rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Agreed

Doesn't really matter because the cameras view is so wide. I cant read the gauges with the video fullscreen so it isn't good enough to represent actually "being there".

I can assure your.. Feedback will be had.

2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Something is wrong...

I saw this right now ,

and this is what i call bad markting.

Video image is bad, color are bad, come on, i want physics and FFB but i want good graphics too....

3. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This appears to be filmed off of a television.. fail on ISR's part.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's a promo video based on the movie, Grand Prix. Many may even recognize specific camera placements. :)

5. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Tim, please give us a video of real ingame quality. 30 seconds is enough.

That one is very poor even if based in a movie....

6. 88mphTim

That footage doesn't exist. At the time this video was started, for example, HDR wasn't stable, so it couldn't be turned on for all shots, so it was turned off. Same with some other effects. And while HDR is now more stable the software is still in a beta state, so these issues still apply in some areas with this beta software which is being beta tested.

If you want legitimate ingame quality from an unfinished beta software which incomplete testing status and WIP effects just so you can tell us how it doesn't look right, even though we know it doesn't look right, because it isn't how it even looks when it is right, then I'm not sure I understand why. I would focus on what you CAN see in the video. You are seeing mirage heat haze on the track surface, you are seeing heat haze behind cars, you are seeing much improved shadowing, you are seeing the physics as best as they can be shown and some awesome content, while paying homage to one of the greatest racing movies and eras of motorsports in history. :)

Edit: But, I'll see what I can do. It might have to be in an F3 car though, they're enormous fun.

edit 2: saying the same thing in two places, not sure which said it better, but worth reading the other maybe... http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...nside-Sim-Racing?p=14009&viewfull=1#post14009

7. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Registered

many thanks in advance and we wait with great interest for your reaction

8. shum94

shum94 Registered

First time i notice this term. I thought it would be for everyone. Only for modders ??

Edit : i saw your answer.

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

A couple of laps in an F3 car at even Mills would help use get a 'feel' of the physics. We understand by now it might not look pretty

One more question, was the big mother track Scott talking about Monaco??

10. 88mphTim

Yup. It wasn't the length, it was the model complexity and object complexity. :)

I personally don't believe in videos showing physics. It's possible, yes, but I believe I could video myself driving an arcade game realistically (that's the main difference, whether you drive realistically or not, because I'm pretty sure I could make the physics look terrible if I had wheel lag, or just slow hands). But I see what you want, will see what I can do.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You can't determine physics from watching a video. I've never understood how people can look at a few seconds of a cockpit view video and say this or that about the handling of a car in a game/sim.

12. 88mphTim

Wow, nice to have someone agree with me on that. Didn't expect that.

I'm not going to let my personal opinion stop me from doing what's wanted though. :)

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Yes i can.

But since you can't, when you have the software, how do you judge the physics, you just fire a lap eyes closed and feel the ffb ? It's all about the correct representation of your actions/interactions into the screen.

You observe a video of real racing and you can't see when the car slides or not ? Oversteering, understeering ?

Can't you see, physics here are not right representation of real deal. Hotlapping like crazy using a keyboard (meaning full pressure on throttle, braking) ?

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Now this is a video of me in rFactor and even i reckon at 1mn55 something is wrong, the curb should have punished for the touch i did. This is a way better representation of real driving.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

rFactor 2 and it's 400 hz physic engine and better ffb should even be way better than this and hopefully avoid this kind of behavior in this video :

2mn35 the car goes in oversteering and i catch it quick but i fight a code and i act 2 times to get it back.

Just watching this 5 sec in the straight line and i know what kind of "physics" i shall have...

14. 88mphTim

Everybody has a different style and that is going to show different handling characteristics. I already had people excited just because I managed to catch a slide in a video of rF2. They all said how much of a big step it was because that wasn't possible in rF1, but I've always felt capable of catching them in rF1 (at least in the ISI-made cars), too.

Oversteer and understeer proves nothing, except that (among other reasons) you either have too much throttle, too little front wing, the setup is bad or your driving is bad. Again, what does seeing that prove about physics? I used to do glorious powerslides back in 1998 in GPL, but there's room for improvement, no?

As I said, it's about being the driver when it comes to appreciating the physics. Otherwise, why would you even buy simulations? Just watch youtube and enjoy those physics...

15. shum94

shum94 Registered

I enjoy watching videos of real deal, specialy the kind i posted yesterday, the go pro one.

But maybe it can be fun to be the one who's drivin ?? I guess you did not watch my videos entirely, i have fun behind the wheel, it's quiet obvious when you see my videos.

16. shum94

shum94 Registered

Question : How is it right now in rF2, less convincing than this or better ?

17. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Tim,

like asked before, do you happen to know if the shadow flickering problem that occurs in very large tracks has been fixed in rF2? ...Yes there are some maniacs that want to build road tracks exceeding hundreds of kilometers :D

18. ajk

ajk Registered

Slides are definitely catchable in rF1 with most cars. There are cars that feel they just snap out of your hands but fiddling with the setup and getting adjusted to the car makes all the difference (F1 '71 for example). Once you get it together you can really trust the car and spank it. Winning the car and myself is very rewarding as typically my wins end right there :D

And if there's a car that just doesn't perform at all as one would expect the cuplrit is probably not the physics of rF but the mod. There's a lot of very driveable cars but also a bunch that just don't feel right. I expect the best to get better with rF2 but with mods coming from community there will always be cars that just don't make enough sense.

I also think the Monaco video looked very nice from some angles already. Like noted here you cannot draw any conclusion on the physics by a video but the movement of the cars looked smooth and tyres seemed to have nice lateral bite ;)

19. 88mphTim

But that's my point. I could quite easily powerslide and have fun around a track "showing off" and then do another lap (with the same physics) driving smooth. But which lap would show the best physics? ;) Neither!

20. 88mphTim

Usually won't answer something like that if I don't know. How long are we talking? Spa doesn't suffer from that.

Edit: Sorry, I see you did give a length. Still, don't have an answer so didn't give one. The only flickering I have seen (before things were refined) was LOD issues before I upgraded and was able to run max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.