answered one day that I will not have to wait so much, but it is increasingly becoming a reality.