rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

Well, they could have the same name, same 3d Model, same skin textures, same DDS mapping and so on. But, I have to say, they won't have the same physical model. They can be the same cars only in a philosophical sense.

Drive some laps with Corvette C6R deliverd by GTR Evolution (Sinmbin) and right away do the same onboard of Enduracers C6R. I fell a yawning difference between them.

Considering the official content of RFactor 1, I'm quite confident ISI is able to do a C6R as good as Simbin or even better. With all respect to the modders, the modelling work is a piece-of-art but the physics definitely needs tons of polishing.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Well, it depends on what you want to achieve... both groups (we can call SimBin a modding group, that do that stuff commercially, on their own) wanted to have a specific feeling of their physics and it looks like both got what they wanted.
    I don't expect ISI have access to all important technical data of GT cars, so I also don't expect their physics will be top notch... but at least it would be nice to have proper susp geometry and some aero stuff... and of course tyres that are working as a racing tyre should.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sorry if I double post an answer here (I can't remember where I got to and don't want to be going through the whole thread right now).

At the moment, no. Just Keyboard commands or possibly commands mapped out to buttons, etc.

4. 88mphTim

Replays are in-progress. They will work quite differently from what I understand... The same person who did the huge majority of the tire model is doing it. So unfortunately can't give out much on that.

5. 88mphTim

Yes and yes.

6. 88mphTim

Not actually sure on that. But I have seen free software which converts voice to key commands... I'm not sure how well it would do with the background noise (car engine, etc) but you can use the program to open programs via keyboard commands and then type letters, etc, directly. Maybe this could be used and mapped to the relevant kb commands. Something to think about anyway as I have seen a few queries on this now.

7. 88mphTim

Just seen Scott said the same thing. :)

8. 88mphTim

You mean such as steering input, throttle, brake, gear? I asked for that... Not sure what will make it into the initial release at this point though.

9. 88mphTim

You mean as the tire rotates almost locked it would find that flat spot and not be able to rotate any longer? You would have to be braking almost perfectly for that to occur I would think, literally ounces of pedal pressure away from locking the wheel... As for whether the software can support that, I would think so, but I think it would be incredibly difficult to do it, real or software.

What I mean is that successive locks would not find the same spot if the tire is truly locked, as it would be not rotating. You would have to be on the edge of it. In which case I don't know... lol Flatspots are visual and physical, your grip on that area of the tire is reduced but whether it would work that way with successive flatspots I can't confirm for sure...

10. 88mphTim

Probably more so than the old one. I have quick hands though and could catch cars in rFactor 1 quite a lot (depends on the car more than rF1), but seem to have a better connection with rF2 than I had with rF1. I notice myself being able to hold slides more... Whether it's me, the software, the tire model, the car, I don't really know... I just know I'm having an easier time...

11. 88mphTim

Digital inputs are on/off (100%/0%). If you use an analogue gamepad (with progressive input) then rF1 and rF2 can give you progressive output.

The arms look pretty good to me in rF2. You can adjust them a little bit for rotation, etc.

12. 88mphTim

+1 :)

13. 88mphTim

Definitely worth checking into. However, I believe only one race does this in one series? It's really up to the devs if they want to put the time in... But I'll mention it.

14. 88mphTim

Yes, server software still exists, it's just launched and works a bit differently.

15. 88mphTim

There's plenty of sources for info available to the devs. rF2 will continue to grow after initial release, but the tire model will be there. Maybe some tweaks and additions to it later on.

16. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thanks for all the answers.

As for 3-wide starts it's not just about being 3-wide. In Indy 500 safety car pulls far away before leader starts picking up the pace. In rF leader would get EOLL penalty for not keeping up with safety car.
    Another example - NASCAR forbids crossing lanes during double-file restarts. Even leader can be black-flagged if he crosses lanes before finish line, as it happened during this year's Daytona 500.
    Last year in IndyCar about 4 drivers wasted their "push to pass" on race start, because cars were not properly lined-up and there was no green flag.
    Paul Tracy nearly won Indy 500 once - he passed the leader but like 2 seconds later there was a FCY. Indy 500 rules stated that track order will revert to end of previous lap.
    In NASCAR there can be a "competition yellow" on say, lap 50, and no refuelling is allowed before that lap.
    And so on... Implementing all this would be insane and rules keep changing.

That's why I suggested a plugin interface for this on RSC forums, and here, on this forum: LINK

People would be able to write their own server-side plugins that ask rFactor for things like: "is that guy in pitlane?", "is safety car in pitlane?", "are these guys side by side?", "did that guy serve S&G?", "is that car out of control?", "is that car on track?". And the same plugin would tell rFactor: "Let safety car go on track now.", "let safety car accelerate to 130 mph now", "give that guy a DT penalty", "tell that guy to stay behind that guy" and so on.

So more less something like spotter interface, but server-side and related to race control.

Simply put - implementing various race rules would cost you time. You could stick to just basic race rules ("road", "road with rolling start" and "oval") and invest saved time on implementing such plugin interface. Not necessarily in initial release of rF 2 :)

17. 88mphTim

That's interesting. Bringing up the same game again (lol) but what you're asking for sounds very similar to the modding plugins for Egosoft's games. It works very well there...

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

We all have real arms (I hope) their existence in-game is meaningless if using a FFB wheel to drive and not a gamepad.

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That doesn't mean, there shouldn't be any, even if that could be possible... you can always disable them in options :p

20. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Just a question that came to mind. Sorry if it's already been asked before. On an oval course, if the programmed racing line (used by AI and in rF1, makes a visible groove) is on the bottom, but the line being used is on the top, will the line that's actually being used be the one with the most grip? I know that in the rain, the one that's used is dryer and has more grip, but what if you are already in dry weather?

And one more thing, how programmable are the racing flags? Can they be used the way that this page describes them being used for? Different leagues using the same flags for different things?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.