rFactor 2 Track Progress -- Round 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well you need to make up your mind. You want to see WIP but not until it's done?

You got a Spa video, if they wait for sound (which means having a finished car as well) you'd have nothing and be complaining about having nothing. If they put in temporary sounds you'd complain about the quality of them, or you'd recognise the temporary car and complain that it doesn't handle right. It's work in progress, they make progress on something (be it body reflections, or a track, or whatever) and they give us a sneak peek at it - and most of us say, hey, that's pretty cool. You look at every other thing in the picture/video and complain about it.

Do you understand? Your complaining is part of the reason we aren't getting many WIP shots/videos - and you're complaining about it.

Well done :cool:

2. shum94

shum94 Registered

Re read re read re read and re ...

3. dragon

dragon Registered

Can we see some pictures of the settings panel of the car, and some further details of the user menu?

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Actually, Now is the time to get OUR INPUT on the menu layout and navigation structure. I believe my first post on the rF wishlist thread was specifically concerning making the menu as utilitarian as possible. An update can fix physics and internals but I presume the menu will not be upgradable to make it not fail.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

if the menus in RF2 are as easy to Mod as in rF1 then ISI dont need to do much, just release with a decent looking one that works and the community will do the rest, which I applaud as i'd rather ISI worried about getting the game right not what specialFX to use on the menu system ;)

6. dragon

dragon Registered

Is the track will be on the dust, which in time will be blown by vehicles?

7. shum94

shum94 Registered

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I don't think its as simple as that. The style I envision for being the most efficient is a thumbnails style with 20 cars or tracks on screen at once and then the option to switch to detail view and see sortable adjustable columns containing options like miles driven, creator, mod name, race or street, manufacturer, Horsepower, weight, power-to-weight, #of gears, drive wheels, hours driven etc. To see that stuff now you have to go into and load every car and go to the information tab. I would love to know what car I have driven the most in miles and time in rFactor1.. But alas it is difficult to navigate to that information and I have 70 gigs of mods.

Tracks would be the same 2 view system. Thumbnails showing the layout with a large popup and then detail list view for # of corners, hours/miles driven, creator, etc.

ALSO please remove the entire "buy car" system. It is annoying and pointless. If we wanted a gran-turismo unlock system we would all play that.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

Completely agree.

10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

The buy car system adds value to offline play. It is only pointless if you've spawned out of the babyfactory. :p

11. Ronin Hammer

Ronin Hammer Registered

have you payed for the game allready...?

then stop demanding things. jeez..

ISI - Keep working, focus on the game rather than itty bitty details like anoyed teens who obviously needs everything to be done their way.

i bought Sportscar GT when it came out and i kept driving it untill rFactor came out, i can wait a bit longer rF2 and im not the only one. ;)

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I couldn't agree more, the buy car and their upgrades paid there's nothing to do with a hardcore simulator purposes as rF. It could be interesting in Gran Turismo series but it's not that most simmers are looking for.

After all, in GT5 you cannot type codes or edit directly your credits into Notepad. If you only be aware this possibility is enough kills the quite few enjoy that the feature could add to rF.

13. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

You can already bypass it, what is the harm of leaving it as is?

I don't understand how one can sidestep the 'buy car' system with a cheat code or by file editing and then complain about it being pointless when it was their own action that rendered it pointless.

Owning a car takes money, as racing cars don't grow on trees. The 'buy car' system is indeed simulating the experience of choosing which upgrade your money buys, much like real life. rF is a better simulator for having something in place.

How does this have anything to do with Track Progress?

14. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

What they mean is that the whole buying system is pointless when you simply want to experience some decent league racing. Especially with so many beautiful mods around. Do you really want to spend hours or even days after you installed a new mod before you can actually drive in your league with the car you want to drive?
    I do NOT want to unlock stuff. I want to drive.

Just imagine in a thread of a league where someone says "Sorry, I can't participate in today's race. I had to format my computer and reinstall rFactor. I didn't have the time to drive offline for the last 3 days to unlock the car I'm supposed to drive in the race today. Sorry."

So, in other words, getting rid of this whole buying system? Hell yes!

15. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

In notepad you can change how much money you got in that mod, how much experience you got (since some cars recquire you to have X experience). And if that is to much work, then in the chatbox you can type a simple code that unlocks all cars, and a lot of money. That makes that you certainly don't have to miss races because of it. In other words, people who don't like it can easily work around it, while for other people it adds to the value of especially offline racing.

But Lordpantsington's point was that this discussion is in the wrong thread, since this thread is supposed to be about the Track Progress, so I suggest we get back on that subject ;)

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Because I have to bypass it. And I have to "buy" the car reguardless of editing the cch for more cash. rRactor2 should simply give a nice organized list of the cars you have installed and then you drive them. Click car, Click track, Drive.

Its a thread we had all believed the dev's might be watching. So everyone jumps on it waving both hands. Other threads get ignored.

17. dragon

dragon Registered

I think that this site is ignored ;/

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And that's fine for playing online only, but for anyone that wants to drive offline, against vastly improved AI (which is apparently coming), the buying cars and cash adds a LOT to the experience. If it's not a huge hassle to get around it for online play (or even to just be able to drive any car you want, if that's what you'd prefer) then it's better to have something for everyone's tastes than to alienate those who might want to use the game for something else - and who's to say there's not a simple way to do it in the GUI in rF2?

If you take it out completely, and just have a list of installed cars and tracks, those that can't or don't want to race online have to go and buy another game because rFactor will be pretty boring for them. Why do that? (it's a bit like saying let's completely block people from using automatic gears for cars that don't have it available - because it's supposed to be a sim. Well it's actually a game, and everyone gets something different out of it)

As for this thread, and the forum as a whole, I would imagine for the most part the actual devs don't even look at it. If one or two ISI guys hang around and pass on any ideas they see that have merit, that's more than would happen without the forum at all. And most 'ideas' brought up here are pretty vague anyway, adding more work to fully flesh out the details before implementation, so apart from the occasional "oops, didn't think of that" I'd imagine most pie-in-the-sky ideas brought up here will remain just that for the initial release at least.

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Only two solutions to this crappy problem. Remove the buy feature and make only some people happy or strengthen the security so it can't be cheated and make some people rage hard (myself included).

See no point in the whole thing if it can be undone with notepad. In the back of your mind you know you can just cheat. Kind of like spending hours breaking through a brick wall with your bare hands when there is a door right there. You may feel accomplished but everyone just looks at you funny.

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

You got a good point there. I mean, when I'm playing a game offline the whole world is watching me and I really feel embarressed because they are laughing on me.....

and even if this was true, WHO CARES!!!!! If you want to play offline that way, why should it be unable because some people don't like it and are apperently to lazy to change it for them. In rF1 I also knew I could change it, and I did it for a few mods in the beginning so I could use some cars/upgrades online immediatly. But since I started again I haven't done so, and in my opinion it makes it more interesting. And now you are saying that you don't like it, and don't want to work around it, so I shouldn't be able to enjoy that feature???

If I like breaking through a brick wall then who are you to say that I may not do so because it makes you look funny at me :S