rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

There were 3 problems with headlights in rFactor.
    1. It wasn't really a lighting but was equally framerate-consuming to lighting
    2. Instead of being projected forward, light was projected top-down
    3. Boundaries used when projecting headlight texture were not optimized - causing much bigger performance drop than they really needed to.

As for light flares - yes, adding them helps a lot, because you can finally see approaching car in mirror, rather than two white points that you can't see.

But perhaps now, with introduction of HDR and postprocessing flares will no longer be needed. All you need to do is make object bright to see a glow around it. Flare effect can be added by postprocessing filter, too. This means modders will no longer have to add them. Engine will.
    Postprocessing flares are better in other ways, too. For example - if you see headlights in mirror, and they have a flare - this flare will be visible in mirror only. But if postprocessing adds flares, then that car's flare will expand beyond mirror boundaries - just like you're being blinded by light reflected in mirror. This is more realistic.
    Of course effect of air lit up by strong light should be composed into scene, not added in postprocessing, but flares and other blinding effects are down to postprocessing.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  2. phantom

phantom Registered

Hi. I wonder are you guys doing something against the cheaters? In Rfactor there are lots of cheaters in online games. And there are no any anti cheat programs that can detect them.

3. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Regardless that is your opinion of the rules and doesn't change the fact that it is a real set of rules, like it or not our league tries to give our drivers the most real experience because we are die hard F1 fans and F1 sim racers. We have created some league spec plugins but it's not 100% the best route because of many loop holes the drivers can find to cheat, thankfully we have honest drivers so far...

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

2:32 in the tire model video, i just noticed the marshall waving the yellow flag! Very nice!

edit: also at 0:12 the pit lane marshall waving the car out. Nice touches

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011
  5. dragon

dragon Registered

Regarding the movie about 1:48 you can see that it is faster Gjon Camaj of 3.324 sec, maybe one day perform the race with a series of Formula ISI: ISI vs. the world: P

6. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Regarding the new system of how tire damage is handled, I have three questions.

1) - What type of changes have been made to calculate tire heat? I have a mod I'm working on in rFactor 1 where I'm having problems with the left side tires overheating and the right side tires not getting hot enough, even though I'm on an oval that turns left. Will I still have this problem in rFactor 2?

2) - Will the car shape and setup help to determine the aerodynamics of the race car? It seems that in rFactor 1, with ride height specifically, the ride height incorrectly effects the aerodynamics of the race car.

3) - At super-speedways, if two or more cars are bump-drafting for extended periods of time, will the engines heat up more because of the bump-draft, just as they do in real life? And will the engines start cooling back down when the car leaves the draft?

7. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

- 0:29 on the left, 0:34 on the right: an animated blow-up cactus :p
    - Looks like all the marshals are well-equipped with toilets :p
    - I really like the sky, it's the first time I see some clouds.

8. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

I'd like to know also, isi seem a bit reluctant to reply on the matter....

9. dragon

dragon Registered

When you locked the wheels, if there are flat spot ? Is it likely to affect the conducting of the vehicle?

10. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

One thing which genuinely worries me reading these forums is that some people might be expecting ISI to work miracles. The only way to minimise cheating is to nail down your sim really hard, like iRacing. And even iRacing has had (rare) issues despite its severe restrictions on how you can use their code.

League racing will always be the best way of minimising problems of any kind. Race with the same people all the time and you'll soon get an idea if someone is running faster than they have the talent for. And in the world of online racing where you rarely meet the same people in a race... who cares who's cheating? Seriously.

Ultimately this hobby is about satisfaction. If cheaters get satisfaction from hacking and winning, good luck to them. There's very rarely anything at stake apart from pride, and if that small minority of the community need a crutch to support their weak egos, then what the heck. There are worse things to worry about. Maybe their false victories driving in circles sat at a computer will make them happier people in real life, and mean they kick fewer cats. :)

Obviously I'm not saying cheating is a good thing, or acceptable, or that I have any respect for anyone doing it. And hopefully ISI will have found a way to make some kind of checks possible. But making a sim flexible enough to be widely modded and yet secure enough to stop cheating has to be nothing short of impossible.

11. Aubrey Windle

Aubrey Windle Registered

Hi Tim, long time no "see". :)

I was wondering if bad manual gear shifts will cause damage, so you could burn out your clutch or lose a gear.

Also curious if any new features for turbos would be added. Realistic garage settings, turbo lag, sound effects, etc.

12. Crash

Crash Registered

Will there be an option to buy a physical DVD as we did with rf1?

I know its a bit old-fashioned but I dislike online activation type systems - much prefer to spend my money on something physical :eek:

13. WallyM

WallyM Registered

One thing I would really like to see is moddable AI, so the community can develop their own AI, much like FPS games can have third party AI bots. It takes the workload away from ISI ;)

14. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Tim in the next video block the diff, is more fun... :p :p :p

[​IMG]

15. otta56

otta56 Registered

rF2 Force Feedback Question

I am currently using both Leo's FFB and Realfeel FFB to get a combination of tire and suspension feedback that feels most natural to me. Will end users be able to tune the proportion of tire to suspension information? Will the rF2 ffb even model tire and/or suspension feedback or some combination of the two? I found the original ffb in rF1 difficult to drive by feel...

Thanks for continuing to evolve a great sim!

Btw, can individual threads be assigned to specific cores?

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Every program can be hacked. Cheaters will find a way to cheat. I really hope ISI doesn't bother with anti cheats. If they decide to go through steam then steam has VAC.

I really dont' see what the big deal is. Are you going to lose sponsorship money if you lose to a cheater? ;)

17. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

People against an anti-cheat programe wtf.... who would ever expect to hear the likes unless its from a cheater.

The average joe can with simplicity cheat in rfactor this means leagues are under threat of someone using it, the cheat kicking around is that good you can speed your car up fractionlly to get on the same pace as the quick guys or even slightly quicker, now who would even bat an eyelid to that, what we want is something in place to prevent your average joe from ever trying it in the first place, if they know rfactor 2 has a decent anti cheat programe then it will detter anyone from using it apart from the hardcore hackers.

cdnracer it might not effect you with your 4 friends and 10 ai cars, but it is a big deal to large leagues who need somthing in place as a deterrent.

18. Wayne Reed

Wayne Reed Registered

I would have to go with you on this Hutch-SCO. Any one that see's any form of cheating not a bad thing has to be a cheat. No one in there right mind wants cheating of any kind.

19. Brettie

Brettie Registered

rFactor 2 Developer Q&A AI

Will there be a ghost car and if so is it easy to copy that setup to AI files such as in the game Nascar Heat?
    It is here were you can effectively dual with yourself or add AI to an online game to boost numbers. If you do a perfect lap then they will do a perfect lap.
    Keep up the good work ISI as the first version is the best value for money $50 I ever spent.:):):)
    Brett

20. javixeneize

javixeneize Registered

Will it work with alienware?

This looks fantastic, but it requires a NASA computer

I have

Processor: Intel Core i5 Processor 430M(2.26GHz,3MB cache)
    Memory: 4096MB (2x2048) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    Graphics : 1GB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 5850

Will Rfactor run under this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.