rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Sunday is random Youtube of rF1 appreciation day.

We can pick a video each week and point out things from rF1 we don't want to see in rF2..

Example.. I hate how the shadows disappear on long tracks. Please fix this. Also tire interactions with the ground have always looked laggy and fake.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That's actually a request for modders, not for ISI.

Why even bring that up? Do they also look laggy and fake on rF2 WIP videos?

3. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

No but people care about their future sim and they want to give their feedback. For example I hope reflections will be dynamic and not static on the car. Anyway we still have to see a proper video with HDR enabled and the last stuff.

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, but this thread is called "Developer Q&A", so if people will start talking here for the sake of talking, then what about all those who actually do have a question for developwers? Do they need to write their questions in red or something?

As for reflections - of course they're dynamic - that's allready implemented and you can see it in WIP videos. If as you say, you really care about rFactor2 you should allready know that there will be real reflections.

That's the whole point of giving feedback - reacting to something that has been shown, not making up things - that's what the wishlist thread is for. Let's keep this thread as clean as possible, shall we? :) Otherwise there's little reason for it to exist at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Actually it is problem in the engine.

6. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

Whats up, it's Monday!

7. Dave Schnare

Dave Schnare Registered

Nascar Rules

As a Stockcar modding team...I was wondering if Nascar rules will be updaed for rfactor 2, such things as double file restarts and a working lucky dog rule.

Thanks,
    Dave

8. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

We work for rallycross. rFactor is the only product on which you can implement all plans, but with the new future possibilities rFactor2 we want to disclose fully the potential of the features of these races, so I persistently ask questions about the dynamic operation of the road and pollution of the soil.

now being developed trails Toyota Speedway of competition Global Rallycross, the basis of a track from Iracing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2011
  9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

What about damage? Is it going to be improved in some way? in which one?

10. frankwer

frankwer Registered

DmitryRus: Nice rallycross work there. I see there is an alternative line there on the track, is there some logic in rFactor that checks if u have driven that alternative line atleast 1 time during a race? If not, then i hope rF2 will have such logic. Rallycross is cool and intense.

11. shum94

shum94 Registered

Didnt bother to find a right place to post it, here will do.

Anyone pationate of racing and anyone making a racing game should watch this video !

12. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

^ The helmet cam give you a false/wrong perspective of what you would see in real life. Every bump and shake gets exaggerated.

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Agree but i like the fact we are at the level of the helmet and not with a cam in the far back of the cockpit.
    And the sound, is just marvelous.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, but possibly not activated until in the beta or with initial release. 100% sure of changes, just not sure when they'll go 'final' and you'll get to use them in the software.

15. sg333

sg333 Registered

Tim, is the video you mentioned on Facebook still coming today?

16. 88mphTim

Unfortunately even though you're getting a cool (very cool) video today posted by friends of ours in a couple of hours, HDR isn't enabled on that as it was started before the HDR tech was as stable as it is now. Still, as I said before, we are starting to put some work into showing you what things are going to look like at least for the modders open beta.

Today's video is really more a really good showing (in my opinion - as best as you can show in a video) of physics and the quality of the track itself. The track is also a brand-new never announced real track.

I can only really say that I've never had a much fun and felt the driving as much. Unfortunately no screenshot, no video or even a post by me is going to do the job of giving you what you need answered here. Only you can determine that you like and feel these things... :)

In a good mood today? :) It's really close to Friday.

Some of that LOD stuff may extend into the open beta, but I haven't seen many screens from the guys testing with low-end PCs that are that different to what I see yet, but of course in testing I am sure things might change one way or the other later.

At this point, yes. I feel that it is more important the devs spend maximum time bringing you the software more than info about the software. It's very close to you being able to answer a lot of your own questions, but maybe we'll squeeze one in.

17. 88mphTim

If I say it's in development, does that count? :)

You don't know a release date for software unless you have a marketing department or a publisher pushing a date on you.

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to drive rF2 in 2011, the open modders beta will be this year. The initial release, however, although I think 2011, that's what's up in the air. You don't know how long a testing period is going to be if you're completely honest and not being pushed to release the beta as a finished product. And the fact is, the initial release of rFactor 2 won't be the final, either. :) rFactor 1 didn't get onto DVD as version 1.0.

Most software released on the market today is forced out on a particular date. Marketing teams like to be able to say very early when you'll be able to buy it (I certainly would love to with rFactor 2, but we're not in that position as we're our own publisher).

I can't tell you how many times I have bought a game and it simply doesn't run... I have to wait for the first patch, the second patch, etc, just to be able to play the game. A game that I thought was ready to play (perhaps naively) on release day.

Software development seems totally random when you're on the inside of it. Unexpected and expected things, which all take time, spring up. If you have a release date, you either have to push that release date, which is a marketing nightmare, or you have to put out a buggy product pretending it's final and hope your testing team can work quick enough that by the time everybody gets their DVDs you have a patch ready to go.

Fortunately, and I know it's annoying to not know, Gjon has too much respect for the customer (and experience) to just pluck a date out of the air and hope it sticks.

Sorry for the long one... But one of the things that annoys me the most these days as a consumer is the 'release day patch' and betas being labelled as final. /rant ;)

18. 88mphTim

Yes.

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks

Can you clarify 'open modders beta' please? Will this be a limited signup or how will that work?

20. 88mphTim

Current plan is to have it open. Mentioning modders is because really that what we'll want testing at that time (although that doesn't mean we expect no feedback about anything else).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.